My son's first tee-ball game

ScraffScraff Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited May 13, 2008 in Sports
Here are a few shots of my son's first tee-ball game. The lighting was not too bad becuase it was an overcast day....please let me know what you think...
Thanks...Scott

1. I like his pose in this shot...
292091054_yjaFU-M.jpg

292087914_nGJhH-M.jpg

3. This was towards the end of the game...you can tell the kids were getting tired.
292346577_Pkkux-M.jpg

4. I like the look of determination to get to first base...
292338996_GrsEk-M.jpg

5. I know that I missed faces in this shot, but I like how the fence is in the shot with all getting ready in the dugout.
292095519_JsTge-M.jpg

Comments

• beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    I think you got some good shots.
    I would say #1 is my favorite,
    For critique...
    #1 could use a straighten (this is something I always have trouble with)
    #2,3,&4 the comp is wrong he should be running and hitting into the frame instead of out of it. Some of those could be saved with a crop, #4 would be better vertical.
  • ScraffScraff Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    beetle8 wrote:
    I think you got some good shots.
    I would say #1 is my favorite,
    For critique...
    #1 could use a straighten (this is something I always have trouble with)
    #2,3,&4 the comp is wrong he should be running and hitting into the frame instead of out of it. Some of those could be saved with a crop, #4 would be better vertical.

Thanks for the feedback Keith. He has a bunch more games in the up and coming months so I will have lots more chances to get better shots.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Scraff wrote:
    Here are a few shots of my son's first tee-ball game. The lighting was not too bad becuase it was an overcast day....please let me know what you think...

You're starting to capture the spirit of things.

I'd suggest shooting most of your shots in the vertical orientation. I shoot >95% of my soccer and softball pics vertical. It lets you fill the frame with the player/batter/runner and get in a lot closer so you can see more of the expression. It also makes it easier not to cut off feet or heads.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
    edited May 9, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    You're starting to capture the spirit of things.

I'd suggest shooting most of your shots in the vertical orientation. I shoot >95% of my soccer and softball pics vertical. It lets you fill the frame with the player/batter/runner and get in a lot closer so you can see more of the expression. It also makes it easier not to cut off feet or heads.

Thanks for the tip John, I am going to try and shoot more vertical. I can see how some of my shots of his games would have come out much better if they were vertical.
    edited May 11, 2008
    I have taken John's advice and tried some more vertical shots. Here are two from this past weekend....please let me know what you think.
    Thanks...Scott

293611194_caRyU-L.jpg

293612667_baUZx-L.jpg
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Scraff wrote:
    I have taken John's advice and tried some more vertical shots. Here are two from this past weekend....please let me know what you think.
    Thanks...Scott

I like them. These definitely work in the vertical. You might want to think about cropping the first one to get in closer. Here's one take on it:

293777191_bB59j-L.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    jfriend wrote:
    I like them. These definitely work in the vertical. You might want to think about cropping the first one to get in closer. Here's one take on it:
    I agree
    Otherwise great job, better composition on these too!clap.gif
  • WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Much better vertical !!!!clap.gif
    But , it's ok to mix it up !!!:D
  • OhEddieOhEddie Registered Users Posts: 337 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    I have coached youth baseball for over 10 years now, and #2 caught my eye. Very good form for a T-baller. Look at that arm extension. Posting up on the front foot and not lunging. Eyes on contact too. He's gonna be a good hitter. clap.gif
    Blessed are those who remain flexible, for they shall not get bent out of shape.
    edited May 13, 2008
    OhEddie wrote:
    I have coached youth baseball for over 10 years now, and #2 caught my eye. Very good form for a T-baller. Look at that arm extension. Posting up on the front foot and not lunging. Eyes on contact too. He's gonna be a good hitter. clap.gif

Thank you for the comments...his coach has told me that he is one of the best hitters that he has seen in T-Ball in a long time.
  • MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Scraff, another angle to try is sit on the ground (or as low as you can get) behind the backstop in line with the third base foul line and shoot the runner(s) coming around third and crossing home plate. Put your lens as close to the fence as you feel comfortable and shoot through it with your aperature wide open.

Attached is a shot of my grandson. This is his first year to play. This should give you an idea of what I'm trying to describe.

The pics are looking good. Keep up the good work.
    Mike
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.