Help! Interested in zoom from 17-??

Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
edited May 12, 2008 in Cameras
I am shooting with the D60 and thus can’t use ANY of Canon’s "s" lenses (will only take EF unless modified).

I have long fought the budget blues but did buy a modified original "kit" 18-55mm lens. At just $60 including modification (which was very neatly done) it has served the purpose that I bought it for well. That being to verify that I would want that width as much as I thought I would and to tide me over until I could get something better. I have gotten some nice shots with it but it also has taken to locking up the camera regularly. Started with an error 01 and after cleaning contacts that cleared but it still regularly locks everything on the camera (all displays remain on but can’t change anything). If I disconnect the lens and put it back on I am fine for awhile.

The Tamron 17-50 really interests me. But (isn’t there always a but?) I am in a rural area and would have to drive 50-60 miles at least to find even a Best Buy or Circuit City; there MAY be a independent camera store slightly further away but their web site doesn’t show this lens. (Ziggy it appears that I am south of you in Illinois. If you are in a corn field, you might well say I am in a soybean field — east of St. Louis) I would hate to have to spend money on shipping exchanges to get a good one.

Would really like further comments from the other members of this board. I do already have the original Canon 28-70 3.5-4.5 from my film days that I have been told is "L" quality as those original EOS lenses had the responsibility of establishing the new mount and had to be good.

Thanks in advance
Jane B.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Andy, Andy, you have pulled up the equaliviant of the lens that I already have! In my case it is the original version of the Canon 3.5-4.5 28-70. I am looking for something wider that will fit my D60.

I have been attracted to the specs of the Tamron 17-50 2.8 for the range and speed. But, wondering how others have found it and how their QC is doing now as I would not want to be spending extra on shipping because of the need to exchange. If it was not for the talk of front or back focusing problems I would not hesitate but it seems that shipping cost of exchanges could add up quickly and I am in a position to really pinch my pennies until they scream!

Thanks for the quick reply though
    Jane B.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 10, 2008
    Jane B. wrote:
    I am shooting with the D60 and thus can’t use ANY of Canon’s "s" lenses (will only take EF unless modified).

The Tamron 17-50 really interests me. But (isn’t there always a but?) I am in a rural area and would have to drive 50-60 miles at least to find even a Best Buy or Circuit City; there MAY be a independent camera store slightly further away but their web site doesn’t show this lens. (Ziggy it appears that I am south of you in Illinois. If you are in a corn field, you might well say I am in a soybean field — east of St. Louis) I would hate to have to spend money on shipping exchanges to get a good one.

Jane,

The Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR Di II should work great for you. I haven't seen too many issues with that lens so I would not worry too much about returns.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423714-REG/Tamron_AF016C700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html

BTW, the "Illinois cornfield" is a joke in that I have an older house that appears to have originally been a farm house, so probably originally in a corn field. Now I'm fully incorporated in a small city.
    Jane B. wrote:

Would really like further comments from the other members of this board. I do already have the original Canon 28-70 3.5-4.5 from my film days that I have been told is "L" quality as those original EOS lenses had the responsibility of establishing the new mount and had to be good.

Thanks in advance
    Jane B.

Hopefully you have the original Canon 28-80mm, f3.5-f4.5. While it is the best of breed, it is not "L" image quality, but it's better than the current version.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Jane B. wrote:
    Andy, Andy, you have pulled up the equaliviant of the lens that I already have! In my case it is the original version of the Canon 3.5-4.5 28-70. I am looking for something wider that will fit my D60.

Sorry for the link failure, Jane. I just went back to amazon for you and got the proper link

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-AF17-50mm-Aspherical-Canon-Cameras/dp/B000EXR0SI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1210470361&sr=1-2

My question still stands, why worry about driving when you can buy online thumb.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 10, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

Hopefully you have the original Canon 28-80mm, f3.5-f4.5. While it is the best of breed, it is not "L" image quality, but it's better than the current version.

Jane,

My apologies. I did not realize that there was a Canon 28-70mm, f3.5-f4.5, but I found it in the Canon Museum. I recommend you keep that puppy as it does seem fairly rare to find one today.

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/ef/data/standard_zoom/ef_28~70_35~45.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    Tokina 12-24mm f/4 ATX
    You mentioned budget blues but, didn't mention the requirement for the long side of your prospective lens.

The Tokina 12-24mm f/4 ATX is an outstanding lens with 19.2mm to 38.4mm equivalent focal range. That gives you an ultra wide to about a widish-normal capability. It also matches up well with the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens which can be had used but like-new for a very good price since many folks are purchasing them as kit lenses with intentions on selling them.

The Tokina lens runs $500 including the lens hood for which Canon charges extra on most non-L lenses.

Although this lens is designed for a 1.6x format, it is NOT an EFs lens. I often use one on my Canon D60 which I have modified for full-time infrared.

I don't know if this pricetag is out of the ballpark or not - but it is a great lens.
    edited May 11, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Sorry for the link failure, Jane. I just went back to amazon for you and got the proper link

http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-AF17-50mm-Aspherical-Canon-Cameras/dp/B000EXR0SI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1210470361&sr=1-2

My question still stands, why worry about driving when you can buy online thumb.gif

It is partly my fault that you did more looking up as I did a quick reply when I came in in the midst of cutting grass to get something and noticed your answer. Sorry I didn't get back to you further before now as I already went and did further looking on that site and found the right one. Offer is very similar and of interest.

The mention of driving distance was to keep from getting a bunch of suggestions to try at local camera shop as there is nothing local unless you count a small Wal-Mart that does not carry this quality — or much selection at all.thumb.gif

Thanks
    Jane B.
    edited May 12, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Jane,

The Tamron 17-50mm, f/2.8 XR Di II should work great for you. I haven't seen too many issues with that lens so I would not worry too much about returns.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423714-REG/Tamron_AF016C700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html

BTW, the "Illinois cornfield" is a joke in that I have an older house that appears to have originally been a farm house, so probably originally in a corn field. Now I'm fully incorporated in a small city.

Thanks for the vote of confidence in the lens; your's is one I really respect. I have gotten similar comments several other places as well. At this point, Andy's link to Amazon seems to have the best deal. Now to wait for arrival of "stimulus check" which should be in the next week or so, if I follow the IRS site right.

I didn't know how you came to the cornfield reference but thought you were in an area of Illinois were corn is a major crop. The part of southen Illinois where I am has about as many soybeans fields as corn — so just tried to extend the medifor(sp?).

Not too surprised that you were not familiar with my old lens. The original version, which I have, was only in production a matter of months. If you don't mind going to another forum you might enjoy reading this old thread — most the of photos linked in it are no longer up but the words pretty well tell the story. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1029&message=5680250

Thanks again
    Jane B.
    edited May 12, 2008
    rpcrowe wrote:
    You mentioned budget blues but, didn't mention the requirement for the long side of your prospective lens.

The Tokina 12-24mm f/4 ATX is an outstanding lens with 19.2mm to 38.4mm equivalent focal range. That gives you an ultra wide to about a widish-normal capability. It also matches up well with the 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens which can be had used but like-new for a very good price since many folks are purchasing them as kit lenses with intentions on selling them.

The Tokina lens runs $500 including the lens hood for which Canon charges extra on most non-L lenses.

Although this lens is designed for a 1.6x format, it is NOT an EFs lens. I often use one on my Canon D60 which I have modified for full-time infrared.

I don't know if this pricetag is out of the ballpark or not - but it is a great lens.

Thanks but I think by starting at 17 I will have a range that will result in less lens changes for my style of shooting. I think you also missed that I already have a Canon 28-70 3.5-4.5.

Thanks again
    Jane B.
  • MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    The Tamron 17-50 really interests me.

Jane,
    I bought a new Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 from B&H Photo and it was delivered to my door by the guy in the Brown truck. :D

So far, it has worked as advertised on both my 30D and 40D and I'm real pleased.
    Mike
    Jane B. wrote:
    Thanks but I think by starting at 17 I will have a range that will result in less lens changes for my style of shooting. I think you also missed that I already have a Canon 28-70 3.5-4.5.

Thanks again
    Jane B.
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.