Options

Save photo doesn't include .jpg on some photos

sbresslersbressler Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
edited June 7, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Title says most of what I'm having an issue with-- when I (or visitors) click "Save Photo" while hovering over one of my photos, the photo that is downloaded does not include .jpg (and thus must be renamed to include .jpg). This is on almost all of the photos on my SM, but not all.

Here's an example where it does include .jpg: http://szb.smugmug.com/gallery/4100164_oyEgo#239017557_quQXH.

However, if you click through to the next photo, that does not include .jpg. Any ideas here?

Btw, almost every single other gallery of mine does not include .jpg when downloading, even galleries that were created before the one linked to above.

Thanks,
Scott

Comments

• Options
    chuckinsocalchuckinsocal Registered Users Posts: 932 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    WOW ... that's the same exact problem I've been having lately and the responses to my posts here have been hugely disappointing (thank you JFriend and Andy).

When I test the Save Photo link in my own galleries the file saves with no .jpg extension. Yet when I try it on other sites the file saves with the .jpg extension. A couple of people have tested the link on my site and say the file saves with the .jpg extension. Firefox gives me a choice to either save the file to disk or to open it with a viewer. If I choose to open it with a viewer, it opens just fine and the file name displayed includes the .jpg extension. It makes no sense but I don't feel quite as odd now that I see someone else is having the same problem.

It sounds to me that the Smuggler engineers need to try to replicate the problem and look for a fix.

Thanks for posting. Now I can cancel my appointment with the head shrink :whew.

Chuck Cannova
    www.customrideportraits.com
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

Artistically & Creatively Challenged
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    It looks like the .jpg isn't included if there are spaces in the file name. I'll have our 'bug' man take a look and send to the engineers.

IMG_7575.jpg
    NYC with Nadia.jpg

While 'we' are waiting on the out come, I would use underscores for now.
    NYC_with_Nadia.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2008
    I don't see a way to change the original file names in SmugMug. Did I miss it or do have to rename my photos locally then reupload? I suspect the latter and I'm just hoping to get lucky here.

Chuck Cannova
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options
    edited May 13, 2008
    Sure 'nuf, that was the problem! I renamed all the images in the galleries where I allow the Save Photo link and they all work fine now.

Thanks Rich ... I feel much better now.:ivar

Chuck Cannova
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options
    scwalterscwalter Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    richW wrote:
    It looks like the .jpg isn't included if there are spaces in the file name. I'll have our 'bug' man take a look and send to the engineers.

IMG_7575.jpg
    NYC with Nadia.jpg

While 'we' are waiting on the out come, I would use underscores for now.
    NYC_with_Nadia.jpg

FYI: The same bug happens for videos. I assume whatever fix is done will help with those as well.

-Scott
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    Sure 'nuf, that was the problem! I renamed all the images in the galleries where I allow the Save Photo link and they all work fine now.

Thanks Rich ... I feel much better now.:ivar

Chuck Cannova

How do you rename photos without reuploading?
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    I don't think you can. I renamed mine locally, re uploaded them, then deleted the old ones with the spaces in the file name. Then had to re caption and re keyword them and all that stuff.

A bit of a chore but luckily I had only about 20 photos to deal with.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    I don't think you can. I renamed mine locally, re uploaded them, then deleted the old ones with the spaces in the file name. Then had to re caption and re keyword them and all that stuff.

A bit of a chore but luckily I had only about 20 photos to deal with.

I have hundreds, so that's really not feasible. However, I just noticed that this is an issue with FF (I'm using 3b5), and IE (7) works fine. In fact, strangely, the filename the photos get saved with in IE is different from that in FF.

For instance, this photo without a space is the same in both FF and IE:
    http://szb.smugmug.com/gallery/4100164_oyEgo#239017557 saves as 239017557_IMG_7575.jpg

However, the next photo has the following filenames when saved in each browser:
    IE: 293723365_NYC_with_Nadia.jpg
    FF: 293723365_NYC
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    The FF vs IE thing explains why some people were reporting that they could download my images just fine.

I think the file name is being truncated at the first blank found by what ever software is causing the problem.

As for your volume, the only thing I can think of is if the gurus at SmugMug can do a batch rename internally from their end. It's a long shot but probably worth asking about.
    Chuck Cannova
    www.socalimages.com

• Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    As for your volume, the only thing I can think of is if the gurus at SmugMug can do a batch rename internally from their end. It's a long shot but probably worth asking about.

So SmugMug, what do you say to the batch rename idea?

And what is the status of fixing this going forward?

Thanks,
    Scott
  • Options
    edited June 3, 2008
    Any updates on when this fix will happen?

Thanks.
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 6, 2008
    scwalter wrote:
    Any updates on when this fix will happen?

Thanks.

bump. Anyone?
    Scott Walter Photography
    scwalter.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited June 7, 2008
    scwalter wrote:
    bump. Anyone?
    Looks like it's fixed now! Just tried saving one of the photos from a gallery that I mentioned in my first few posts and the spaces in the filename have been replaced with underscores and the extension of jpg appears at the end properly.