Snowflake

doharadohara Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited May 13, 2008 in Holy Macro
Snowflakes or snow crystals are not hard to find in Northern Minnesota, in fact, even in May, occational snow showers pass through the area.

This snowflake pictures was taken using a Canon 5D, 3 extension tubes and a 4X microscope objective. Once you catch an interesting snowflake on a microscope slide, you must quickly place it under the microscope setup.

All this work must be done in the cold, usually 15F or below in order to have the flake last long enough on the slide before it evaporates.

I'm hoping to use the same setup for photography of other stuff this summer.
260906843_2veBX-L.jpg

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    That's a beautiful catch. The symmetry is just amazing.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • ArgosArgos Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    dohara wrote:
    All this work must be done in the cold, usually 15F or below in order to have the flake last long enough on the slide before it evaporates.

Wow -- beautiful shot! Even then, it looks like the snowflake is already melting...
    Argos
    Lead dog at Old Dog Photography
  • Stormy1Stormy1 Registered Users Posts: 33 Big grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    That is very very cool, and sharp as well, I cant believe it didnt melt before you got the shot off though, lol very nice
    The things we take for granted today.Might be the Things we miss the most tomorrow
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    dohara wrote:
    Snowflakes or snow crystals are not hard to find in Northern Minnesota, in fact, even in May, occasional snow showers pass through the area.

This snowflake pictures was taken using a Canon 5D, 3 extension tubes and a 4X microscope objective. Once you catch an interesting snowflake on a microscope slide, you must quickly place it under the microscope setup.

I'm hoping to use the same setup for photography of other stuff this summer.

Oh my it looks like a crystal ornament, how pretty is that.

My first ever Christmas in USA I got to see enormous sized flakes fall from the sky like feathers, and I was able to clearly see the unique design and shape of the flakes as they lay on the railing on the deck.

I was in awe of such a wonderful sight, having never see it actually snow before I was so excited.

This single flake is just beautiful clap.gif nice isolation too.
    Well Done thumb.gif ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • matasamatasa Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Wooow - Great shot!clap.gif
    I can resist everything except temptation
  • teamracephotosteamracephotos Registered Users Posts: 492 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Simply Beautiful….
    Images of snowflakes amaze me. You did wonderful job capturing this one. Only nature could create something so perfect… and you captured it! MM
    “I love not man the less, but Nature more.”
    — Lord Byron
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    That is an incredible image! Very well done! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
  • JavaLoverJavaLover Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Wow! That is amazing!
    Canon 40D, stock lens and now a Canon 55mm-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
    tfarley.smugmug.com