Helicopter Tour lens??

cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
edited May 16, 2008 in Landscapes
I was going to ask the same question FlashPhotoBoy did, however I'm going to Maui instead of Yosemite. I'm assuming I'd get the same responses however I am shooting with a Digital Rebel xTI and for now just have the kit lens 18-55mm and a 70-300 IS lens. I'm considering renting a 3rd lens?? Also what lens do you suggest bringing on board a helicopter tour of the island? Thanks.

Stephanie

Comments

• TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    will you behind glass & doors or is it open sided?

my thoughts are IS is a must. 2.8 or better is a must....
    but, if it were me i would just take a p&s and point it at the people your flying with...like kids, or spouse...whatever....
    i would just enjoy the ride...
    Aaron Nelson
  • RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Which company are you flying with? If Blue Hawaiian they have an onboard camera, and you'll be able to purchase a DVD at the end of your trip. (worth the money imo)

We're just back from the Big Island and Maui. We took Blue Hawaiian's Circle of Fire tour on the BI. For equipment I had a Canon 40D, 17-55mm IS, 70-200mm L IS, and neither lens was exactly right for this adventure. Shooting from the helicopter was difficult between the glare on the glass, spray from the ocean, changing light, and movement. Not to mention all the obstacles inside the helicopter! Of course if you are flying on a doors off tour you'll be able to avoid some of those issues. If not, don't forget to wear something DARK!

Have fun, it was one of our favorite activities this trip.
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Thanks for the help. I am doing the Complete Island Tour of Maui with Blue Hawaiian (it is behind glass and doors) and am so excited. I'm glad to know you think the DVD is worth the money because I was considering getting it. It sounds like my beginner lenses aren't really going to do the scenery justice so I might just take a few pictures (with the 70-300 IS) and enjoy the ride. I'm flying solo (I won't know anyone else in the helicopter), my husband is afraid of heights and won't be going.

Stephanie
  • RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Hi Stephanie, Your husband should give it a try. I have a severe edge/height phobia, I can't even walk up/down steps with space between them. Dh and the teens were betting against me making it to take off Laughing.gif. Surprisingly I was absolutely fine, and the ride was much smoother than any of us anticipated.

My photos didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, so the dvd was definitely worth the money. If you don't get a window seat it might be difficult to get photos anyhow.

Have fun!
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • BlackwoodBlackwood Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    My only thought is that you'll probably be shooting through glass or plastic that may not be as clean as you'd like, so plan to shoot wide open.
  • Josh125Josh125 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Oddly enough I just got back from Maui and did a Blue Hawaiian tour with my XTi. I used my Tamron 28-75 for the flight. It isn't easy to get good pictures, I ended up with the below as an example for you.

The plexi is very thick and curved so expect distortion. I tried not to bury my eye in the camera and just enjoy the trip thumb.gif

294980434_Tdd76-L.jpg

Notice the nice reflection, ha!
    294987639_ZQe6K-L.jpg
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Josh - Thanks for posting the pictures!! I like your photos (4 weeks 6 days and counting!!). I would like to take just a few photos because I usually make a slide show of each vacation and I would love to include some from the helicopter tour because I'm sure this will be a big highlight. Otherwise I think I'm just going to relax.

Stephanie
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    and another thought...
    as expected your shots will not be that good from a heli through glass....

so rent a fisheye... take shots that would include the cockpit yourself and the surroundings....
    Aaron Nelson