My High Key girlies (9 imgs)

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited May 10, 2008 in People
These are my daughters... And my first shots with my new 5D :lust .... And my first shots with the white seamless paper. I am still figuring this out, so be nice, but seriously if you can think of anything that I can do to make 'em better, sing it out! (Especially about the lighting) I had serious issues with the white balancing. (I hadn't read my 5d manual yet, and was kindof winging it. And for some reason the AWB didn't really cut it. Thank goodness for raw.) Hope you enjoy my drama queen kids. Oh, and I am a good girl and have read the manual now. :wink
292418298_Yr6KY-L.jpg
292392646_47o6C-L.jpg
3. ( I haven't edited most of these yet, so excuse the little things, like the bandaid hanging off Mercy's elbow, and the need for a little more contrast in this one)292412141_8Wn9m-M.jpg
292393262_vtLEy-M.jpg
292397783_hShDq-L.jpg
292430489_XdQ66-M.jpg
292407171_Frjyf-L.jpg
292424736_xCm4x-L.jpg
9. I actually really like this one, even though it is a bit underexposed.
I can fix it (but just haven't yet) Her bandaid cracks me up. (rug burn, darnit)
292418004_R8Aux-L.jpg

Anyway, I think they turned out ok for the first attempt. But I think next time I will do a couple of things... (let me know if I am on the right track) I will use the Partial Metering mode, (Since the bright white background threw the light meter off a bit and they tended to become underexposed..) And then I'll play a little more with the flash exposure compensation. And then I will use a custom white balance instead of the AWB.

I have a shoot pretty soon and they want to do studio shots rather than location shots, so I need to get them down-pat before then.

If you feel like checking out some of the rest of the shots from our shoot, here is the link. http://www.ambiencephotographyalaska.com/gallery/4898926_yf4Ej/1/#292413088_T9wk7-A-LB

Comments

• IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Cute girls Heather. Yeah, the WB is especially messed up in #3 & #6.
    I've found the best way to set exposure in situations like this is to use the Photovision Digital Calibration Target. Once you get your histogram where you want it, leave everything in manual and your shots will be perfectly exposed.

Oh, my fave is #2.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Yeah, the WB is especially messed up in #3 & #6.
    rolleyes1.gif I hate it when I screw up the white balance on those black and whites.

Thanks for stopping by and the chuckle.
  • DI-JoeDI-Joe Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    yay, congrats on your 5D!! :)
    Modus Imagery
    Moving away from photography and into cinema. PM me if you have questions about DSLR workflow or production questions.
    Film Reel: http://vimeo.com/19955876
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2008
    Can you say HAM? Beautiful shots Heather. I wish we all had models that fun!
  • JimmyZJimmyZ Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Looks like they had fun.
    edited May 10, 2008
    DI-Joe wrote:
    yay, congrats on your 5D!! :)

I know! I am so stoaked! Thanks!
    edited May 10, 2008
    Travis wrote:
    Can you say HAM? Beautiful shots Heather. I wish we all had models that fun!
    They really do make it easy. Though, I do have to say, I have conditioned them. They pose for 1 second and then listen for the shutter and go into another dramatic pose. Some peoples kids... lol...

Sometimes I wish they would hold the pose for more than one second, so I can get my compo perfect. thumb.gif
    edited May 10, 2008
    JimmyZ wrote:
    Looks like they had fun.

You know, they did! I had just gotten them some new dresses and they begged me to take pictures of them in each outfit. cheerleader.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    What adorable girls! They look like such fun to shoot. Congrats on the 5D you lucky girl. I know you will put it to good use. Can't wait to see what you will come up with now that you've read the manual. :D