First Maternity shoot

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited May 11, 2008 in People
Alright y'all, this was my first time. One thing I've been noticing is I need wider backdrops. I just don't have much room to work with. Any helpful pointers you all can give would be wonderful!
Picture060blackandwhitecopy.jpg

textured background. The spot on her belly is her other hand. The light really fell there.
Picture048copy.jpg
Picture063copy.jpg
Picture037HotFudge1.jpg
Picture018starburstvignette.jpg
Picture016copy-2.jpg

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    #2 is a fantastic shot! clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    ShepsMom wrote:
    #2 is a fantastic shot! clap.gifclapclap.gif

15524779-Ti.gif my favorite of the set as well :)
  • 1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    I also like the backlighting effect on #2. My only nit pick is your selection transitions between the subject and drop (where it looks like you did a major level or curve adjustment) is kinda noticible. If you used a layer mask, you could work on those transitions (around her hair, for example). If you used a selection area, that's a little tougher. The detail you mention about her hand on the belly also looks like it might have another noticible transition, flattening off the hand or belly at the top. Try reworking, cuz it's a fine image!

I also like seeing both peeps in #6, and its got just enough definition between the black cloths and lack background, which can be tough.
    Nice job!
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • VanquizVanquiz Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    Great shots, really beautiful shots ...

May I ask if you dont mind, what do you use for lighting, since Im planning to do portrait / studio photog in about a year perhaps, need to improve my basic skill first before I jump to the next step ...
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    Vanquiz wrote:
    Great shots, really beautiful shots ...

May I ask if you dont mind, what do you use for lighting, since Im planning to do portrait / studio photog in about a year perhaps, need to improve my basic skill first before I jump to the next step ...

I got my Sigma EF 530 DG ST on Friday. I also brought studio lights, but chose not to used them after some initial test shots. I just bounced my flash off the ceiling. I was/am really excited by how well that worked.

Thanks for the comments.:D
  • ShudderzShudderz Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    Alright y'all, this was my first time. One thing I've been noticing is I need wider backdrops. I just don't have much room to work with. Any helpful pointers you all can give would be wonderful!

How wide is your backdrop? I had troubles with thinking my backdrop wasn't wide enough to begin with, then I learned a great thing......

After WPPI I found that a LOT of the top photographers are using their 70-200 lens in studio, shooting from further back. First, this allows use of a narrower backdrop without catching the edges. Second, it gives a nice DOF to allow a backdrop to have a nice blur.

I have been shooting in studio now with my 70-200 on a tripod and won't go back. I have even found myself shooting from a ladder for most shots. (Another thing learned from a speaker at WPPI)

Hope that helps!

-Heather
    Heather
    www.heatherdunnphotography.com
    My Blog My Facebook Page
    GIVING BACK - How will you give?
    "I look at life outside of the lens and capture the world through it." -Thomas Robinson
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    Hi there.

You got some beautiful photos! Congrats :D

I think my favorites are #3 & 4.

Just 2 quick comments:

- You can see your cutting edge on #2, try to fix it (hair & shirt) + I would take out her other hand, as it's hard to tell what exactly it is... and it will be a great shot!
    - #6 is also a nice shot, but it's cropped a bit too thight in my opinion (especially as it looks like he's looking down at her belly/ or his hands .... and you get kind of curious what is down there ... but then you can't see it) ... if you know what I mean.

I am SURE they were really excited when they got the photos!!! Nice series!! clap.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    I am going against the grain I guess, but I prefer #5 over the rest. I like well done detail shots, and this appears to be one of them....:D

Very nice!!!
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    Great job! #2 is something special especially if you can fix the cutting edge! clap.gif
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com