Smugmug Items on ebay

WaynesworldphotographyWaynesworldphotography Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited July 6, 2008 in Flea Market
I typed in " Smugmug " from the ebay search bar and found that someone is selling the smug camera strap.. when they are free here.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=280225385487&Category=50507&_trksid=p3907.m29

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    I typed in " Smugmug " from the ebay search bar and found that someone is selling the smug camera strap.. when they are free here.. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=280225385487&Category=50507&_trksid=p3907.m29
    Not much we can do about it :( I'll try though.
    Bad form, bad form....

Thx for the heads up
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    I sent the seller a question asking if that is the same exact strap the SM gives away for free:Ddeal.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    I sent the seller a question asking if that is the same exact strap the SM gives away for free:Ddeal.gif

Eric

That is terrible......I also sent a message asking almost the same question and suggesting that this person could have put in the Pay It Forward thread since there are still people on a waiting list.....I presume there is still a waiting list.......Really P***** me off when people do things like that............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• BBiggsBBiggs Registered Users Posts: 688 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Eric&Susan wrote:

Eric

I did too! I don't like seeing that done. I pay for my subscription for Image Hosting, and did get a free strap, but I wouldn't turn around and sell it. Not in good taste at all.
    edited May 10, 2008
    He seems to have paid ten dollars for it hahaha im sure:
    Q: Isn't this the same strap you can get for free from smugmug???????? Which means you got it free, correct??????May-10-08A: I have no idea if smugmug gives them out for free or not. I just know they are a picture website. If I did get it for free why would you care. But since it seems to bother you I will be more than happy to tell you I paid $ 10.00 for it then since it was not large enough so I thought I would offer a good deal to some one starting a .99 cents and free shipping. So no it was not FREE to me since you now know. Do not care if it sells for $2.00... still lost money ... So am glad you know now that it was not free to me. Have a great day !
    edited May 10, 2008
    That is funny....I offered over $10 for extras and was told I could not pay for the strap....they were free......I have not seen it offered for sale anywhere.....MY o' My what some people will do...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited May 10, 2008
    All for a buck. I hope his car breaks down on the interstate :D
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Art Scott wrote:
    That is funny....I offered over $10 for extras and was told I could not pay for the strap....they were free......I have not seen it offered for sale anywhere.....MY o' My what some people will do...............

I saw one offered over at FM and sent Andy a PM about it. He then posted to the guys FS ad that people could get one for free from SM. The guy must have had a change of heart because then he offered it for free plus the cost of shippingrolleyes1.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • James SJames S Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    Although I agree that he should not be selling this do keep in mind he could have easily bought this from someone not knowing it was a freebie here. PLease don't assume he got it here free. Someone here on Dgrin could have sold it to him.

I would suggest we all do the civilized thing and just let smugmug/dgrin take care of it.

If he relist it I would be more than happy to buy it and then give it away free here.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    The seller took the strap down.

This is the second time I've seen this, about two weeks ago a guy on FM tried to sell one for $10 as well lol3.gif
    edited May 10, 2008
    I emailed him told him I will buy it. If he lets me buy it I will give it away here.
    edited May 10, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    The seller took the strap down.

This is the second time I've seen this, about two weeks ago a guy on FM tried to sell one for $10 as well lol3.gif

COMMUNITY PRESSURE......can work wonders......I recieved the same email as was posted by BBIGGS from the EBAY listing........I answered his reply to me to bring it to Dgrin and post it on the PAY IT FORWARD thread.........

just glad it has been taken down.................

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    While I agree this is about as tacky as it gets... any publicity is good publicity :D
    edited May 11, 2008
    Well he replied and offered to mail it to me for free. I replied and still offered to pay him becasue we don't know for sure that he did receive it for free. He could have easily bought it and not known. Either way I will keep you guys posted becasue if I do receive it I will give it away.
  • yoyostockyoyostock Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    I find this kinda funny and actually feel somewhat bad for the dude. Assuming he is telling the truth and he actually did buy it off someone else for $10, his attempt to just recoup some of his losses on eBay resulted in a bunch of "what the heck are you trying to pull?!?" messages from Smuggers accusing him of trying to sell something that's free. He was either a capitalist Smugmugger without ethics, or maybe he was just an innocent eBayer. Funny, I thought.
  • Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Then comes a bigger question: Why would anyone want to get rid of the strap? I have used it on several shoots with flash on board and barely feel the kit around my neck...it is soooo comfortable.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Davidd10Davidd10 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 16, 2008
    Strap
    I ordered my strap a couple months ago and have never got one. Have you started selling them on EBay???

David
    A paying SmugMug User!!!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    :D It is so cool i wont sale it for 100$ may be for 1000$ headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    :D It is so cool i wont sale it for 100$ may be for 1000$ headscratch.gif
    Laughing.gif I dunno.. If somene coughed up 1k for my strap. I may be inclined to visit the dark side. mwink.gif
    I can handle groveling for forgiveness rolleyes1.gif

I know what you mean though Awais deal.gif I love my strap and it's on my main body/ Not just a backup body strap :D
  • Jeff FillmoreJeff Fillmore Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2008
    Maybe someone would buy it if they wanted more than one- will Smugmug give away or sell more than one of these? I got mine and my wife took it for her D80. headscratch.gif:D
    Thanks!
    Jeff

flickr

• DVDMDVDM Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited June 24, 2008
    Hey ! I want one, but it's "US and Canada" as always =)
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited June 24, 2008
    DVDM wrote:
    Hey ! I want one, but it's "US and Canada" as always =)
    What do you mean?

You do NOT want to buy one on ebay. If you have a smugmug account, you get to have a strap for FREE, and ANYWHERE in the world (although they are out of stock, so be patient).

here: http://smugmug.com/free-stuff.mg?offered=yes&
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited June 25, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    What do you mean?

You do NOT want to buy one on ebay. If you have a smugmug account, you get to have a strap for FREE, and ANYWHERE in the world (although they are out of stock, so be patient).

WOOOOOOOOOW !!!! wings.gif
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    What do you mean?

SmugMug has got to be one of the best businesses around. They always seem to go that extra step to make life nicer for all of us!clap.gifwings.gif
    edited June 25, 2008
    SmugMug has got to be one of the best businesses around. They always seem to go that extra step to make life nicer for all of us!clap.gifwings.gif

I feel I'm in love with SnugMug iloveyou.gif
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    rex wrote:
    I emailed him told him I will buy it. If he lets me buy it I will give it away here.

Thanks Rex. I would love one.wings.gif
  • zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2008
    I think if Smugmug contacs ebay, they will pull the guys listing... a friend was selling all his dads scientology stuff on ebay (his dad was HUGE in scientology and died) and the Scientology folks contacted ebay and had the auctions pulled down, appearently, even if you buy stuff, if its got a company logo on it, its not really yours to do what you want with it..at least according to Ebay.. (or they are scared of getting a Hex put on them by the scientologists!!) anyhow, Im sure if you complain, they will remove the listing!!
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited June 30, 2008
    I want one... how come I just found out about this???
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro
    edited June 30, 2008
    For a follow up post I have yet to see a strap and have not heard from him. So maybe he decided to keep it.