Options

Going... going...

Jerry CurtisJerry Curtis Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
edited April 11, 2005 in Landscapes
These are just two of thousands of fishing "stages" that dot the coast of Newfoundland, Canada, that have fallen into a state of disrepair after the failure, almost 15 years ago, of the inshore, small-boat cod fishery due to foreign overfishing and general mis-management of the resource. It's highly questionable whether the stock will ever recover to the point of sustaining the fishery as it once was. A lesson learned too late, it would seem...

31824701.jpg

Comments and/or constructive criticizm invited and welcomed as always.
-Jerry

Whether you think that you can or that you can't, you are usually right.
- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50

Comments

• Options
    gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    These are just two of thousands of fishing "stages" that dot the coast of Newfoundland, Canada, that have fallen into a state of disrepair after the failure, almost 15 years ago, of the inshore, small-boat cod fishery due to foreign overfishing and general mis-management of the resource. It's highly questionable whether the stock will ever recover to the point of sustaining the fishery as it once was. A lesson learned too late, it would seem...

Comments and/or constructive criticizm invited and welcomed as always.
    Nice shot. I have a special appreciation for the abandoned building and the feel of these kind of shots. I like the faded remnants of color. I sort of wish that pole wasn't right in the middle of the image, but that's just the way it was located.

regards,

Gary
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2005
    Thank you. Gary...
    gpgold wrote:
    Nice shot. I have a special appreciation for the abandoned building and the feel of these kind of shots. I like the faded remnants of color. I sort of wish that pole wasn't right in the middle of the image, but that's just the way it was located.

regards,

Gary
    And I'm with you on that pole - I thought of it as undesirable, too.

Yet, Norman Rich, a renown visual artist and photographer from Vancouver, dropped by my gallery a couple of months ago, picked out this same image as one he "especially responded to", and had this to say about the pole:

"I see the the vertical pole in this photo that partitons the rectangle as a key visual component. The pole in the original above is positioned nearly in the central of the rectangle, with the base of the pole, close to a center point. I was interested in exploring the possibilities of an off center position of this pole. Below a re weighting of the elements through an adjustment to the size and position of the pole. This also has the effect of taking a few steps forward with the crop, at the same time"

Unfortunately his variation of the image is gone from the post, but I did like it.

Norman's work is awesome, and certainly lends credence to his views.
    http://www.pbase.com/norman

The principles of effective visual design are still a bit foggy to me headscratch.gif Maybe someday it will become clearer? :):

Thanks again for commenting!
    -Jerry

- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
  • Options
    gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    And I'm with you on that pole - I thought of it as undesirable, too.

Yet, Norman Rich, a renown visual artist and photographer from Vancouver dropped by my gallery a couple of months ago, picked out this image as one he "especially responded to", and had this to say about the pole:

"I see the the vertical pole in this photo that partitons the rectangle as a key visual component. The pole in the original above is positioned nearly in the central of the rectangle, with the base of the pole, close to a center point. I was interested in exploring the possibilities of an off center position of this pole. Below a re weighting of the elements through an adjustment to the size and position of the pole. This also has the effect of taking a few steps forward with the crop, at the same time"

Unfortunately his variation of the image is gone from the post, but I did like it.

Norman's work is awesome, and certainly lends credence to his views.
    http://www.pbase.com/norman

The principles of effective visual design are still a bit foggy to me headscratch.gif Maybe someday it will become clearer? :):

Thanks again for commenting!
    Jerry,

Thanks very much for the rest of the story. It is wonderful how much there is to learn in this forum.

regards,

Gary
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    newfie tourist board is running wonderful advertorials in natural history magazine - i really must get up there, jerry. so close!

you're very lucky to be amidst such beauty.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2005
    Did they mention the fog, drizzle and rain...
    andy wrote:
    newfie tourist board is running wonderful advertorials in natural history magazine - i really must get up there, jerry. so close!

you're very lucky to be amidst such beauty.
    Did they mention the fog, drizzle and rain we get this time of year? mwink.gif

But, hey... we do have some fabulous scenery up here. Photographers from world-wide come here to capture the unique flavor of the place. A professional photographer client of mine also leads wilderness photo expeditions.

Of course, if you just wanted to just take in the more accessible highlights, look no farther! wave.gif
    -Jerry

- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50
  • Options
    JamieCJamieC Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2005
    Did they mention the fog, drizzle and rain we get this time of year? mwink.gif
    Only reason I left!

Jamie
  • Options
    KirwinKirwin Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2005
    Hi Jerry,

Fantastic image!clap.gif Love the greens, blues, and grays. Nice capture of a bit of the regional history! Thanks for sharin'.
    Regards,
    Kirwin
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    Jerry
    Very nice love the wood the water and color
    Great reflections tooclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    Nice peacefull shot. Its interesting to look into.
  • Options
    edited April 11, 2005
    Thanks for the compliments...
    Glad you all enjoyed this little slice of rural Newfoundland that's very much in danger of fading into history.
    -Jerry

- Henry Ford

www.pbase.com/icicle50