2474597603_5a22079184_b.jpg

2474599603_0016cdcd6b_b.jpg

2474602055_e64909d0a9_b.jpg
Canon 5d mii, Canon 50mm f/1.8, 35mm 1.4L, 70-200mm IS L

Comments

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Nice shots. love the window light.

it seems to me the depth of field is SO narrow, and the focus is not quite on the right spot on the first two. The first one seems on her arm. I couldn't tell about the second. The third looks dead on to me--focused on the child's eyes.

Seems it would have been a bit of an easier shot if you closed down the lens just a bit, if the light/ISO would allow.

I just got a 85mm 1.8 prime and am struggling with the same thing, so that is what my eye is drawn to these days.

Lovely shots. Nice BW treatment.
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    The eye contact really makes the third shot stand out. Have you tried cropping the top 1/6th off the third image? Right now there is just dead space there. Try a 4:5 ratio crop and only remove space from the top.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • len20len20 Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Nice shots. love the window light.

it seems to me the depth of field is SO narrow, and the focus is not quite on the right spot on the first two. The first one seems on her arm. I couldn't tell about the second. The third looks dead on to me--focused on the child's eyes.

Seems it would have been a bit of an easier shot if you closed down the lens just a bit, if the light/ISO would allow.

I just got a 85mm 1.8 prime and am struggling with the same thing, so that is what my eye is drawn to these days.

Lovely shots. Nice BW treatment.

I agree about the focus on the first two. I don't know why that happens with the auto spot-focus. Maybe I just need to be more careful. I was hoping that the three could be a series, but I don't think the first two are good enough, and I don't think they're different enough.
    gluwater wrote:
    The eye contact really makes the third shot stand out. Have you tried cropping the top 1/6th off the third image? Right now there is just dead space there. Try a 4:5 ratio crop and only remove space from the top.

I don't have enough experience with printing my photos to know how to crop for standard frame sizes. I can't afford a lot of custom frame jobs. Would the 4:5 ratio crop maintain a standard print size?
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Cute shots... Higher ISO would IMHO produce nicer results.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
    edited May 8, 2008
    Cute shots... Higher ISO would IMHO produce nicer results.

Yeah, I should have thought of that. I shot at ISO 160. Would a higher ISO still put the background in complete black?
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    len20 wrote:
    Yeah, I should have thought of that. I shot at ISO 160. Would a higher ISO still put the background in complete black?
    Your exposure was fine. The shirt is blow out a little but I don't think that detracts from this image. I believe what they are saying is to raise your ISO so you could stop down your lens and increase your DOF. What shutter speed and aperture were these taken at?

A higher ISO will not change your exposure, only your shutter speed. The background would look thae exact same as it does now.

For the last shot I think it looks good with only the babys face in sharp focus. The babys eyes are te main focus and the mother is more of background for that image.

A 4:5 ratio will get you a standard 8x10 print size.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
    edited May 8, 2008
    gluwater wrote:
    Your exposure was fine. The shirt is blow out a little but I don't think that detracts from this image. I believe what they are saying is to raise your ISO so you could stop down your lens and increase your DOF. What shutter speed and aperture were these taken at?

A higher ISO will not change your exposure, only your shutter speed. The background would look thae exact same as it does now.

For the last shot I think it looks good with only the babys face in sharp focus. The babys eyes are te main focus and the mother is more of background for that image.

A 4:5 ratio will get you a standard 8x10 print size.

Ok this was an exercise in humility. Had I taken the time to actually think about ISO, I would have been able to come up with the same conclusion regarding the exposure and depth of field. And you'd think I could do the math of a 4:5 ratio = 8x10 print.

I shot it at f/4 and 1/400. I really had plenty of room to decrease the aperture to increase the DOF. f/8 would have put them both in focus.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Since we are throwing opinions around....
    I think they are very nice photographs, and the fact that the child is in sharper focus creates an interest that would be lost if everything in the frame were in focus. The lighting is dramatic and directional. All this to say you have gotten yourself a few dynamic photos.

I think they look great!!thumb.gif
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    I think the photos turned out very well and would make a good series. It is almost like watching the child turn his head. At least to me.
    LadyTX
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Seriously.... I like them a lot!

And if they were mine, I would still like them!

The lighting is just amazing, and I looove that last one.

And that is my opinion.

Darling baby, BTW.