The Little Engine that Could...

garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
edited May 9, 2008 in Holy Macro
Found this tiny cinnamin ant (~3/16" long) dragging this fly, that was many times its size, across a dead leaf in the garden. I moved it onto the back of my truck for a picture, and the wind blew them both over onto the cover. This ant tugged the fly in a multitude of directions, and seemed to have no problems moving the large prey around. Not great photo (never did have much luck with ants), but I thought it was interesting.

2476207355_755d53a3e0_b.jpg

Also found this brown lacewing

2477022586_79912d848e_b.jpg

and this fly (tachinid?), of which I was rather happy with the shot

2476207687_c93236c7f7_b.jpg
Gary
Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/

Comments

• MichelleLMichelleL Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    What a great set Gary - ants don't ever seem to stop - great lesson for lazy ones!
    Your picture of the ant looks great clap.gif

I never realised how hairy a lot of insects are until getting into macro photography.
    Michelle Legg :smooch

michellelegg.com
    http://legg.smugmug.com/
  • l2oBiNl2oBiN Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Last one would have looked great with another focus slice.
  • DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Next time, please consider....
    Call me a tree hugger, nature nut, whatever.....I have a problem with photographers who interfere with nature just to get the pic. OK, it's just a bug, and the overall impact of moving it from your garden to your truck to get the pic....who knows? Just something I've become aware of since taking photography seriously....do not interfere with nature just to get the shot. Nature as a whole struggles to survive. Take the pic in situ with as little impact as possible. Whether it's just a bug or a bird nest or a deer with fawns, I would wish that all photographers would take a moment to learn & consider what all forms of life endure to survive.

Other than my rant, I think you've got some good images here. It's just hard for me to promote the means to the end.
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Good shots Gary :)
    It's a St Marks fly the ant is dragging around :)
    Not certain if #3 is a tachinid or not.

Donna - I have some sympathy for your non- interference views but suspect moving a bug is a lot more mild than the treatment they get from most people (ie splat or spray them).
    Brian V.
  • garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Thanks all for the comments, and Brian for the fly ID.

Donna--both the dead fly and the ant were returned to the garden unharmed, and put back in thier original location. I have no problem moving something to shoot, and always return it to where it came from. Hope that make you feel a little easier.
    Gary
    Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/
  • DonnaLuDonnaLu Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    garyt wrote:
    Thanks all for the comments, and Brian for the fly ID.

Donna--both the dead fly and the ant were returned to the garden unharmed, and put back in thier original location. I have no problem moving something to shoot, and always return it to where it came from. Hope that make you feel a little easier.

It does and thank you :D
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~M. Twain