Need help with Banner

LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
edited May 11, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Thanks for contacting SmugMug. How did you know I was still here? Just
about ready to call it a night, but couldn't leave you waiting :)
Well, it hung for me with IE7, it's looking like the margins on the
gallery banner is causing the problems. I removed the css for the banner
for a moment while I tried to load the page and it loaded without any
problems,

Maybe try using the information from #6 in the FAQ
http://www.smugmug.com/help/customize-faq this will put the banner in
the upper left corner without using any negative margins. It's worth a
try. I'll give you a hand. Post back up on the thread you have going and
I'll check back with you.

Hello Rich, hope you find this!

I'm so relieved that it has hung for someone in the Smugmug team - now I know I'm not imagining it!
I did wonder about the Gallery Banner before and tried removing it temporarily but it didn't solve the problem - as I mentioned elsewhere, it always loads the second time you try. (I also couldn't see how to remove the banner but keep the navbar - both would vanish)
I would like to try changing to a Logo just to see if that helps.
I tried following #6 on the FAQ but it didn't show up. I'm not sure what I would do with the Gallery header lines in the CSS either - remove them completely to make room for the logo?
I've uploaded a new .png to try -
I'm so glad we are finally making progress on this!

Comments

• LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    LPC wrote:
    Thanks for contacting SmugMug. How did you know I was still here? Just
    about ready to call it a night, but couldn't leave you waiting :)
    Well, it hung for me with IE7, it's looking like the margins on the
    gallery banner is causing the problems. I removed the css for the banner
    for a moment while I tried to load the page and it loaded without any
    problems,

Maybe try using the information from #6 in the FAQ
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/customize-faq this will put the banner in
    the upper left corner without using any negative margins. It's worth a
    try. I'll give you a hand. Post back up on the thread you have going and
    I'll check back with you.

Hello Rich, hope you find this!

I'm so relieved that it has hung for someone in the Smugmug team - now I know I'm not imagining it!
    I did wonder about the Gallery Banner before and tried removing it temporarily but it didn't solve the problem - as I mentioned elsewhere, it always loads the second time you try. (I also couldn't see how to remove the banner but keep the navbar - both would vanish)
    I would like to try changing to a Logo just to see if that helps.
    I tried following #6 on the FAQ but it didn't show up. I'm not sure what I would do with the Gallery header lines in the CSS either - remove them completely to make room for the logo?
    I've uploaded a new .png to try - http://laurencecounter.smugmug.com/gallery/4374963_89diS#291767367_uBPyD

I'm so glad we are finally making progress on this!

I've tried removing the Gallery Header again (and tried replacing it with something else and with forcing it to the left margin only and so on) but still can't do it without losing the Navbar - there is definately a problem with that area of the page and I can't for the life of me figure it out.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    LPC wrote:
    I've tried removing the Gallery Header again (and tried replacing it with something else and with forcing it to the left margin only and so on) but still can't do it without losing the Navbar - there is definately a problem with that area of the page and I can't for the life of me figure it out.
    Hi, I'll make sure Rich sees this and replies later today - hang in there, okay?
    edited May 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, I'll make sure Rich sees this and replies later today - hang in there, okay?

I'll hang :hang

I should just add that if I set the appearance to Smugmug rather than Custom then everything seems to work. (Remember we're talking about ie7 only - Firefox works perfectly)

Also, if I view a page using Keywords it hangs as well and there is no header/banner on that page so it must be the navbar.
    I'll shut up now.
  • richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    I'm going to taking your site code and putting it in one of my test sites and I'll work on it there. This was 'we' won't blow up your site looking for the problem. Check your PM I just sent you :)
    edited May 11, 2008
    Give it a try now to see how it loads. I didn't do anything related to the banner. Javascript related only.
    edited May 11, 2008
    richW wrote:
    Give it a try now to see how it loads. I didn't do anything related to the banner. Javascript related only.

Ok, I'm not completely sure and I'm going to be reloading my pages all day to see if I can replicate the fault, but

clap.gifwings.gifclap.gifwings.gifclap.gifwings.gifclap.gifwings.gif

I THINK YOU HAVE FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have no idea how much this has bothered me over the past month or so!

I can see some new text in the Footer Javascript although I have no idea what it does. Did it take much working out or was it fairly obvious?

Thank You Rich - you've been a superstar thumb.gif
    edited May 11, 2008
    LPC wrote:
    Ok, I'm not completely sure and I'm going to be reloading my pages all day to see if I can replicate the fault, but

clap.gifwings.gifclap.gifwings.gifclap.gifwings.gifclap.gifwings.gif

I THINK YOU HAVE FIXED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have no idea how much this has bothered me over the past month or so!

I can see some new text in the Footer Javascript although I have no idea what it does. Did it take much working out or was it fairly obvious?

Thank You Rich - you've been a superstar thumb.gif
    You're Welcome Laurence....thumb.gif

OK, I've been up for 3 days straight, time for sleep:D

Yell back if you need anything......