Download Issue

chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
edited May 9, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Hi Gang,

With certain gallery settings there is a "Save Photo" link which purportedly downloads the photo to the viewer's computer.

When I use this link, the photo gets downloaded with my original file name, which is ok, but sans the .jpg extension, which is not ok. The downloaded file has no extension.

I can't imagine there's a reason for this but maybe there is. Is it a bug?

Chuck Cannova
www.customrideportraits.com
Chuck Cannova
www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Hi Gang,

With certain gallery settings there is a "Save Photo" link which purportedly downloads the photo to the viewer's computer.

When I use this link, the photo gets downloaded with my original file name, which is ok, but sans the .jpg extension, which is not ok. The downloaded file has no extension.

I can't imagine there's a reason for this but maybe there is. Is it a bug?

Chuck Cannova

Odd. I don't have the same experience as you. When I hit save photo, I get a filename that has the original name at the end, but also has some series of Smugmug numbers on the front (the imageID) and it does have a .JPG extension after being saved. What browser are you using because some of this could be browser-behavior. I'm trying it in FF2.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    I'm using FF2 as well. The file name in the download confirmatin box does not have the extension either but it does say "which is a jpeg file" so it knows what it is. headscratch.gif

Chuck Cannova
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

edited May 9, 2008
    I'm using FF2 as well. The file name in the download confirmatin box does not have the extension either but it does say "which is a jpeg file" so it knows what it is. headscratch.gif

Chuck Cannova

What OS are you using? Do you have it configured to show file extensions? I get a JPEG extension everytime on mine in FF2. Do you want me to try downloading from your gallery? If so, post a link.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited May 9, 2008
    John,

Could you do me a favor? Go to www.customrideportraits.com/cnc, open the first image, then hit Save Image, and see what you get? It could be something at my end.

Thanks.

Chuck Cannova
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

edited May 9, 2008
    John,

Could you do me a favor? Go to www.customrideportraits.com/cnc, open the first image, then hit Save Image, and see what you get? It could be something at my end.

Thanks.

Chuck Cannova

It works for me. I end up with a filename that is the Smugmug Image ID + original filename with a .jpg at the end.

292509174_KSttm-X2.jpg
    292509213_Fy6G7-X2.jpg
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited May 9, 2008
    That's way too wierd ... I'm getting the file name but no extension. What could be up with that? ne_nau.gif

Maybe I'll surf some other galleries and see what happens there. If they work then there's something wrong in my gallery. If they don't work either, then there's something wrong in my computer.headscratch.gif

Chuck Cannova :bash
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

edited May 9, 2008
    That's way too wierd ... I'm getting the file name but no extension. What could be up with that? ne_nau.gif

Maybe I'll surf some other galleries and see what happens there. If they work then there's something wrong in my gallery. If they don't work either, then there's something wrong in my computer.headscratch.gif

Chuck Cannova :bash

Are you confirming that there's no extension on the actual filename in the file system? If you're using Windows, it's configurable whether to show you the extension or not. I have file extensions turned on. They are off by default in most recent versions of Window. When you double click on it in the file system, what happens?
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited May 9, 2008
    Yes, there is no extension in the file system (Windows XP Explorer) and extensions are enabled. If I double click it, Windows has no idea what to do with it. The properties box says "File Type: File" so the extension is just not there.

In the download confirmation box there is a choice to save the file to disk or open the file in a viewer. If I choose to open the file in the viewer, it opens up and displays just fine and the extension shows on the file name. If I choose save to disk, the extension gets lost. If I do a right click save as, it saves the file name and extension just fine. ne_nau.gif

Too wierd.

Chuck Cannova
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

edited May 9, 2008
    Yes, there is no extension in the file system (Windows XP Explorer) and extensions are enabled. If I double click it, Windows has no idea what to do with it. The properties box says "File Type: File" so the extension is just not there.

In the download confirmation box there is a choice to save the file to disk or open the file in a viewer. If I choose to open the file in the viewer, it opens up and displays just fine and the extension shows on the file name. If I choose save to disk, the extension gets lost. If I do a right click save as, it saves the file name and extension just fine. ne_nau.gif

Too wierd.

Chuck Cannova

Hmmm. That's probably something to do with your local FF configuration.

You might try a Google search for hints on changing/fixing. It already looks like it isn't anything to do with Smugmug, but you could try IE to confirm.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    edited May 9, 2008
    I just downloaded an image from another site and it worked just fine. In that case, the download confirmation box showed the extension. When I do it in my gallery, the extension does't show. I noticed the same thing in your's too.

Must be some thing wrong in my gallery settings. Something's conflicting with something else and it's getting confused.headscratch.gif

Chuck Cannova
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

edited May 9, 2008
    Well I just fooled with some gallery settings with no results.

So, here's where I'm at:

I can download and save photos from other people's sites using the "Save Photo" link with no problem.

Others, especially John Friend, can download and save photos from my site using the "Save Photo"link with no apparent problem. If anyone else wants to try, go to www.customrideportraits.com/cnc, open a photo and use SmugMug's "Save Photo" link to download the file to your hard drive. If it arrives with a .jpg extension then it's working fine for you. If there's no .jpg extension, it's the same problem I'm having.

If I download one of my own files using the "Save Photo" link, it arrives with no extension at all. In the download confirmation box there is a choice to save the file to disk or open the file in a viewer. If I choose to open the file in the viewer, it opens up and displays just fine and the extension shows on the file name. Right click>Save As works just fine.

ne_nau.gif Baffling headscratch.gif

Chuck Cannova
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com