First Macro shots

IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
edited May 14, 2008 in Holy Macro
Got myself a Sigma 105 EX DG. These two shots were my very first shots with the lens. The bluebells are more close up than macro and the fly could be sharper and bigger but It's like having to learn all over again :)

294176103_TyErJ-O.jpg

294176007_AT7LS-O.jpg

Comments

• Paul IddonPaul Iddon Registered Users Posts: 5,129 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    OK Ian...

The light is a tiny bit strong on the fly, but its a good start. Shame he's facing up and away from the camera, but its not easy... They tend not to pose...

The bluebells are nice, but you need to watch out for things like that tiny hair on the flower head.... Hard to see until they are on the PC screen, but you can clone them out.

The f/stops might have been better the other way round for DoF. f/9 on the fly and f/4 on the flowers instead..

Hope to help you whenever m8.

Paul.

Link to my personal website: http://www.pauliddon.co.uk

• IPClarkIPClark Registered Users Posts: 2,355 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    Thanks mate. Appreciate the advice :)

I seem to be having trouble. I was using aperture priority and when selecting the higher F Stop, it was naturally causing the shutter speed to slow down causing blurring. Of course the same thing the opposite way with regards to the DoF but I'll get there :).

Just got it so BIG learning to do :)
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    IPClark wrote:
    Got myself a Sigma 105 EX DG. These two shots were my very first shots with the lens. The bluebells are more close up than macro and the fly could be sharper and bigger but It's like having to learn all over again :)

Ahhhhhh a new toy hu Ian, well congratulations thumb.gif
    I see your centering everything, a habit hard to break, but you need to break it.....

Composition is important, you will get better at this the more you do it.
    You have nice Bokeh with the Sigma, shows nicely on the Blue Bell shot.

Colour looks good, sharpness is better on the flowers than the fly.

All up you did a very good job Ian clap.gif well done! ... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited May 13, 2008
    Thank you Skippy. I'll be honest. I was struggling like crazy to keep the darn fly in focus :). Using the 105 I found that, move a millimeter, it seems like you move a mile. :)

I have to admit there was no thought to composition on the fly, I just wanted to get the shot..hah.

Thank you very much for your comments though. Very much appreciated.

I'm sure I'll have some questions for you soon (if I can't find the answers in the various help guides there are :))
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Good start with the new lens :)

Brian V,
    edited May 14, 2008