First Volleyball Photos

mrobertsonmrobertson Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited June 29, 2008 in Sports
I'm relatively new to the phtography scene, having only bought my first DSLR this year, but i have always been interested in it so i want to capture some of the things that i love. Volleyball has been my sport for the passed 5 or 6 years, playing in the State league competition down in Victoria, Australia. So i thought now is the perfect time to start taking some shots of the volleyball since i'm out this year to overcome an ongoing injury.
Here are the first shots i took of my team this year. These are using the Nikon D80 with 50mm 1.8 lens. Dont think anyone would like me using the flash so i have to get by without it...

C&C welcome!

vball1jl5.jpg

vball3fs3.jpg

vball2ip2.jpg

vball4fd3.jpg
Michael from Melbourne :thumb

www.mjrphoto.com.au

Comments

• vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Michael,
    You Have some excellent shots there. It looks like the lighting is a lot better than I am used to. Wondering what settings you used and what white balance?
  • mrobertsonmrobertson Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    vt1122 wrote:
    Michael,
    You Have some excellent shots there. It looks like the lighting is a lot better than I am used to. Wondering what settings you used and what white balance?
    thanks david clap.gif

settings are:
    1st: 1/400 at F1.8, ISO 640
    2nd: 1/400 at F1.8, ISO 400
    3rd: 1/400 at F2.0, ISO 800
    4th: 1/500 at F1.8, ISO 1000

White balance set on auto for them all i think...
    The first 3 shots were in a new stadium, and there's a lot more light there. The last one was in the old stadium, which is connected.

I have a tournament this weekend that i'm going to, so i get plenty of action to practice with. Also a friend is letting me borrow his D3 and 70-200 lens so i'm sure i'll get some great shots :D

www.mjrphoto.com.au
  • sportshoundsportshound Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    re: First VBall Pics
    Good stuff for your first efforts and that is a lot more (and cleaner) lighting than we see at a lot of venues here in the US. I've been shooting my daughter's club games for a couple of years now and continue to learn more (mostly that it's hard to watch and enjoy the game and get good shots at the same time - hard to disconnect). I've included a few of mine and feel free to browse my SM site for more looks. I'm a bit behind in getting the latest processed and posted. I belong to #4, the Middle Blocker.

http://photoseal.smugmug.com/share/6WGaE3X3wTBoY

258499595_gJw7W-M.jpg

258501013_XmKFq-M.jpg

258500701_Fgjfr-M.jpg
    4401517_uaDvX#258499595_gJw7W

4401517_uaDvX#258501013_XmKFq

4401517_uaDvX#258500701_Fgjfr
    vt1122 wrote:
    Michael,
    Shootin' the kids (volleyball and baseball that is)!
    Nikon D3/D80, Nikkor 80-200/2.8, 28-70/2.8, SB800
  • JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Michael, These are very good for a first timer. If you are going to get serious about volleyball I suggest another lens or two. I shoot with the 85mm f1.4 and the 70-200mm f2.8. With the lighting it looks like you have in that gym you could probably get by with a 1.8. Its a lot cheaper. I shoot in dungeons where I am. I have to push the film speed up (6400) and try to get the shutter speed to at least 640 to stop the ball. I then use PS3 and Noise Ninja. I just shot this photo this last weekend:
    295771476_nXuqB-L.jpg
    The lights were bad. The reflection from the floor was red and the reflection from the walls was some greenish color. But you do what you have to do for the kids.
  • mrobertsonmrobertson Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    well i've been spoilt :P

using the D3 and the 70-200 was amazing :D

see the shots here: http://www.mjrphoto.com.au/Ballarat%20Volleyball%20Tournament

I've had heaps of orders which is exciting, and also got the job for the Junior National Tournament coming up in July... Woohoo!!!

time for some new equipment now though ;)

www.mjrphoto.com.au
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2008
    You have captured some great action, but your crops could be tighter and your horizons could be straighter. Some of your shots have have the ball in the picture, but it's so high the players look small. Unless there are some good tight facial expressions you could get out of the picture, I would lose those pics.

It's a learning process. I shot my first season of volleyball this year and I look back at the pics I took at the beginning and the ones at the end, and I go ugghh! when I look at the first ones again.
  • huntjaxhuntjax Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 29, 2008
    70-200 lens
    I have never shot V ball but Jr Olympics are in Dallas the beginning of july and I am going to shoot my friends daughter. I've shot other kids sports but all outdoors and my 70-300 if fine for that. I mostly use a Nikon D 80 and I'm considering getting a 70-200 The Sigma is half the price of Nikon. Does anyone have any thoughts about the lens? Either way wish me luck.
    Thanks
    www.huntjax.com