Best camera for the buck....

xena0966xena0966 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
edited June 6, 2008 in Cameras
Hello...I'm very interested in purchasing a digital slr camera...but am confused about what to buy...my interests are photographing my horses at competitions and ones for sale. I'd like to spend less than a 1000.00...I've been looking at the Nikon D40...any thoughts on other options? Is the D80 that much better and worth it for a newbie?

One thing to keep in mind is that I would love to start playing with the photography enough to submit photos to places like iStock if the quality is good enough. So with that in mind, is the D40 going to be able to do it? Can I sell photos with a camera in my price range?

I realize I have a long way to go before getting to the point of making money but the long term goal is there....and I'd love to not have to switch cameras for awhile...thanks

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Less then 1000 what about XTI or XSi and some long range lens depending on distance you will be shooting your horses.

I used mine at horse show with 50mm 1.8 nifty fifty was able to get decent photos but this lens is not good for focusing. Then i used friend's 17-85 IS focus was fast and more accurate.

here are samples

Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • xena0966xena0966 Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    is that a cannon? how much do they run? Great pics...

Looking on another thread, someone mentioned the new sony...not sure about that one though....
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 12, 2008
    xena0966 wrote:
    Hello...I'm very interested in purchasing a digital slr camera...but am confused about what to buy...my interests are photographing my horses at competitions and ones for sale. I'd like to spend less than a 1000.00...I've been looking at the Nikon D40...any thoughts on other options? Is the D80 that much better and worth it for a newbie?

One thing to keep in mind is that I would love to start playing with the photography enough to submit photos to places like iStock if the quality is good enough. So with that in mind, is the D40 going to be able to do it? Can I sell photos with a camera in my price range?

I realize I have a long way to go before getting to the point of making money but the long term goal is there....and I'd love to not have to switch cameras for awhile...thanks

The best approach to purchasing "anything" is to define your needs first and then find the tools that match your needs. The costs will be dictated by the appropriate tools.

In your case you mention your horses and competition. What are the circumstances under which you will shoot?

Indoors?
    Light?
    Action/motion?
    Distance?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    There are lots of great options. I will put a plug in for the Olympus DSLR cameras.
    You can get an E510 body with 2 lenses for only about $650. An extreme bargain for a very feature-packed camera. Can get the similar setup in the E410 or E420 for a bit less. Also a great option.

Here is a gallery of shots I did with the E510:
    http://jswinton.smugmug.com/gallery/4606927_eyh8E
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    If you end up going with a Canon may I suggest waiting till the 18th, that's when the instant rebates should be starting making the 40D in the $950+/- range.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 12, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The best approach to purchasing "anything" is to define your needs first and then find the tools that match your needs. The costs will be dictated by the appropriate tools.

In your case you mention your horses and competition. What are the circumstances under which you will shoot?

Indoors?
    Light?
    Action/motion?
    Distance?

I agree with ziggy, the best thing to do, once you determine your exact needs, is to hold each one in your hands. I am a nikon person, but that's because that's what feels good in my hands. Each make and model has lots to offer. I feel trying to steer you in anyone direction would be selfish and biased, you ultimately need to determine those requirements that serve your purpose, then look for the best set up that fits those requirements. I have lot's of friends that shoot canon, nikon, olympus and so on, but that is what feels good to them and fits their needs.
    The moderators on this board are a wealth of knowledge as well as a lot of members. Be patient, listen to what's important to you and then go for it.

I seriously doubt you could go wrong with any set up as long as you gear the equipment to your specific needs. I will say that canon seems to be a bit cheaper to step into and there seems to be a good resale market. Nikon is a bit higher and holds their value well. But I guess the toughest thing I learned is that "good" glass is expensive no matter the make of the body it is attached too.:yikes

Good luck in your search and welcome to your new bank account draining hobby!rolleyes1.gif
    edited May 12, 2008
    Thanks for the replies...well, most of my shots are outside...at horse events or when taking sales pictures of horses. There may be the occasional indoor event where I will be taking pictures in an indoor arena. Also the pictures will be of moving animals or trying to get that elusive standing picture of an animal. Those are my biggest needs...the sideline of trying to sell those on a place like iStock is kind of a dream right now. I have no idea of the quality that is required for that but want to learn.

Does that help?
    edited May 12, 2008
    xena0966 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies...well, most of my shots are outside...at horse events or when taking sales pictures of horses. There may be the occasional indoor event where I will be taking pictures in an indoor arena. Also the pictures will be of moving animals or trying to get that elusive standing picture of an animal. Those are my biggest needs...the sideline of trying to sell those on a place like iStock is kind of a dream right now. I have no idea of the quality that is required for that but want to learn.

Does that help?

Yes, now we have a much better feel for your needs.

As long as you don't do a lot of jumping competition in indoor arenas (or other "action" needs), there are lots of camera/lens combinations to consider.

The first thing, more important than the camera or lens, is proper lighting. For sales shots you might consider an open shade situation if possible. If you have to shoot in bright sunlight, an additional fill light and the ability to control the light ratios with high-speed-sync is probably important.

In the indoor situations, you may want the flash to be the more dominant light, but you may want it positioned off the camera if possible.

All of this means a fairly powerful flash with options and features beyond basic flash usage.

The Nikon D40 appears to start at ISO 200 and, although it does have 1/500the flash sync, does not appear to support HSS/FP flash modes. For that reason alone, I would recommend a different camera that does support HSS/FP mode and a flash that is compatible as well.

(Yes, you can use neutral density filters to reduce the sunlight, but that also affects autofocus and darkens the view and reduces the effective power and efficiency of your flash.)

Compatible Nikon models would be:

D80
    D200
    pretty much on up.

Most other manufacturers provide HSS/FP mode even on their entry level cameras, so you might widen your search.
    ziggy53
    edited May 12, 2008
    so....just out of curiosity...what quality of camera do the people use that load their photos on places like istock.com? Are any of them using the amateur camera's or are they utilizing more of the higher end camera equipment like the D300? Is there that much of a difference in a D300 vs. the D80 that the average person would notice? Its making me wonder if I should buy a camera for the long haul instead of having to upgrade later....
    edited May 12, 2008
    xena0966 wrote:
    so....just out of curiosity...what quality of camera do the people use that load their photos on places like istock.com? Are any of them using the amateur camera's or are they utilizing more of the higher end camera equipment like the D300? Is there that much of a difference in a D300 vs. the D80 that the average person would notice? Its making me wonder if I should buy a camera for the long haul instead of having to upgrade later....

Most of the time people buying stock images don't care what camera shot what image. The differences are:

Subject matter.
    Composition
    Proper exposure and post processing.
    Image quality, mostly relating to lighting, sharpness (focus accuracy comes into play), contrast and color.

If you can satisfy the customer's demands in those areas (subject matter is a tough guess for stock images), you will likely make a sale if your prices are reasonable.

After subject, composition and lighting, accurate focus and sharpness are generally more important than camera choice. The camera can impact on focus accuracy, especially at low light levels and with low contrast subjects.

The are real reasons why the best lenses and cameras cost as much as they do, but "you" and your ability to use the lights and the lenses and the camera and the post-processing software will also have a major impact on the quality of the images you produce.

Quality photography is a major investment in equipment and time and ability.
    ziggy53
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 12, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

Quality photography is a major investment in equipment and time and ability.

lol, how true, 5 figures invested and still not done.bowdown.gif
    edited May 12, 2008
    thanks...I seriously wonder if I'll have the time to do it...perhaps I can learn and by the time I get really good I'll be in my retirement years ready to spend all the time in the world...I'm leaning toward the D80...I did go to a camera store and check the cannon and the Nikon out for feel...still need to go back when I can talk to someone and perhaps try my card in it to see if I can see the differences in picture quality...thanks!
  • lendur2lendur2 Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2008
    xena0966 wrote:

Hey, Zena, good question. First, let's forget the D80. It is two years old. The D90 is soon to come out. Probably is good enough for you, but the D300 is better. Also good are others; recall one of the comments above about feeling of the body? (or was that a different thread?)--at any rate it belongs here. In my opinion you should not simply select by features or price. First *feel* it in your hands. Not just the outer form, but the buttons and such. You may wish for one of the new movable LCDs that some are beginning to sport. Since you will be shooting outdoors, have you given a thought to rain? Something sealed would be in order, and that includes the lenses.

My counsel is to shop for the lenses, though of course first see which bodies appeal to your hands. After that first winnowing, however, look for quality lenses. All pro-line lenses have lots of quality, but I was thinking of further sifting among that class of glass. In the end, it is the lens that will make your picture (not discounting the person behind the viewfinder), rather than the body. Note that I am thinking in terms of sale to a stock photo agency, and there are many. Find out more about their demands; currently 10 MP for most, but some are going even higher and certainly will later on. I don't know what to target as your final resolution needs; hopefully someone out there with such knowledge will supply the missing information.

Please don't just look at Canon or Nikon. They are almost icons in the photographic world. A few years ago that made sense, but today the rest are catching up at a phenomenal rate. After the wide lookaround, then if Canon-Nikon are your cup of tea, then wonderful. I have at different times owned SLRs from both companies, and I find both are superb cameras.

Frankly, all are pretty much par, even in lenses, which continue to gush from the assembly lines at an astonishing rate. Note that Photokina will be held this year (happens in September), and most assuredly new cameras and lenses will be showcased there.

I don't know how much it matters, but the stock agencies like minimums higher than is practical, or even than they actually would make use of. Learn that. You may wish to go full-frame for that reason. Someone with such greater familiarity please chime in. My info is secondhand, as I'm only an amateur and not trying to aspire so high. Canon's "L" series is legendary, and not without just cause.

Well, I'm being long-winded, so I'll bow out now.