Canon 30D Remote Shutter?

purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
edited May 15, 2008 in Accessories
I'm touring four countries in Europe for 20 days in less than a month and need to order a Remote Shutter for my camera ASAP! I heard that the 30D didn't come with a wireless remote but I found something on Ebay that says otherwise. Is this legit? Do you know if it will really work with the 30D?

http://cgi.ebay.com/V2s-Wireless-Shutter-Remote-for-Canon-EOS-5D-40D-30D_W0QQitemZ300223463039QQcmdZViewItem

If not, can someone PLEASE help direct me to a remote shutter, even a wire one, that will definitely work? I've already bought one that was not compatable, even though the store clerk reassured me it was, and they wouldn't take a return. $50 gone to waste!! I don't have the time or money to buy something that doesn't work! Please and thank you! :)
Purified Photography
Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly

Comments

• Alex NailAlex Nail Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    It's not what you see, it's how you see it.
    http://www.alexnailphoto.com
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Alex Nail wrote:
    Yes, that will work, but the reach is limited. You might also want to get the extension cord from canon (link) though it is a bit pricey. You might also be able to find an alternative extension cord for a lower price but I don't have a source.

Another option is a DIY modification. The remote has three leads. You could:
    • Purchase parts from some place like Radio Shack:
      • Stereo male mini-jack
      • Stereo female mini-jack
      • Matching stereo extension cord
    • Cut the cord on the remote at about the 1/2 point
    • On one end, solder a female stereo mini-jack
    • On the other, solder a male stereo min-jack
    • Connect the extension cord
    • Done
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 13, 2008
    The V2s (in the ebay auction you linked) are well known, usually they work, but not always. I think gus has one, and says it works, but very reliant on a having a fresh battery.

If you don't need wireless, get ANY rs-80n3 clone (here). Cheap as chips, nothing to "not work" on them, no battery required. They come in all kinds of lengths. The one I have is at least 5m (15 feet) long. This is definitely one of those cases where you do not need the Canon original. There is nothing complex to wired remotes besides having the right connector plug.

What did you buy for $50 that didn't work? headscratch.gif

Sell it on the FM. :D

And have an awesome trip!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Search on ebay for "Phottix Wireless Remote C3" or the new version the C8. I ordered one last week from Hong Kong Supplies and I have heard great things from it, I can not wait to try it.

oh well, here is a link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=170215482437

2308570585_2c5df7cd1b_o.jpg
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    purified wrote:
    I'm touring four countries in Europe for 20 days in less than a month and need to order a Remote Shutter for my camera ASAP! I heard that the 30D didn't come with a wireless remote but I found something on Ebay that says otherwise. Is this legit? Do you know if it will really work with the 30D?

http://cgi.ebay.com/V2s-Wireless-Shutter-Remote-for-Canon-EOS-5D-40D-30D_W0QQitemZ300223463039QQcmdZViewItem

If not, can someone PLEASE help direct me to a remote shutter, even a wire one, that will definitely work? I've already bought one that was not compatable, even though the store clerk reassured me it was, and they wouldn't take a return. $50 gone to waste!! I don't have the time or money to buy something that doesn't work! Please and thank you! :)

Not sure what your compatability problem consisted of. But . . . if it connects but will not fire check to make sure that any battery/batteries in it are not still wrapped in a very thin plastic. Many anymore come wrapped in plastic to keep it from making contact but inside to save space during shipment from the mfg. plant.

Since they won't take it back it wouldn't hurt to check.

I do have a cheap E-bay one that is over a year old. The only thing I have found that I have to watch is that the on/off switch on the receiver does not get pressed in my bag and run the battery down. I have taken to removing the battery when not in use and storing all parts in a re-purposed plastic case.

If you could post a photo of the one that you already have that you have not gotten to work it might help the DIY'ers on this site suggest a mod that would get it to work.

Jane B.
  • purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Thank you for all the help and replies!

Jane, I will work on trying to find the one I bought and perhaps I could get some help on that. All I know is that the instructions weren't very descriptive and I had no idea if I was just doing something wrong, or if it was malfunctioned, or it simply was not compatible.

I will probably look into that very basic manual cord remote. I'm okay with cords as long as the cord is LONG! :)

I'll be back with more on the one I bought!
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly