Q: What DSLR compatible with Minolta Maxim 7000 glass?

Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
edited May 12, 2008 in Cameras
I have a friend who bought a Maxim 7000 and (she says) nice glass back around '95 and would like to convert to a DSLR.

Not being Minolta aware, I said I would have to post the question and see what we got.

So, are there any manufacturer(s) producing bodies compatible with this glass? If so, what are they?

Asking her what she wants to shoot ---> just my kid (now about 7), him in sports (soccer, Little League Ball, etc), and some scenery.
Budget ---> "A reasonable amount." I'm guess something less than $1,000USD would be nice. Less would be better :wink

Any help offered is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 12, 2008
    I have a friend who bought a Maxim 7000 and (she says) nice glass back around '95 and would like to convert to a DSLR.

Not being Minolta aware, I said I would have to post the question and see what we got.

So, are there any manufacturer(s) producing bodies compatible with this glass? If so, what are they?

Asking her what she wants to shoot ---> just my kid (now about 7), him in sports (soccer, Little League Ball, etc), and some scenery.
    Budget ---> "A reasonable amount." I'm guess something less than $1,000USD would be nice. Less would be better mwink.gif

Sony is producing dSLR cameras based upon the Minolta mount, i.e. the Alpha series cameras.

While it would be nice to be able old glass, it is rarely practical to do so.

The Minolta Maxxum 7000 (Dynax) was a fairly early autofocus camera and some of those early autofocus lenses were splendid, but many were consumer based and not (necessarily) worth basing a modern system upon.

If you can find out which lenses they currently own it would be easier to make a recommendation.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Thanks, Ziggy
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Sony is producing dSLR cameras based upon the Minolta mount, i.e. the Alpha series cameras.
    Thought so
    ziggy53 wrote:

While it would be nice to be able old glass, it is rarely practical to do so.

The Minolta Maxxum 7000 (Dynax) was a fairly early autofocus camera and some of those early autofocus lenses were splendid, but many were consumer based and not (necessarily) worth basing a modern system upon.

If you can find out which lenses they currently own it would be easier to make a recommendation.
    I tried and she's going to look tonight. I should have this information tomorrow - if all goes well.
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Yep, Sony = Minolta. AFAIK the mount never changed. Should help support the price of the old gear I have sitting around if I ever choose to sell it.
  • k2c1959k2c1959 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Yep, Sony = Minolta. AFAIK the mount never changed. Should help support the price of the old gear I have sitting around if I ever choose to sell it.

hey hey thats what im talkin bout, might want to let a little bit of that stuff slip thru the fingers...rolleyes1.gif
    Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away......

" I wasn't born in Oklahoma, but I got here as fast as I could! "

http://k2c-ridge.smugmug.com/
    Member NAPP
  • k2c1959k2c1959 Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008

Budget ---> "A reasonable amount." I'm guess something less than $1,000USD would be nice. Less would be better mwink.gif

here ya go its all right here...
    http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp
    Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away......

" I wasn't born in Oklahoma, but I got here as fast as I could! "

http://k2c-ridge.smugmug.com/
    Member NAPP
  • SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Tell you friend that she'll be quite happy with what Sony has done since picking up where Konica/Minolta left off. Their current Alpha body line is quite capable and Sony produces some of the best CCD sensors out there, just ask any Nikon user.
    ==> http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=3769

And their top of the line "flagship" A900 (FF 24mp) body should be finally out come by late fall. I have an A200 myself.

:D
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    If she is looking for something to just shoot the kiddies and such....have her give ebay a try for some gently used KM 7D's......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website