Attempt on portrait with Photoshop + Portraiture

VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
edited May 8, 2008 in People
Im planning about taking a portrait job by next year, so, I have about a year to learn about shooting, lighting, and editing. This is my first try playing for portrait photo with Photoshop + Portaiture, just something I did last night, to try to achieve a studio photo looks.

Comments, critics, suggestions, tips and tricks to achieve that studio photo looks is greatly appreciated.

Before
279104050_tpJDv-L.jpg

After
291188818_YoEkK-L-1.jpg

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Vanquiz wrote:
    Im planning about taking a portrait job by next year, so, I have about a year to learn about shooting, lightning, and editing. This is my first try playing for portrait photo with Photoshop + Portaiture, just something I did last night, to try to achieve a studio photo looks.
    Pros:
    • Nice compo
    • Good cleanup job
    • Pretty model
    • Good angle
    Cons:
    • Background distracts
    • Lighting is blah
    HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    As an exercise in cleaning up skin, I'd say you did well.
    As an exercise in making your model look like she's having her best day, I think you went way too far.

In my opinion, there's a big line between removing zits and "temporary" blemishes, and erasing freckles, and other permanent features of a person's skin. Unless your subject specifically requests this treatment, I would never presume to do it. Seems to me that, in effect, you're saying to your model that their natural appearance is deficient.

Sure, it's all a matter of degree, but I think you went too far. YMMV.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    You can tell that the nose has been altered significantly, look at the lines of the nose in the original and the lines of the nose in the second, parts of it are missing...ne_nau.gif
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Pretty girl. I would remove the hair(?) under her nose and mouth.
    LadyTX
  • VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Thank you all for the suggestions, I agree, the background is distracting, and the lighting is really dull, I need to learn more about that.

I also agree, this is way too far in editing, I dont think I would dare to go this far if I do this for clients without their permission, since they might take offense for it.

LadyTX, I really didnt pay attention until you mentioned it, you're right, that piece of hair is really distracting.

I really wanted to see how far I can go with Photoshop, since I just started to learn how, including following tutorials from dgin, and I guess I got to carried away and did some nose job,Laughing.gif , it is indeed a very powerful tool.
  • gchappelgchappel Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    I have found the technique of overshooting corrections in photoshop, and then working back to reality can be helpful. Just duplicate the layer you are working on and go to work- oversmooth, over soften, remove all the wrinkles, etc. Then back down the opacity and let the untouched layer show through. I find this a quick and very controllable method to work portraits.
    YMMV, but it works for me.
    Gary
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    I actually like the original better. The freckles give her character. not sure about the toning you have going on.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear