Captioning (and Geosetter)

nosajionosajio Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited May 10, 2008 in SmugMug Support
I've been trying to use Geosetter to geotag and add captions to my images. Smugmug reads the geotags fine, however the captions never show up. I've verified that they are there with ExifToolGUI, both in the IPTC and XMP. I could kind of understand the IPTC not being right, but what about the XMP?

I've uploaded a bunch of test photos here, if you guys can access unlisted photos. I tried deleting the IPTC info from a couple of files too, to see if that works.
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/4894449_YgKnr

I've tried several different uploaders, but nothing works. So far, adding the caption with Picasa seems to be only thing that works. However, Geosetter will let you all this stuff to the raw file, which is a much better solution for me.

Thanks,
Jason

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    nosajio wrote:
    I've been trying to use Geosetter to geotag and add captions to my images. Smugmug reads the geotags fine, however the captions never show up. I've verified that they are there with ExifToolGUI, both in the IPTC and XMP. I could kind of understand the IPTC not being right, but what about the XMP?

I've uploaded a bunch of test photos here, if you guys can access unlisted photos. I tried deleting the IPTC info from a couple of files too, to see if that works.
    http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/4894449_YgKnr

I've tried several different uploaders, but nothing works. So far, adding the caption with Picasa seems to be only thing that works. However, Geosetter will let you all this stuff to the raw file, which is a much better solution for me.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Hi Jason, we don't use XMP but if the caption is in the iptc description field, we'll use it as the caption on SmugMug.
  • nosajionosajio Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 10, 2008
    I'm posting some info in case someone else has a similar issue. Without a doubt, the captions are there. I 'fixed' it by rewriting the caption using exiftool:

exiftool "-IPTC:Caption-Abstract<IPTC:Caption-Abstract" *.jpg

Caption now show in SmugMugclap.gif

Edit - HTML parser ate my less than sign.