40D: Is it new or used ?

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited May 12, 2008 in Cameras
Good Afternoon Folks,
When opening a new camera and taking a few test shots, is it normal for the file number to show 5600 or 5675, etc, as opposed to 1 or 2 ? The camera appears new in just about every other way, but I was concerned mainly about the number of (possible) shots taken on a new camera.
Thanks for your help :thumb
Have a good day :D
Jim...

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 11, 2008
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Afternoon Folks,
    When opening a new camera and taking a few test shots, is it normal for the file number to show 5600 or 5675, etc, as opposed to 1 or 2 ? The camera appears new in just about every other way, but I was concerned mainly about the number of (possible) shots taken on a new camera.
    Thanks for your help thumb.gif
    Jim...

If you put a card in the camera that had been used in another camera, the 40D can (depending upon the settings of the camera) pick up the numbering of the previous camera.

Is that a possibility?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    Good Afternoon Ziggy,
    I guess that's possible, but the card was reformatted prior to being used.
    If that's the case, then is there a way to find the actual count with the included software ?
    Thanks and have a good evening :D
    Jim...
    ziggy53 wrote:
    If you put a card in the camera that had been used in another camera, the 40D can (depending upon the settings of the camera) pick up the numbering of the previous camera.

Is that a possibility?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 11, 2008
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Afternoon Ziggy,
    If that's the case, then is there a way to find the actual count with the included software ?
    Thanks and have a good evening :D
    Jim...

Only the 1D/1Ds cameras have the ability to show total actuations (AFAIK).

Supposedly, Canon Repair have a device that attaches to the camera that can read total actuations. If you send the camera to Canon they may be able to tell you.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    Thanks Ziggy.
    I'll let it go and just enjoy it thumb.gif As I said, it appears to be new in every other way, but the file number is what threw me off.
    Have a good evening :D
    Jim...
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Only the 1D/1Ds cameras have the ability to show total actuations (AFAIK).

Supposedly, Canon Repair have a device that attaches to the camera that can read total actuations. If you send the camera to Canon they may be able to tell you.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 12, 2008
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Afternoon Ziggy,

Formatting does not reset the numbering if the camera is set to continuous numbering.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited May 12, 2008
    I got this question by PM and am posting my reply here.
    Good Afternoon,
    Will the actual picture number show on a brand new card ? Thank you very much thumb.gif
    I think it would have if the first time you used the camera it was with a brand new card. I'm not absolutely sure of that, mind you. But once it picks up a number from a card, it continues from there.

I had a similar experience when I bought my 20D. It was showing 3000 or so. I later realized that was the count on my P&S, in which I was using the card before. If you have any other reason to think that the new camera wasn't really new, you could ship it to Canon to be checked...they can tell. But if the card numbering is the only reason, I think you should just relax. BTW, there is a menu function somewhere that lets you reset the counter if you want. Check the manual.

Since others may be interested (and might correct errors of mine), I'm going to post this exchange in the public thread.

Cheers,