seniors of another sort

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited May 13, 2008 in People
My in-laws are visiting from Alaska, so on Mother's Day, I snapped a few of them. This wasn't a planned thing, and it was the first time I used my 70-200 f/4L IS for shooting portait-like shots...I need more practice with compositions (among other things). Anyway, it's been awhile since I posted here, so I feel like a rookie!

I didn't do any cropping (except a little on 3) to allow different sizes for prints. I shot manual, f/4, ISO 400, 1/320 and natural light.

294152534_fAky6-L.jpg

293648508_otRQs-L-2.jpg

294008627_xyxqi-XL.jpg

294152975_bQAWf-XL.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Really nice. I love the dof that you were able to get with that longer lense!

I bet they'll love these!
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Aw, those are wonderful!! iloveyou.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Warm expressions and fabulous lens work. You got 'em Elaine!!!

Makes me want to get to know them.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    You did a wonderful job of bringing out a warm and inviting personality in your parents! Very well done. Like Jeff said, these photos make we want to get to know them a bit.

I'll be in the Anchorage area at the end of this week and who knows ....
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    number one is way too cute lol
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2008
    Really nice. I love the dof that you were able to get with that longer lense!

I bet they'll love these!

Thanks, Heather! My MIL thought they looked "old." I think they look youthful! Of course, she picks apart her hair, etc..., but I was just happy to capture these expressions. It didn't start out this way. They were pretty stiff and not looking like themselves. I asked them to face each other, so they did, and then they started cracking up when he said that they were so close they were going cross-eyed! They started giggling and I started clicking. My sister-in-law loves them and said she has never been able to capture that smile on her dad. Yay!
    Elaine

edited May 12, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Aw, those are wonderful!! iloveyou.gif

Thank you!
    Elaine

edited May 12, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Warm expressions and fabulous lens work. You got 'em Elaine!!!

Makes me want to get to know them.

Thanks, Jeff. They are wonderful people!
    Elaine

edited May 12, 2008
    You did a wonderful job of bringing out a warm and inviting personality in your parents! Very well done. Like Jeff said, these photos make we want to get to know them a bit.

I'll be in the Anchorage area at the end of this week and who knows ....

Thanks, Scott! Oh, lucky you! Have a wonderful time in Alaska. Can't wait to see your pics!
    Elaine

• joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Great shots. shows you don't have to be 21 to be beautiful. #1 is my favorite too. Also like the last one.
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Your parents are adorable!!!

I just love them all. What a fantastic set. They look so warm, funny, loving and young. I am impressed with your lighting....very even and a nice exposure difference between subject and (beautifully OOF) background. Don't you love your new telephoto???? Impressive results!!!

The first one really tugs at me. I just love your dad's impish grin. Agreed with others stating these photos make me want to get to know them. We can see where you get your good looks now, too. Your mom is stunning!iloveyou.gif
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited May 13, 2008
    urbanaries wrote:
    Your parents are adorable!!!

I just love them all. What a fantastic set. They look so warm, funny, loving and young. I am impressed with your lighting....very even and a nice exposure difference between subject and (beautifully OOF) background. Don't you love your new telephoto???? Impressive results!!!

The first one really tugs at me. I just love your dad's impish grin. Agreed with others stating these photos make me want to get to know them. We can see where you get your good looks now, too. Your mom is stunning!iloveyou.gif

Actually, these are my husband's parents, but I do agree that my MIL is beautiful, and looks terrific at 64! :D

I am enjoying the telephoto. I'm sure at some point I'll wish I had a 2.8, but for now, the f/4 is very enjoyable to use.

I don't think my FIL's grins like that have been captured before by the family, so these are keepers for sure.

Thanks for the nice comments, Lynne!
    Elaine

edited May 13, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Great shots. shows you don't have to be 21 to be beautiful. #1 is my favorite too. Also like the last one.

Thanks, Josh! Yep, they are in their 60s. I don't think my 34 yo skin is as nice as my MIL's at 64.
    Elaine