It's been a busy couple months...

AmateurMXAmateurMX Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
edited May 11, 2008 in Sports
Lots of traveling, covering races and shooting. I thought I would share some of the stuff I’ve been shooting with you guys.

First off, the amateur motocross season got underway in March in Lake Whitney, Texas. I tried to mix it up a little with some off-camera flash and long-lens flash, using my PW’s and Norman 200B.
08lw1.jpg
08flw3.jpg
08lwt1.jpg
08lwt10.jpg
08lwt12.jpg
08lwt5.jpg

The next week it was back to Texas for the Oak Hill GNC. I didn’t too fancy with the photo there. It was pretty sunny the whole week and the strobes usually look better when it’s cloudy and dark.
toh2.jpg
toh4.jpg
i108.jpg

After the amateur races, things got a little dicey at home. We kicked off the tonado season with an F1 that blew through our town. It touched down and took out some roofs and half a house a few miles from my house. Then it took out a miles worth of powerlines one the street in front of my neighborhood. That was a lot of fun!
08t10.jpg
08t2.jpg
08t7.jpg

Then it was back to Texas to cover the Dallas Supercross for my friend at Vitalmx.com.
i12Photo7.jpg
i12Photo24.jpg
i12Photo22.jpg
13iPhoto11.jpg
13iPhoto12.jpg

After that it was off to Las Vegas for the next big race on the amateur calendar...the Las Vegas World Mini Grand Prix.
i14Photo1.jpg
08wmwPhoto9.jpg
_DSC2573.jpg
_DSC2624.jpg
_DSC2883.jpg

Once I got back home from Vegas I set up a shoot with the newly crowned East Lites Supercross Champion, Trey Canard for a feature in our mag.
_DSC4241.jpg
_DSC4199.jpg
_DSC4212.jpg
_DSC4236.jpg

Seems like our town has a tornado target on it this year. We just had some more severe weather blow through last week that briefly dropped another small tornado.
i15PHOTO12.jpg

Anyway, that’s all that’s been happening in my world lately. Hope you guys enjoy the photos. As always, any comments and criticisims are welcomed.

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 11, 2008
    Is that all? lol3.gif

#4 mudfest is really stunning - catchlights in the eye and all that mud!

But what happened to the indoor shots? all of a sudden you've got red-eye after several outdoor strobed shots where you seemed to master the technique. Weird indoor light?
    ne_nau.gif

and that last lightning landscape, wow! Great stuff, thank's for sharing!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    After seeing photos like yours, I just want to throw my camera in the garbage.
  • AmateurMXAmateurMX Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Is that all? lol3.gif

#4 mudfest is really stunning - catchlights in the eye and all that mud!

But what happened to the indoor shots? all of a sudden you've got red-eye after several outdoor strobed shots where you seemed to master the technique. Weird indoor light?
    ne_nau.gif

and that last lightning landscape, wow! Great stuff, thank's for sharing!

The closer the flash is to the lens, you’re going to get redeye at night, no matter what. If you move the flash off camera you can eliminate redeye.

At night the pupils are larger and therefore redeye is more previlent. During the day redeye isn’t a problem, because the pupils are smaller.

Most of the motocross photographers shoot supercross with available light, nowadays, thanks to the high ISO capabilities of the cameras. I’m still a little oldschool and like the look of flash balanced with ambient light.

Here are some supercross photos that I shot with the flash moved off to the side. No more redeye.
    AtlantaSX08CH_040.jpg
    IzziAtlanta.jpg
    CoisyAtlanta.jpg
    TreyAtlanta.jpg

It's dificult to shoot a lot of off-camera flash photos at supercross due to the limitations of the angles and access to certain parts of the track. The race promoters only allow photographers to shoot from a few designated spots.
  • brncr6brncr6 Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    Nice
    You've got some great photos, well done.
  • WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    I enjoyed viewing these shots a lot . Brings back memorries of my younger years Laughing.gif (geesh , now I sound like my dad Laughing.gifheadscratch.gif )

Sorry to hear about your bad weather ...
  • ZeeZee Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    They're all great but #4 and #8 of the first batch really stand out. Love the perfect focus on the eyes along with the flying mud. Beatiful captures of fast action. thumb.gif
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Major grins Bournemouth, UKPosts: 0 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    There some damm fine pictures there, I like no2, the riders seem to be thinking "what am I doing", I luv no4 getting a mud shower, no14 the indoors start. I could go on, suffice to say well done

Tim
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 11, 2008
    AmateurMX wrote:
    The closer the flash is to the lens, you’re going to get redeye at night, no matter what. If you move the flash off camera you can eliminate redeye.

At night the pupils are larger and therefore redeye is more previlent. During the day redeye isn’t a problem, because the pupils are smaller.

Most of the motocross photographers shoot supercross with available light, nowadays, thanks to the high ISO capabilities of the cameras. I’m still a little oldschool and like the look of flash balanced with ambient light.

Here are some supercross photos that I shot with the flash moved off to the side. No more redeye.

It's dificult to shoot a lot of off-camera flash photos at supercross due to the limitations of the angles and access to certain parts of the track. The race promoters only allow photographers to shoot from a few designated spots.
    And that's what makes a good post a great post: some informative answers! nod.gif

Thanks!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]