If you must use flash

joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
edited May 11, 2008 in People
who doesn't like natural light better than flash? But, if you must use flash, this is my favorite way to do it. Mind you, this is not a studio shot. Dawson and I are sitting on two ends of the couch (it would have been a little better with his 50mm instead of my 85; the couch was not quite wide enough. I pitched the flash directly to the side. I don't know how close this is to 3:1 lighting, but I was pretty pleased.

CC welcome

293119486_rLUCy-XL.jpg

Comments

• JimmyZJimmyZ Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    You lighting looks good.
    Are you saying you bounced the flash off of a wall?
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    JimmyZ wrote:
    You lighting looks good.
    Are you saying you bounced the flash off of a wall?

yes--slightly off white (eggshell?) wall that is a foot or less from the flash. The couch we are both sitting on is against the wall.
  • JimmyZJimmyZ Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    Looks good.
    I wonder if you were to bounce off that wall but point the flash up a little so you get you keylight closer to 1 o'clock if you wouldn't see a bit of an improvement.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    JimmyZ wrote:
    Looks good.
    I wonder if you were to bounce off that wall but point the flash up a little so you get you keylight closer to 1 o'clock if you wouldn't see a bit of an improvement.

Maybe. I will try that next time.
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    JimmyZ wrote:
    Looks good.

In most cases probably. In this particular case, pointing it straight across might have been the best option. The light source can't go up too much more before the cap visor would have created a shadow on the face. The way this one was done, you can actually see the forehead and under the visor.