A little mall magic... some night snaps (8 large)

NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
edited May 8, 2008 in People
Just some snaps taken on the fly, straight out of the camera, except for some NR by Ninja in #1.

Daytime temperatures outside are 40+C, visibility down to one km with dust, which covers everything. Come night, people flock to the high tech oases of Khobar, KSA, for cool, community, pretty colors and to exercise their money and have some fun!

C&C welcome!

Mall and mosque. As well there are prayer halls on each floor of the mall. There are 6 prayer times daily, spread between sunrise and evening. Stores close for business during the average 20-40min prayer times, and people crowd the coffee shops and the prayer rooms and mosques. Mutawa (religious police) patrol the malls at these times and might sometimes use sticks to drive especially the young smoking and coffee drinking men to go praise Allah!

291903450_VhNXu-XL.jpg

291539642_XC9P7-XL.jpg

291539667_ejT7i-XL.jpg

291539707_d8dzy-XL.jpg

291539746_bbCTT-XL.jpg

291588921_DoRVS-XL.jpg

291588964_V2mDc-XL.jpg

Malling on after close up, trusting what the sign says.

291589004_nQpMv-XL.jpg

Canon 40D, 24-70mm L
"Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix

Comments

• rrcolejrrrcolejr Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Love the images. Where are they taken? Ex Navy sailor here and you brought back great memories of the middle east. Most people look at me like I am crazy when I tell them how much I always loved visiting there.
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    rrcolejr wrote:
    Love the images. Where are they taken? Ex Navy sailor here and you brought back great memories of the middle east. Most people look at me like I am crazy when I tell them how much I always loved visiting there.

Thanks for your kind words, rrcolejr!

They were taken in Al Khobar, a city of pop ~200,000 in the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia, on the coast of the Arabian Gulf right opposite Bahrain.

Neil

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Lovely images! I love the colors! And very clean, too, you did a great job in NR department!thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited May 8, 2008
    Nikolai wrote:
    Lovely images! I love the colors! And very clean, too, you did a great job in NR department!thumb.gif

Nice to welcome you here, Nikolai. Thanks for your appreciation. In fact, there is only PP noise reduction in #1, done with Ninja. The others are out of the camera via RAW developing with DPP and without NR. They were all shot hand held and Av mode, auto WB and ISO, standard picture style. ISO was either 400 or 800. I was impressed by the IQ in these conditions using very casual shooting technique.

Regards.

Neil

• mike_kmike_k Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Nice shots! I've been to that mall, guess it was 10 or 11 years ago. Was in Dhahran for a month for work, we would go to the mall a few times a week. Bought too much gold - even bought a saxophone from the Yamaha store.
    edited May 8, 2008
    mike_k wrote:
    Nice shots! I've been to that mall, guess it was 10 or 11 years ago. Was in Dhahran for a month for work, we would go to the mall a few times a week. Bought too much gold - even bought a saxophone from the Yamaha store.

Thanks for looking, mike_k!

Haha! I haven't bought a saxophone yet, but I do have a Yammy keyboard from that same store!

Neil