artsy opinion pls

TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
edited May 10, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
i would like to ask you how you feel about these, for a local artsy thing i have coming up...i know what i like and i would like to compare that to what the dgrin members have to say.....
these were taken in the Zzyzx area way out in the middle of nowhere....
any strike you in a good, or bad way....basically give me your c&c.
please vote and enter a statment why you voted for one or the other....

thanks.
Aaron Nelson

which do you prefere to gaze at? 42 votes

54%
gusNikolaiChrisJAngeloThe Curious Camelsherstonemanta1900VisualXpressionsGreensquaredpemmettCuongleafortezweiblumenTPBinKCdarkdragonthisiscyndideidrejohnsonlisapRobinivichmarrum 23 votes
4%
annnna8888Felicia 2 votes
21%
spider-tBlue SnapshotsAwais YaqubTentacionbch2300PilznrIzzy GaravitoNeilLTango 9 votes
0%
2%
Jeff_Milo 1 vote
16%
anwmn1quarkDaddyOJetbsquaredBPerronhedless 7 votes

Comments

• BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    i would like to ask you how you feel about these, for a local artsy thing i have coming up...i know what i like and i would like to compare that to what the dgrin members have to say.....
    these were taken in the Zzyzz area way out in the middle of nowhere....
    any strike you in a good, or bad way....basically give me your c&c.
    please vote and enter a statment why you voted for one or the other....

thanks.
    291173851_dKF3M-L.jpg

This one gets my vote out of the series...To be honest, not my thing, but I like this one the best.
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Of these choices I would agree that #6 is the best in my opinion. However- I must say that #1 - you were so close to having the best shot. If you could have had the bottle in focus and the horizon straight or at least straighter- this would have made for the most dynamic photo. The bottle in the lower right works and the mountain in the background is at the just the right distance. In #6 it is significantly greater and does not have the same effect.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    yup i wasnt happy about the focus miss on 1
    thats why i cropd it so close to the corner....
    i have plenty of room in the orig to straighten the horizon back out....

thanks guys...
    Aaron Nelson
  • BPerronBPerron Registered Users Posts: 464 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Of these choices I would agree that #6 is the best in my opinion. However- I must say that #1 - you were so close to having the best shot. If you could have had the bottle in focus and the horizon straight or at least straighter- this would have made for the most dynamic photo. The bottle in the lower right works and the mountain in the background is at the just the right distance. In #6 it is significantly greater and does not have the same effect.

Great minds think alike...that would have been my chioce if the bottle was at least in focus...To the OP...anyways, I do like 6, I think you have something there
    Brandon Perron Photography
    www.brandonperron.com
  • marrummarrum Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 7, 2008
    bottle
    I like the first shot the best. Although the bottle is out of focus, the angle of the horizon and the placement of the bottle is perfect. It says to me, in the middle of no-where coming to the end of something (be it what ever you want) it shows a sort of drunken state of misery. just put the bottle in focus because IT is the source of the photo to me at least.
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    anwmn1 wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    #1 is the best I think, tho flawed, of course.

#3 & 4 are very similar to it, tho #3 is also flawed, not focus this time but DOF is too shallow.

I think the tipped horizon is essential to the idea of this image, and I think the extra emphasis on the bottle that #3 has is also.

So #3 it is for me!

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
    edited May 7, 2008
    #3 i think if i use 3 i will take away some of the vintte...(maybe)

#1...just too bad i missd!

#6, i like the layers, and bump the expo

no going back for quite some time....i guess that bottle has been there that long it will be there
    when i do go back.......
    Aaron Nelson
    edited May 7, 2008
    marrum wrote:
    I like the first shot the best. Although the bottle is out of focus, the angle of the horizon and the placement of the bottle is perfect. It says to me, in the middle of no-where coming to the end of something (be it what ever you want) it shows a sort of drunken state of misery. just put the bottle in focus because IT is the source of the photo to me at least.

well put.

everybody thank you for the input thus far!!!
    Aaron Nelson
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    #1. Ditto on what others said.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Aaron,

Definitely #1. I love the fact that the bottle is out of focus. To me it is unexpected and states that the bottle is not the main focal point, but it adds tremendously to the story.

I do not care for the white stick of string that is pointing upward from the top of the bottle. It is distracting to me from the overall image. Very nicely done regardless.
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    I like the first one, it's unique looking to me. Although the bottle is out of focus it's not so much so that you don't know what it is. Very nice.

Peace, gail
    edited May 7, 2008
    Aaron,

Definitely #1. I love the fact that the bottle is out of focus. To me it is unexpected and states that the bottle is not the main focal point, but it adds tremendously to the story.

I do not care for the white stick of string that is pointing upward from the top of the bottle. It is distracting to me from the overall image. Very nicely done regardless.

if you notice #6 is the only one without the tumbleweed stick....
    i noticed it finally and removed it, but then didnt go back to all the previous angles to reshoot....live and learn, note to self: start to pay better attention next time im in the middle of the desert....

i was thinking on an attempt of cloning the stick out of the choosen shot....but its going to be a 19in print so i will try it and see if it can be pulled off...

im liking #1 a little more, i think the votes are swaying me...but i will need to see it printed to say if the slight oof is going to work for it....

thanks to everyone that took the time to vote and also those that made a statement.!
    Aaron Nelson
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    291170104_VLESD-L.jpg
    I like this one the best and the more I look at it the better it gets. I initially was going to say that the bottle should be in focus, but then I started thinking about if this was the view of someone in a desert then the shot implies thirst, desparation, being disoriented, unable to focus tired, etc. The angle of the horizon adds the the overall feel of desparation and makes me want to reach out and hand the bottle to the person.

Good image.
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • davidweaverdavidweaver Registered Users Posts: 681 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Number 1. Other's could work as well but I like the first one.

BTW: Don't you mean Zzyzx?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zzyzx%2C_California
    edited May 9, 2008
    Zzyzz Zzyzx Zzxzz Zzzzzzzzz they are all the same to me......:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    I like #3, I like the ruggedness of the cap and the indents is similar to the landscape surrounding the bottle. The white stick makes me think that someone got fed up trying to open the bottle and left it....(Imagination running wild)
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
    edited May 9, 2008
    thanks for your statment, i would agree with you, i love the ruggedness of the cap!
    i voted in my own poll for #3, last night i tried to clone the stick out but it runs to closely along the bottles outline, so it didnt workout like i'd hoped....

im going to print and see how the detail of the stick affects me when looking at it on paper....it may enhance the overall look to it....(i hope)

thank you everyone for the help and your opinions!

looks like #1 is the popular one....

i look forward to any other comments,thumb.gif
    Aaron Nelson
  • MeepMeep Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 10, 2008
    #1 for sure, and I kinda like the horizon being off. #6 is good as well. The rest do not grab my attention.
    edited May 10, 2008
    pemmett wrote:
    I like this one the best and the more I look at it the better it gets. I initially was going to say that the bottle should be in focus, but then I started thinking about if this was the view of someone in a desert then the shot implies thirst, desparation, being disoriented, unable to focus tired, etc. The angle of the horizon adds the the overall feel of desparation and makes me want to reach out and hand the bottle to the person.

Good image.

great discription, thanks!
    Aaron Nelson