Canon 30D or Canon 20D

FotoMikeFotoMike Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited May 9, 2008 in Cameras
I wish I could actually get the 40D :wink but unfortunately thats a little out of my price range. Im looking to upgrade from my Digital Rebel (300D) and go with the 20 or the 30D but im having trouble deciding between the two. I was wondering if anyone could offer their expert or non-expert advice on which one to get. I have read up on them both and the 20D seems like it would be a decent step up from what I have but im wondering if its worth shelling out a little more and getting the 30D. I would be purchasing the body only seeing as I already own the 28-135mm, a 18-55mm kit lens, and the 50mm F/1.4 Nifty Fifty.
Thanks for the the help in advance. :bow

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    I currently use both & the main things for me is that the rear viewing screen is much larger on the 30D & i get to choose ISO settings in between the standard 20D ISO settings. The shutter sound is also a bit quieter with the 30D.

In basics they are pretty well the same camera for me but i think that larger rear screen is probably the most significant advantage when chimping to see my photos in camera.
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    30D has the larger screen, but it's not that good, larger yes but...

Spot metering

ISO in full, 1/2 or 1/3 stops

Picture styles

Seems that's about it for the differences.

Gene
  • pyrypyry Registered Users Posts: 1,733 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    kini62 wrote:
    30D has the larger screen, but it's not that good, larger yes but...

Spot metering
    ISO in full, 1/2 or 1/3 stops
    Picture styles

Seems that's about it for the differences.

Gene

Add RGB histograms, a larger image buffer and the ability to choose 3 or 5 fps in continous drive. I faintly remember that the 20D's shutter life is not quoted by Canon, but 30D's is at 100,000 shots.

I've got the 20D and I'm about to need another one, the 20D was also bought used so 1-0 for it. Still thinking if those little feature enhancements are worth the extra couple of hundred euro they cost back here. I'm currently leaning slightly toward a second 20D.

I also upgraded from the 300D - the 20D is a huge leap forward :D
    Creativity's hard.

http://pyryekholm.kuvat.fi/
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    I have a 20D and 30D x 2. In addition to all the above listed differences, I have found that the 30D seems to focus better/faster in low light situations does the 20D. For me, that is a significant difference.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    If the price difference is close - go with the 30D. Bigger screen, faster functioning.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    If price is a serious factor, get the 20D as the image quality is the same, but if you can swing it, go for the 30D for the nicer features already mentioned.