share photo/get a link options...

emtp563emtp563 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
edited May 9, 2008 in SmugMug Support
When clicking on the share photo button and going to the "get a link" page, is it possible to display the older style page where you click on the link and it opens up the selected sized photo? The copying of the link to the clipboard is confusing my customers, who may not be computer savvy.
My SmugMug site: http://www.cyclingcaptured.com

Canon EOS 1D & 1D Mark II
Speedlite 580EX II & 430EX
Canon 50mm 1.8
Canon 85mm 1.8
Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS
Canon 16-35L f/2.8
Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS

Comments

• chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    15524779-Ti.gif ... the Copy Link button was far more efficient.

Chuck Cannova
    www.customrideportraits.com
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    the Copy Link button was far more efficient.

Chuck Cannova
    This I can't agree with, more efficient? Same, maybe, but how could it be more - you just click in the box now and the link is copied... if I'm missing something or not understanding please let me know? Thanks!
  • chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    My mistake ... I thought you had to click in the box then copy and paste.:whew

I withdraw my statement.

Chuck Cannova :gone
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • emtp563emtp563 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    This I can't agree with, more efficient? Same, maybe, but how could it be more - you just click in the box now and the link is copied... if I'm missing something or not understanding please let me know? Thanks!

My customers do not know what it means to copy a link. As far as their concerned, when they click on the link, nothing happens and they get frustrated. The average person does not know what the Windows Clipboard is much less how it works. It was much EASIER (maybe not efficient) to click on the link of the size photo you want then the photo opens up in the browser. From there, my customer can right click it and do what they want with it.

I know I can enable right-clicking in my customize gallery page, but I have a custom message when I have right-clicking disabled that shows a friendly message asking people to help support my site with money.

Is there some kind of CSS where I can revert back to how it was before?

Canon 50mm 1.8
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS
    Canon 16-35L f/2.8
    Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    emtp563 wrote:
    My customers do not know what it means to copy a link. As far as their concerned, when they click on the link, nothing happens and they get frustrated. The average person does not know what the Windows Clipboard is much less how it works. It was much EASIER (maybe not efficient) to click on the link of the size photo you want then the photo opens up in the browser. From there, my customer can right click it and do what they want with it.

I know I can enable right-clicking in my customize gallery page, but I have a custom message when I have right-clicking disabled that shows a friendly message asking people to help support my site with money.

Hi, Sorry I missed you again in SmugChat :(

I will ask Baldy to comment here in a bit - he made the changes to the page after lots of research and feedback.

Thanks!
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited May 9, 2008
    emtp563 wrote:

Hmmmm, that's interesting. Thanks for letting us know about this.

We actually went this way because Photobucket, Skitch and YouTube had made copying links this way a standard, and we had a lot of customer pressure to do likewise. But I can see the dilemma and I've gotten several other pieces of feedback on this page that make us want to tweak it more.

When the page went out to test, we had the image sizes like Large underlined and clearly a link, and it popped up the image in a new window just like we used to. Would that solve it for you? The testers felt that it would be too confusing to have an image pop up in a window and people wouldn't know from there how to get a link to it, but if we're wrong I'll put the links back.
  • emtp563emtp563 Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

We actually went this way because Photobucket, Skitch and YouTube had made copying links this way a standard, and we had a lot of customer pressure to do likewise. But I can see the dilemma and I've gotten several other pieces of feedback on this page that make us want to tweak it more.

When the page went out to test, we had the image sizes like Large underlined and clearly a link, and it popped up the image in a new window just like we used to. Would that solve it for you? The testers felt that it would be too confusing to have an image pop up in a window and people wouldn't know from there how to get a link to it, but if we're wrong I'll put the links back.

Maybe have the link open the image in a new window and put a "copy" button next to the link and have that button function like you have the links configured now.

Canon 50mm 1.8
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS
    Canon 16-35L f/2.8
    Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,339 moderator
    edited May 9, 2008
    Baldy wrote:

Please don't have clicking on the link open a window containing the image. The last thing I need is for another window to open.

Having a click on the link automagically copy is wonderful. I'm more than happy with this change. Although right-clicking to copy the link is also acceptable to me.

And the instructions to "click to copy" are right above the links. If only people would read...

--- Denise