making volleyball matches easy to find

BarryCBarryC Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited May 14, 2008 in SmugMug Support
hi all

i photograph volleyball matches, and am new to smugmug
i want to make sure that visitors to my site (www.chaffemalcolm.smugmug.com) find matches involving their children/grandchildren/friends quickly and easily

i have organized my photos as follows:
category: volleyball
sub-category: description of tournament <NAME tournament of>e.g. Cdn Nationals 17U & 18U Men & Women May 2-4 2008 Ottawa ON
gallery: description of match <NAME of match>eg. May 13 2008 - 10:30AM - Court 12 - 18U Men - Red (Toronto ON) vs Blue (Vancouver BC)

when a visitor gets to my home page, i want them to use Search to find the galleries containing photos of their player's team

when i look at the results of a search, they seem to be divided into 3 sections:
1. Chaffe/Malcolm + Partners Inc.'s Keywords Matching ...<SEARCH text>
no idea what this means, what keywords is it searching? i assume keywords in the extra area in a gallery profile...but when i type keywords into the extra area in a gallery, the search still doesn't find them, so if i have the right keywords (as opposed to photo keywords, which i will get to in 3 below), how long does it take for the keywords to become visible to search?
2. Chaffe/Malcolm + Partners Inc.'s Galleries Matching ...<SEARCH text>
this result is based on the actual names of galleries, which given my descriptive gallery names should satisfy my needs perfectly, EXCEPT that it is taking way too long for the search engine to index the gallery names...i completed some galleries last friday evening and now on tuesday morning it still doesn't find them...this is a big deal for me, as visitors interest in photos drops significantly as time passes after a tournament
3. Chaffe/Malcolm + Partners Inc.'s Photos Matching ...<SEARCH text>
this result is based on keywords in individual photos, rather than in galleries (i know because i added a keyword to a photo and search immediately found that photo)...instant visibility is great, but finding all photos for a team is (i think, but am very open to being wrong) useless for me, because a visitor may find hundreds of photos for a team, and they will be a mix from multiple tournaments old and new, some of which the visitor may have seen on a previous visit

so, in summary, i think i need to set up such that search finds galleries rather than photos...does everyone agree?

and i need searches to yield results much sooner than 3+ days after i create and populate a gallery...can't figure out how to do that...can the search engine be forced to index my new galleries, or must i simply wait til it gets around to it? and will using keywords in the extra area of a gallery's profile help in any way?

i know my needs can't be all that unusual...how do smugmug veterans do this?

thanks for your thoughts
barry

Comments

• SPK64SPK64 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Not sure how far you are wanting to go with the searching and ease of use. I use photo keywords on everything. Then a custom drop down\search in each gallery. This allows quick searches for an individual player per game or season. I also have a find page but this does require knowing which keywords to search on.
    Forgot to mention photo keywords added with bulk edit or uploaded with the images show up almost immediately in the searches.

Here is what my site is based upon.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=58143
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=38113
  • coleygmcoleygm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Brilliant! Thanks for this