Which stairset do you prefer?

Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
edited May 10, 2008 in Landscapes
I am torn and looking for some external opinions. Which of these 2 pictures do you prefer and why?

2374100836_52245783e2.jpg?v=12068869892374100210_df2aa2bafa.jpg?v=1206887026
I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
Canon 40D
Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw

Comments

• jclim00jclim00 Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited May 8, 2008
    I prefer the second composition, but to be honest those shadows are really, really distracting to me. I'd possibly retake this on a cloudy day.
  • timk519timk519 Registered Users Posts: 831 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    jclim00 wrote:
    I prefer the second composition, but to be honest those shadows are really, really distracting to me. I'd possibly retake this on a cloudy day.
    It looks like someone's standing at the bottom of the stairs on both pictures, and that distracts from the overall feel of the image.

Cropping out the shadow from the one that focuses on the further stair-steps and doing some PP tweaks leaves this:

292460218_YvUyZ-O.jpg

which isn't much, and has a tree trunk that dominates the foreground.

If you can shoot that w/out whoever was standing there, the question then becomes do you need an image where the focus staircase is on the foreground, or the background?
    • Save $5 off your first year's SmugMug image hosting with coupon code hccesQbqNBJbc
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Trying to ignore the shadows, I prefer the first. I like curves that flow into the corners of photos.
  • darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    I agree with the others about the shadows. As they are, I also like the first one best. In the first shot, I like the curve and I like that the steps in the foreground have an interesting pattern.

If you can get to the location again at twilight, I think you could get a really great long exposure here.
    ~ Lisa
  • Duckys54Duckys54 Registered Users Posts: 273 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Thanks for your input guys. And as much as I'd love to reshoot it, Ireland is kind of far away and expensive ne_nau.gif
    I am Trevor and I have upgraded:
    Canon 40D
    Canon EF-S 17-85 IS

http://www.flickr.com/trevaftw