Wasps

MichelleLMichelleL Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
edited May 9, 2008 in Holy Macro
Two more from my walk yesterday:

Native Paper Wasp - Ropalidia revolutionalis

These ladies and gents aggressively defend their nests using their powerful stings which can cause severe allergic reactions in some people. Paper Wasps are useful pest controllers feeding their larvae on chewed-up caterpillars. Thankfully it was early in the morning so they weren't quite as aggressive as I have seen them in the past.

291755402_zn5j8-L.jpg

and

Native Paper Wasp - Ropalidia romandi

This is also a paper wasp and had his picture taken a few hours after the first one - needless to say he was a tad more on the aggressive side. I only managed to get about 4 shots of this guy before I felt he was getting quite cranky about having a flash go off in his face. It was also quite windy where he was and I'm sure he thought I was moving his branch up and down to annoy him. I took off at a reasonable pace and checked my pictures of him a bit down the road.

291759058_T2ydv-L.jpg

MichelleL
Michelle Legg :smooch

michellelegg.com
http://legg.smugmug.com/

Comments

• darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    I love the second one the best, I like the angle because it has his head and full body which is a nice change from most pictures I see of wasps.

I will only be able to get a good picture of a wasp with a very very very long lens as I'm kinda terrified by them. 10 stings in one shoulder (within about 2 seconds time) will do that to a girl. eek7.gif
    ~ Lisa
  • garytgaryt Registered Users Posts: 335 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    Nice shots Michelle. Like the 2nd one best. You are quite brave to get that close. Wasps are the one thing I definitely stay away from. They can be down right nasty.
    Gary
    Canon 30D, 28-80mm kit, 100mm Macro, 80-200mm, Kenko Tubes (68mm), 380EX Flash, and a wish list.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/garythompson/
  • MichelleLMichelleL Registered Users Posts: 210 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    I love the second one the best, I like the angle because it has his head and full body which is a nice change from most pictures I see of wasps.

I will only be able to get a good picture of a wasp with a very very very long lens as I'm kinda terrified by them. 10 stings in one shoulder (within about 2 seconds time) will do that to a girl. eek7.gif

I hear thee - I've been stung a couple of times, funnily enough, not taking their photo but gardening.

I was very alert and watching these guys - and the wasp in the second photo, he was particularly jumpy so I only took four shots of him before taking off. This is the only one that worked.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

michellelegg.com
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2008
    garyt wrote:
    Nice shots Michelle. Like the 2nd one best. You are quite brave to get that close. Wasps are the one thing I definitely stay away from. They can be down right nasty.

Yes I like the second shot too Michelle.
    Regards
    Bob
    edited May 8, 2008
    garyt wrote:

I was actually a bit nervous of the second one.

Thanks for your comments.

michellelegg.com
    edited May 8, 2008
    canon400d wrote:
    Yes I like the second shot too Michelle.
    Regards
    Bob

Thanks Bob.

michellelegg.com
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Wonderful shots- always jealous of the lovely looking wasps you get there :)
    Brian V.
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited May 9, 2008
  • ColMofedColMofed Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    You're a lot braver than I am. Love the second, the colours are amazing.

Would be nice to see one face-on to get a better look at that eye, but I guess if he turned to face you you'd just have to turn and run! :D

Rod.
    Rod
    Bristol, UK.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Your all over that flash there michelle thumb.gif

Those black ones dont hurt much but the yellow fellas in your second photo are like being shot. I get stung a lot in my work. Its like watching the old war movie Tora Tora Tora when you accidently disturb a nest. You dont know where to run to as they chase you for 100 yards or more. Must look funny for anyone watching it.