40D Question...Picture Style pops up on and off

firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited May 14, 2008 in Cameras
Not sure if this is a question here...but I'm wondering if any other dgrinner has the same problem.

I have a 40D. It's not that old.....a couple months. I turn it on and the picture style menu always shows up first....showing.."standard", "faithful" and other picture styles. I hit "set" or shutter button and it goes away....but without pressing anything...it shows up again.

Sometimes it pops up when I am viewing pictures or in between taking pictures. I can't figure out why. I thought the styles button was stuck...but I'm not sure.

Should I update firmware? I can't actually isolate a time when it always happens. Should I just call canon and get a new camera? I got it from B&H...might they have some advice?

:dunno

It's not a big deal...but its is annoying. It seems like a firmware malfunction.

Comments

• NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    That's odd! It hasn't happened to me, but as you might know I had two 40D copies with major defects before my current one, which seems to be very nice. My impression is that the 40D is a little prone to oddness, but when it's good it's very good!

I've never dealt with B&H yet, but by all accounts they are a top retailer. Yes, I would immediately alert them to the problem. I feel sure they will give you helpful advice. I don't suggest you do any modification yourself including updating firmware. If it goes to Canon they will need the chance to assess what is causing the fault in the camera's original condition - but without the option of blaming user error ;).

Neil
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • OsirisPhotoOsirisPhoto Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    If you have Live View Mode disabled, and Custom Function IV-3 set to "change picture style" then that menu will appear whenever the 'set' button is pressed. It shouldn't pop up as soon as the camera is powered on though..

What is your firmware version? Latest is 1.0.8 - update it if it is an older version but I don't see anything in the issues lists about that behaviour. Sounds like it is most likely the picture styles button activating like you suggest.
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    If you have Live View Mode disabled, and Custom Function IV-3 set to "change picture style" then that menu will appear whenever the 'set' button is pressed. It shouldn't pop up as soon as the camera is powered on though..

What is your firmware version? Latest is 1.0.8 - update it if it is an older version but I don't see anything in the issues lists about that behaviour. Sounds like it is most likely the picture styles button activating like you suggest.

Canon emailed me back...they said I should remove the battery...and backup battery...clean the Lens contact.

Right now I have a tamron on there...wonder if that's the cause. I'll try it with a canon lens and see if I can't replicate the same problem.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Canon emailed me back...they said I should remove the battery...and backup battery...clean the Lens contact.

Right now I have a tamron on there...wonder if that's the cause. I'll try it with a canon lens and see if I can't replicate the same problem.

that is always a good strategy for canon: blame the lens maker. I think they teach people this in copy repair school: its the paper; you have bad paper!
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 13, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    that is always a good strategy for canon: blame the lens maker.

Where did they do that? headscratch.gif
    edited May 13, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    that is always a good strategy for canon: blame the lens maker. I think they teach people this in copy repair school: its the paper; you have bad paper!

This is what they said
    "Thank you for your inquiry. We value you as a Canon customer and
    appreciate the opportunity to assist you. We are sorry to hear of the
    difficulty you have experienced with the Picture Style menu in your EOS
    40D.

You may try updating the firmware to see if this has any affect on this
    issue.

If you are using a Canon lens, please remove the lens and clean the lens
    contacts with a pencil eraser. (Be careful that you do not let any
    debris fall into the camera body.)

We also suggest that you remove the battery pack and backup battery for
    15 minutes; ensure that the batteries are fully charged and reinstall
    them. If this issue persists, we suggest testing the camera with a
    different Canon lens. Should this persist with a different lens, then
    the camera body itself will need to be examined. We regret this
    inconvenience.

To ensure the highest quality of service, please forward your digital
    camera to the Factory Service Center shown below. When shipping your
    camera, please be sure to remove the CompactFlash card and battery.
    Please do not send any accessories or manuals when shipping the camera.
    Be sure to include your name, street address (no P.O. boxes, please),
    telephone number, and a letter describing the issue with the product.
    Since it has been less than one year since the camera was purchased, we
    ask that you also include proof of warranty in the form of a copy of
    your sales receipt.

As we do not provide RMA numbers for service, we suggest using a
    trackable and insurable service (i.e. UPS, Federal Express, Priority
    Mail) to ship your camera. Please package the camera very securely in a
    sturdy shipping box to prevent damage during shipment."
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    Right now I have a tamron on there...wonder if that's the cause.

I guess I misunderstood. I sometimes read these posts too quickly.
    edited May 14, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    I guess I misunderstood. I sometimes read these posts too quickly.

I think you are right....the Canon email clearly makes references to "canon" lenes...as if the tamron would possibly be the cause. I'm still a little confused how a contact on the lens would effect the styles menu..but whatever.

I tried my 2 canon lenses...50mm 1.8 and 70-200 2.8l IS. same menu.

I'm going to update firmware when I get back from San Diego this weekend...and if that doesn't do it...looks like I will be shipping to Canon.

Has anyone had experience with shipping to Canon. Is there a chance BH might just replace the camera since it's only a couple months old? Maybe I should call them and see.

Thanks for everyones input.
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    I think you are right....the Canon email clearly makes references to "canon" lenes...as if the tamron would possibly be the cause. I'm still a little confused how a contact on the lens would effect the styles menu..but whatever.

I tried my 2 canon lenses...50mm 1.8 and 70-200 2.8l IS. same menu.

I'm going to update firmware when I get back from San Diego this weekend...and if that doesn't do it...looks like I will be shipping to Canon.

Has anyone had experience with shipping to Canon. Is there a chance BH might just replace the camera since it's only a couple months old? Maybe I should call them and see.

Thanks for everyones input.
    I agree, sound to me like it's the camera body. It'll be interesting to hear if the firmware upgrade has any affect on the problem.

I would call them. What can it hurt? The worst that can happen is that they tell you that you're on your own.