Options

Sold an image - now I'm confused

MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited May 9, 2008 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I sold my first digital download image. Now I'm confused on what to do next.

Before clicking the 'Ship it!' button, do I need to replace the photo in the gallery with a resized photo with the same file name?

If so, what about other sales that may occur? This is a team photo and there may be other sales.

I read through the section on digital downloads, but I can't figure out what the steps are.

After I OK the order, does it immediately download to the customer?

I'd certainly appreciate some guidance on this.
Thanks
Mike
Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
My Portfolio
MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.

Comments

• Options
    phototristanphototristan Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Hi,

The proof delay feature does not apply for digital downloads.

Your customer has received an email with the URL (and licensing information) to download the image directly to their computer.

I hope this helps!

I sold my first digital download image. Now I'm confused on what to do next.

Before clicking the 'Ship it!' button, do I need to replace the photo in the gallery with a resized photo with the same file name?

If so, what about other sales that may occur? This is a team photo and there may be other sales.

I read through the section on digital downloads, but I can't figure out what the steps are.

After I OK the order, does it immediately download to the customer?

I'd certainly appreciate some guidance on this.
    Thanks
    Mike
    Tristan
    Suport Hero
    Smugmug
    http://help.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    Looks like I've been snookered! Smugmug and I will no doubt lose some sales revenue because the pic posted is 1500 pixels on the longest side. I did that so the customers would have the opportunity to order sizes larger than 5x7. If I resize to 1000 pixels on the longest size the only print options are 4x6 and 5x7. That's why I went to 1500.

Now, with no option to change the file resolution, the customer just bought an image that they can make all sorts of print sizes for - for the entire team and neither Smugmug nor I will see a penny of it.

I'll definitely have to reconsider this option in future galleries.

Thanks again for the help.
    Mike

Hi,

The proof delay feature does not apply for digital downloads.

Your customer has received an email with the URL (and licensing information) to download the image directly to their computer.

I hope this helps!
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • Options
    phototristanphototristan Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Hi again,

I see for this order the customer purchased a low resolution image, 1 megapixel. Please note, you have the ability to control which sizes you want to make available (or not) for digital download sales.

If you would like to not make certain digital downloads available, you can input 0.00 in the pricing field and that digital download will not be available for sale.
    Tristan
    Suport Hero
    Smugmug
    http://help.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2008
    OK. Thanks. That would be a good option for team photos like the one I just sold.
    Mike
    Hi again,

I see for this order the customer purchased a low resolution image, 1 megapixel. Please note, you have the ability to control which sizes you want to make available (or not) for digital download sales.

If you would like to not make certain digital downloads available, you can input 0.00 in the pricing field and that digital download will not be available for sale.
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    And... consider watermarking. That way the only way for a customer to get a non-watermarked image is to buy a print or pay for a digital download.

Yeah, I'm fully aware some folks just don't care and will use the watermarked image anyway. Just my perspective, but these aren't the kind of customers I personally am after and at least a decent watermark will help promote your website when your image ends up on myspace (which is where I find the majority of my swiped, watermarked images!)

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+