Just got a 10,000 $$$ Grant help

2»

Comments

• SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    You also want to start advertising now. If you start marketing the day your business opens. Your going to have some looong days of nothing but trying to get clients.
    Find a local publication and contact them to let them know about your new business. They may want to interview you. If they don't, advertise anyway. You need to create a buzz about your business so ppl are interested.
    DoctorIt wrote:
    how about a good computer? You'll need plenty of speed and memory to keep up with the loads of frames from commercial shooting.

Photoshop CS3 or similar pro level software to process.

How about a website? You savvy enough to make one yourself?
    if not, web designer fees
    then, website hosting fees
    photo storage/viewing (at least something like a SmugMug Pro account)

business cards
    other advertising
    Please don't forget about what Erik said. (above quote)
    Unfortunately, photography os 10% photography and 90% sales and marketing. It doesn't matter if you were cloned from Ansel Adams nowdays. If you aren't visible to the public, you just won't be able to get your business off the ground.

Long term thoughts:
    Allot of small business owners tend to slack off w/ sales and marketing when business is booming. This should be the opposite of what you do though. Hire some kids to hand out more flyers w/ revenue is there. Advertise more on the web. Set up a press release about how successful your business is w/ a "rags to riches" story or something.

Strike while the Iron is hot!
    edited May 14, 2008
    I know this seems like allot. But setting up a business is a huge undertaking.

Oh yea.. Not sure if it's been mentioned...

Have you registered your business w/ the state you live in? Most states, you can't just start up shop and start making money w/o registering your business.

You'll also want to contact an accountant unless your REALLY good w/ numbers. If Uncle Same catches you in a mistake. He is able to just take your money w/o permission. (kinda like wage garnishment). So make sure you have all your legal stuff squared away.
  • MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    My 2 cents
    Hello April, and welcome to Dgrin.

Let me start by saying that I am not a pro, normally a portrait photographer, or a Canon shooter, so take any of my advice with a grain of salt.

Firstly, congrats on following your dream. Even if you don't make it long term, you are miles ahead of most folks who never quite manage to try (myself included.)

Secondly, this site is a great resource for all things photography (I am a long time lurker) but like any community, it can take some time to get used to. The folks here are, by and large, good people with a lot of great advice. But without knowing them or how they tend to interact, gentile ribbing can seem like harsh criticism. And they sometimes don't pull punches when critiquing photos. You should never take this as an attack on you, but rather try and take away advice on how to improve your photography.

Ok, onto equipment. The 5D is likely a good choice of cameras. I don't own one, but I have see them in action. Bear in mind that it is a full frame sensor(I think), so a 24mm lens on a 5D behaves as a 24mm lens. (On crop sensors, a 24mm behaves more like a 36mm lens.) But this means that you won't be using any digital only lenses (Nikon calls these DX lenses, I don't know what Canon calls them) since they are designed for a sensor that is smaller than a full frame. (I hope that wasn't too confusing...) I would buy my camera body new and US, not imported(so you get a factory warranty), from a reputable soruce, B&H and Adorama come to mind.

Then start looking for lenses. Here you can get some great deals on used lenses. Both B&H and Adorama have used equipment sections, and you can find some decent lenses at decent prices there. For portraiture, you tend to want a lens in "telephoto" range, something like 85mm - 135mm is pretty standard, but you can go longer or shorter if you want. It tends to give a more flattering picture, and you can stand back a bit from your subject. Zoom lenses are fine, but I really like to use a good fast prime lense for this. It doesn't need to be super fast (like a f1.4) but you usually don't want to use a lens wide open. Most lenses have a sweet spot for aperture, so if it is a f1.8 wide open, you might find that when you use it in the f4 -f8 range it looks best. There are lots and lots of reviews of these sorts of things on the internet, so soak up as much knowledge as you can before you buy.

Lighting is going to be something that will really effect how hard you have to work to get a good image. And here I suggest a trip to your local Barnes and Noble. There are a lot of photography books out there, and B&N doesn't really care if you sit in a chair and browse a book or two. You don't have to buy it, but you can get some great ideas for how to set up lights in a flattering way in your studio. There are also several books with titles like "DIY lighting" or "Cheap Photography" that can show you ways make your own reflectors and softboxes. If you get a chance to go check out a local pro's studio, do it! Everything we do depends on light, so the smarter you can be about putting your lighting together, the easier your life will be. There are also lots of books (and websites) on technique that will help you if you are struggling to get something "just right."

Now you have to think about how you are going to do post processing and printing. I suggest that you forget about printing your own for now. Use one of the online services (like printing from Smugmug, the site that dgrin is affiliated with) for your printing needs. You can have prints sent to you in just a couple of days and you don't have to worry about the cost/time involved with running your own printer. You can find some very good home printers that are under $1,000, but I think you should focus on your other equipment for now. Printing your own stuff can come later on.

As for post processing, nearly any digital photograph is going to need at least a little bit of post work. The better you get at taking pictures the less work you have to do after the fact. You can go with Photshop, Bridge, Adobe Raw, etc. but they do add up in cost fast. If you are going to shoot in your cameras Raw mode (and I think you should try to sooner rather than later because it lets you get back detail in the highlights and shadows) you will need a way to process them. There are lots of ways to do this, including the Adobe products mentioned above. While Photoshop is pretty standard, I am a linux user and that means I am pretty well out of luck (It is possible to make it go, but more work than I want to put into a product I would have to pay so much for.) But don't think that it is the only way to go from Raw to finished picture. I suggest taking a look at a product called Bibble Pro as well (and I am sure that lots of folks here can suggest other alternatives.) But the point is that you will have to invest both time and money in some sort of post processing software.

So, not much of that is very specific hardware advice, but I felt like typing today. :)

Again, good luck to you and I hope you meet with success.

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    How to spend the money in 30 days?

Buy a $8,000 gift card from B&H :D!
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    How to spend the money in 30 days?

Buy a $8,000 gift card from B&H :D!

I read quickly through your list. I bought the Baby poser - Don't waste your money on it. Much better to go to Target and buy a small child's beanbag chair. it works better. Buy a few microfiber fleece blankets - in assorted colors about $20 each. All you need for babies.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    More
    ChatKat wrote:
    I read quickly through your list. I bought the Baby poser - Don't waste your money on it. Much better to go to Target and buy a small child's beanbag chair. it works better. Buy a few microfiber fleece blankets - in assorted colors about $20 each. All you need for babies.

Your spending plan (I am an accountant by day) is off kilter.
    If you buy the 5D you will have a great body, but you are better off allocating the money toward lenses. A 40d will give you great results for - 1/2 the price; Get good lenses - the 24-70 or the 17-55 and the 70-200 4.0 - you will be ahead of the game. The 5d is about to be replaced but the 40d will allow you to have more things that won't need replacing as you earn money. Actually, you need TWO cameras. One to cover you if one goes down. You always need two to shoot at a wedding as a backup.

The backdrops and things on your list are overkill. Buy one grey one and the gels. You can be creative with that and have plenty;

Make sure you get a 580ex and a 430 ex as a 2nd slave
    Buy a reflector set.

The ABs are good starter lights.

A good computer will cost you over $1500. You also need accounting software and a way to learn it. ($200 for QuickBooks) Peripherals will be about $1000 - printer (even for office printing!) office supplies - business cards, stationery for contracts, invoices, file folders, model releases envelopes, packaging to deliver work...

And one additional thing....you mentioned that you have a bad back. I have some back issues myself and I shoot weddings. You will need a way to carry all the wedding gear on you - a good camera case to hold your spare lenses, the compact flash (add about 30mgs ( in 2-4 or 8 mg size)mg And if you cannot you will need someone to guard it AND you will need insurance for all the gear and liability insurance incase your camera has a problem.

Personally, I don't think that the grant is really sufficient to buy all that you will need until you are sure you will really be bringing in clients. Advertising is not inexpensive. I can tell you that I have financed my own studio start up and I bought some very simple things, had most of my own camera equipment already and $10000 would not have been nearly enough to really make a dent.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    I agree. The 40D is lots of camera. Get glass. Get lights.
  • ExpressionsByAprilExpressionsByApril Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Thanku all for the help, Things went great at my appointment for my grant, I should star getting my stuff ordered in a month. Wahooooo. Lots of stuff to do like a business class, them paying for a business license, talking to a voc rehab expert and so on and so on. Plus I think i get a financial advisor for a year too.

i think I have decided on a nikon d300 not sure still thinking about it.

Just wanted to say thanku all so muchclap.gif
    edited May 15, 2008
    i think I have decided on a Nikon d300 not sure still thinking about it.
    Now your talking :D I'm not partial or anything. But Nikon is the best mwink.gif
    A good reliable camera as a backup for the Nikon line is the D70s. this way you have a good backup that doesn't break the bank. It's a very reliable camera.
  • PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2008
    Thanku all for the help, Things went great at my appointment for my grant, I should star getting my stuff ordered in a month. Wahooooo. Lots of stuff to do like a business class, them paying for a business license, talking to a voc rehab expert and so on and so on. Plus I think i get a financial advisor for a year too.

i think I have decided on a nikon d300 not sure still thinking about it.

Just wanted to say thanku all so muchclap.gif

Insurance is a good add on to your list. Im just finding out my equipment isnt covered with my homeowners ins. I had to add to the policy. In the process of getting liability / equipment ins quotes.

There's alot to learn here and at other forums. Classes are good too. you have ambition and will be fine.

Good Luck

Pamela
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net