Options

Hard drive -- price matching.

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited May 9, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
We needed to replace a hard drive that went out in my wife's computer. I shopped Walmart.com and found one for $99. (500 gig) Went to walmart. They had it for $119. I asked and they said that walmart.com is a different thing than walmart store.

Went to Best buy and asked if they price matched walmart. yes. they looked it up on walmart.com, sure enough $99. (It was$149 at best buy).

So, bottom line: Best Buy price matches Walmart.com, but Walmart stores do not price match walmart .com. Go figure.

Comments

• Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    I wouldn't buy a hard drive from either of those places. I'd get it from NewEgg.com.
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    CatOne wrote:
    I wouldn't buy a hard drive from either of those places. I'd get it from NewEgg.com.

$127.99 at Newegg
    $99 at walmart.com

Same WD 500g external drive
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    most brick/mortar store will have higher prices than their internet counterparts......Their excuse is the overhead to the actual store......Ihave also seen Bbuy online stating "ONLINE PRICE ONLY".........But most of the time BBUY 's are the same online and at the store.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    most brick/mortar store will have higher prices than their internet counterparts......Their excuse is the overhead to the actual store......Ihave also seen Bbuy online stating "ONLINE PRICE ONLY".........But most of the time BBUY 's are the same online and at the store.....

We have a store called micro Center in Cambridge which basically has Newegg type prices. I just picked up a 4 GB SD card with a USB reader for $16, and a 2.5 inch hard drive enclosure for about eight dollars a think. I know they have a website, but then you're paying the shipping and handling fees like Newegg, so I would check it out to see if they have other stores near you possibly
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    MicroCenter is a chain--it's out in SoCal also. From what I've seen their prices are typically a bit above Newegg's (even after I eat tax AND shipping). Shopping around is usually worth the effort.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    We needed to replace a hard drive that went out in my wife's computer. I shopped Walmart.com and found one for $99. (500 gig) Went to walmart. They had it for $119. I asked and they said that walmart.com is a different thing than walmart store.

Went to Best buy and asked if they price matched walmart. yes. they looked it up on walmart.com, sure enough $99. (It was$149 at best buy).

So, bottom line: Best Buy price matches Walmart.com, but Walmart stores do not price match walmart .com. Go figure.

It's really a management call. When I was doing that, brick and mortars like Best Buy and Staples only matched other brick and mortar ads, not their online counterpart ads. Depending on the time of the month and how it will affect their overall bottom line they could easily say, "No, we won't match walmart.com".

There's more middlemen to pay in brick/mortar as it goes through the store warehouse, onto the store shelf, to the person that you asked about price matching, to the cashier, and past security. Ultimately, a salesperson lost $50 towards his commission.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Circuit city will match their online pricing, but only if you ask first. Its best to shop online before actually going there.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.