Playing around with studio portraits

Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
edited October 22, 2008 in People
Hi All,

I dont normally do a lot of studio type portraits, but wanted to give my new off camera flashes and background a try so I recruted my favorite model to pose for her dad. She insisted on her version of bridal shots in her ariel princess dress. Man am I going to have my hands full when she gets old enough to date (I'm thinking not until she's 30 :help )

Would very much appreciate any C&C you may have on the crops, compo, lighting or just the pictures in general

Thanks for looking!!
292099773_GFscP-M.jpg

292102119_rmmng-M.jpg

292101266_PBvPm-M.jpg

292100428_zyW4C-M.jpg

292101492_h9Zic-M.jpg
Jeff Milo
MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com

Comments

• RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Jeff,

I am sure these would be BEAUTIFUL, but they are underexposed and lacking contrast.
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • Jeff_MiloJeff_Milo Registered Users Posts: 327 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Ryan,

Thanks for the comments. The underexposure was somewhat intentional, I was trying for a dark classic kind of feel. Didn't get there did I? Will have to go back into PS and play with the exposure some more tonight. Still have so much to learn about off camera lighting.
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
  • RhinotheruntRhinotherunt Registered Users Posts: 363 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Ryan,

Thanks for the comments. The underexposure was somewhat intentional, I was trying for a dark classic kind of feel. Didn't get there did I? Will have to go back into PS and play with the exposure some more tonight. Still have so much to learn about off camera lighting.
    Do you have an example of what your are trying to achieve? Somethng to compare your results to?
    Ryan McGill

My Gear
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 9, 2008
    Ryan,

I thought it might have been intentional. They don't look underexposed to me, more like an old canvas that hasn't been cleaned for decades (except for #1). Edit: Sorry, that came out snarkier than I intended. Read on.

You might want to look again at Rembrandt, for example. While the overall canvas is often dark, there is still tremendous dynamic range in the highlights, which is lacking here. I think you have some good shots here and if you re-process them to improve the contrast they will look very nice. Maybe not what you were aiming for, ne_nau.gif
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Ryan,

Your daughter is adorable. For the longest time my daughter believed us when we told her she couldn't date til she was 25.

Do you have a light meter? Learning to capture the right exposure in camera is the place to start, not in learning how to try and "Fix" an image in photoshop. Especially with off camera lighting and studio shots!

I also think the white balance in number one is off.....it's pretty yellow.

I can't live without my light meter and expo disc (for white balance)
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Jeff,
    congrats on new lights/bg!
    I think you could have used a little bit more power. All pics seem to be underexposed by half a stop at least :-( ne_nau.gif
    WB also seems to be a bit off. It's easy to fix in post, though.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Invite
    Jeff,

You are more than welcome to come play in my studio with me if you want to travel a bit to play with lighting....I have the Sunpaks that I have been wanting to have a play date with as well as some monoblocks...
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    I agree they are dark and need contrast--especially the last one. The first one is best, to me. Need POP!
    edited May 13, 2008
    Thank you all for the very helpful feedback!! bowdown.gif

Richard had it pretty close to pegged, when I was taking these I had an old canvas painting in mind and tried to leave them dark, wish I had an example to show you but it was an image I had stuck in my head. My wife has been wanting painting treated photos of the kids on canvas for a while now so the goal was to get as close as possible in camera and then add treatments in PS.

After reading all of your feedback I completely agree they really lacked contrast so I went back and took another shot at a couple of them. Below is one revised photo and two treated to look like final product. Do they look any better?

ps..... I so much prefer natural light - lol

Corrected (hopefully)
    294776116_YE8Yv-M-1.jpg

Treated
    294776372_qNa88-M-1.jpg

Tighter crop treated
    294775401_zdT6r-M-2.jpg
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
    edited May 13, 2008
    ChatKat wrote:
    Jeff,

You are more than welcome to come play in my studio with me if you want to travel a bit to play with lighting....I have the Sunpaks that I have been wanting to have a play date with as well as some monoblocks...

Kathy,

I am most deffinatly going to have to take you up on this offer!! Things have been crazy around her the last few weeks, I got a call from the head wedding coordinator at Disney asking for a few pictures of the flowers from the wedding I shot at Disneyland back in November for a prospective B&G to see the arrangements. I directed her to my site to pick the pictures and while reviewing them she loved the images and invited me to come in and present my work to their staff to be included on their prefered photographers list. So I have been going through all the images trying to make them as perfect as possible and putting together an album for them to have on file. As soon as all this calms down I will have to give you a call to come over and play. I really need the studio practice. Thank you so much for the invite!!!
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
    edited May 13, 2008
    ...she loved the images and invited me to come in and present my work to their staff to be included on their prefered photographers list. ...
    Wow, Jeff, this is neat! Congratulations!thumb.gifclap.gif
    I guess Shay's advise "shoot the venue" paid up big time:-) mwink.gif
    edited May 13, 2008
    Thanks Nik..... it came completely out of the blue, guess the B&G never gave her the password to look at the galleries before now, and only reason she needed to see pics of that particular flower arrangement was that the prospective Bride is allergic to every flower except that one. She remembered that wedding and found the card I had given her..... crazy how things come back around. Looks like I am going to have to start putting together all that advertising/marketing material I have been putting off for so long. Whish I could get ahold of Shay, would hire Jen to put it all together.

On a side note, if I can't convince the wife the 10-22mm is a necessary purchase I will take you up on the offer to borrow it for the Yosemite trip.

Thanks!!!!!
    Jeff Milo
    MILOStudios

www.milophotostudios.com
    edited May 13, 2008
    Thanks Nik..... it came completely out of the blue, guess the B&G never gave her the password to look at the galleries before now, and only reason she needed to see pics of that particular flower arrangement was that the prospective Bride is allergic to every flower except that one. She remembered that wedding and found the card I had given her..... crazy how things come back around. Looks like I am going to have to start putting together all that advertising/marketing material I have been putting off for so long. Whish I could get ahold of Shay, would hire Jen to put it all together.

On a side note, if I can't convince the wife the 10-22mm is a necessary purchase I will take you up on the offer to borrow it for the Yosemite trip.

Thanks!!!!!

Keep us posted how it's going. Disney is a cool account to have!
  • foxwizardfoxwizard Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    I like #2 as originally posted. The underlighing actually enhances the mood, IMHO.
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Yep
    Hey Jeff, let me know when it works - give me a call. Yes, I too wish Shay was still available. That was a great class. I do have most of it together but it's taken months to get each thing just right. And there is always more. I needed some help - felt some things were still missing - and took another class (week long) and got all my gaps covered and I have some images being published by Kodak. Every day I get a call or two.

Great stuff re Disney. Yay!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • IFS08IFS08 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited October 22, 2008
    the 2 correct ones are stunnig now. The 3rd looks like its pixelated. But #1 is priceless. A+++

Thank you all for the very helpful feedback!! bowdown.gif

Richard had it pretty close to pegged, when I was taking these I had an old canvas painting in mind and tried to leave them dark, wish I had an example to show you but it was an image I had stuck in my head. My wife has been wanting painting treated photos of the kids on canvas for a while now so the goal was to get as close as possible in camera and then add treatments in PS.

After reading all of your feedback I completely agree they really lacked contrast so I went back and took another shot at a couple of them. Below is one revised photo and two treated to look like final product. Do they look any better?

ps..... I so much prefer natural light - lol

Corrected (hopefully)
    294776116_YE8Yv-M-1.jpg

Treated
    294776372_qNa88-M-1.jpg

Tighter crop treated
    294775401_zdT6r-M-2.jpg