My Last Baseball Shots...

LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
edited May 15, 2008 in Sports
:D OK they are not my last, but the season is over for this team. Shot 4 of their games this year (my first sale was from one of them) and I learned a lot and had a blast! Thanks to everyone on this forum, I have learned a TON here the past few months. These are with the d300 and a rented 70-200 2.8 (I have GOT to get on of these!). C&C welcome, but I really tried to enjoy the game rather than shoot. Thanks for looking!

1. Gotcha!

291538616_UWCAR-M.jpg

2. Safe! Too bad it was the wrong team...

291538748_NQ2QT-M.jpg

3. Turning the double...I was concentrating on this guy (#8), he's the reason we started with this team (wife's boss son)

291547666_gKFvM-M.jpg

4. Yeah I know, I was on the wrong side...

291538690_HZoy6-M.jpg
Randy Sartin
http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)

Comments

• kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    Nice color, contrast etc...
    1. Kind of a weird angle and look, hard to tell what's going on even though I know what's going on

2. not much there really. Play wasn't close and there's just too much going on, not tight enough.

3. This one would've been really good if it were much tighter.

4. Yep wrong side, but if you could've nailed the BOB then it could've worked.

You said you were using a rented 70-200/2.8, but it looks like you were stopped way down. headscratch.gif

The first shot wouldn't make much difference, but the 3rd and 4th shots could benefit for alot less DOF, especially the 2nd shot and in way tighter.

Just MO though.

Gene
  • LensCapLensCap Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2008
    kini62 wrote:
    Nice color, contrast etc...
    kini62 wrote:
    1. Kind of a weird angle and look, hard to tell what's going on even though I know what's going on
    Yeah it's a weird crop/angle for sure
    2.8, 1/6400, 70mm, iso400

2. not much there really. Play wasn't close and there's just too much going on, not tight enough.
    Just didn't zoom in
    2.8, 1/4000, 70mm, iso400

3. This one would've been really good if it were much tighter.
    I got the whole series here, it was a nasty play...I was probably actually in the stands here, not enough lens
    2.8, 1/500, 200mm, iso 400

4. Yep wrong side, but if you could've nailed the BOB then it could've worked.
    5.6, 1/1600, 180mm, iso400

You said you were using a rented 70-200/2.8, but it looks like you were stopped way down. headscratch.gif

The first shot wouldn't make much difference, but the 3rd and 4th shots could benefit for alot less DOF, especially the 2nd shot and in way tighter.

Just MO though.

Gene

2 big questions...

What's up with the DOF, everything was 2.8 except #4?

I get happy when I get BIF (Ball In Frame :D ), let alone Ball On Bat? I was trying to do it with frame rates on this day, but I suspect those in the know do it with timing?

Thanks for the comments and help!
    Sorry for the way I replied in the quote, I'll do better next time!
    Randy Sartin
    http://sartinphoto.com

Nikon Stuff (not that it really matters)
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    DOF, could've fooled meeek7.gif

#3 (double play shot) sure doesn't look like it, given how far the background is from the players.

But if you were at 200mm you were pretty far away. I was assuming (wrongly apparently) that you were on the field since you were shooting for the team.

I'm always surprised at how "short" 200mm is even on a crop camera when I shoot my daughter's U6 soccer. Even on a 20-25meter field it's really too short to shoot from one end to the other without cropping.

Gene
  • jhelmsjhelms Registered Users Posts: 651 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    I think #2 is awesome, even though #3 has our corporate logo in it (I'm a mortgage guy with First Horizon / First Tennessee).
    John in Georgia
    Nikon | Private Photojournalist