Options

Need advise on a media server OS

SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
edited May 13, 2008 in Digital Darkroom
I know this steps a bit outside of the digital darkroom world. But I need some expert advise. And I don't elong to any other forums. MODS: If it's inapropriate, feel free to nuke :D

So I'm setting up a media/FTP server for my entertainment system. And am looking for recommendations on an OS.

The server will provide FTP ability for file storage between my main work machine and latops when I'm mobile. *This will create a file repository so I am always accessing current files, no matter which machine I'm using.

After I have that set up. I'm going to set it up beside my living room TV so I can play all the .ISO's and .AVI etc. on the TV.

I'm not adverse to windows. But want to hear others opinions.

I already have the hardware aspect of it down. I'm just looking for advise on the OS.

Comments

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    So it's just to be a file server? In that case, if it were me, I'd run a Linux distro with Samba as that's what it's meant for. This also sidesteps the Win/Mac arguments. ;)
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2008
    So it's just to be a file server? In that case, if it were me, I'd run a Linux distro with Samba as that's what it's meant for. This also sidesteps the Win/Mac arguments. ;)
    Thanks CM. I think it's going to be a file server for now. But I'd like the option to set it upto be a media server in the future. I'm not sure if I want to have this server in my home office, or in my living room and intergrate it with the rest of the entertainment center. If that's the case, I'd need to have good video/audio cards. But I'm still trying to figure this out.

Right now, I'm leaning towards the leaving this box as a headless untit and jsut use the TV as a monitor when I need to use the GUI to fire up movies and watch them. I don't need a monitor for file access on any of my machines.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Linux should be good for your application. Out of the box most distros will work as a file server. Adding media server software is easy, and there are many choices out there depending on exactly what media needs you have, and what other software/hardware you need to connect to. Slimserver (now Squeezecenter, I think) run on Linux for devices it supports. There's a Firefly media server supports the iTunes protocol. MythTV is a cilent/server video app.

www.linuxmce.org is the site for a distro you might want to look at.
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2008
    jziegler wrote:
    Linux should be good for your application. Out of the box most distros will work as a file server. Adding media server software is easy, and there are many choices out there depending on exactly what media needs you have, and what other software/hardware you need to connect to. Slimserver (now Squeezecenter, I think) run on Linux for devices it supports. There's a Firefly media server supports the iTunes protocol. MythTV is a cilent/server video app.

www.linuxmce.org is the site for a distro you might want to look at.
    Thanks jziegler :D I'll check out that Distro.

EDIT:
    Drool... I just found my OS :P
  • Options
    jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Thanks jziegler :D I'll check out that Distro.

EDIT:
    Drool... I just found my OS :P

Yeah, looks pretty cool. I've never played with it, but have used some of the components and they're pretty good. Not bad for something that's free.