Options

Church built in 1864

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited May 20, 2008 in Journeys
I took a trip last week to Rockford, Minnesota. I know isn't a very far journey from where I live, but it does have a church there that my aunt belongs to and it was built in 1864 with pegs and not nails. They have since done some remodeling, but kept alot of what was original. Lucky for me I had the church to myself for a couple hours to take photos. And with the help from dgrinner "Jim" I was able to take some photos in a very small church with little light. Hope you enjoy them.

Any input is always welcome as I'm so new to this.

Welcome to First Presbyterian Church in Rockford, Minnesota.

This is the church cross. It's made of copper and wood. The copper cross came from the Methodist Church and the wooden cross was made by a member of the First Presbyterian Church. The Methodist Evangelical Church and Presbyterian Church merged in 1968.

294828600_gtbbf-L-1.jpg

The pews are made of Butternut and Oak wood that was from around the area. They were hand hewn and swing on iron. The backs of the pews swing to face the rear of the church for meetings and then to the front for church. Pews are all numbered.

294827244_8Ztsh-L.jpg

Here is a closer view of the iron hinges.

294827888_gUQmd-L.jpg

This is one of the original Chandeliers. I had to lay with my camera on my face using it as a tripod to take this photo :D I didn't want the metal rods holding up the walls to show in the photo. It once was run as kerosene lamps.

294825305_vQ58w-L.jpg

The chair up front is a handcarved original. Yes...here is the metal rod running through the photo, but that keeps the walls up :D I didn't want to edit it out. Think I should have?

294825847_QwuPK-L.jpg

They used a Klingel Beutel (Bell Bag) for collection of money. Also shown is an original peg.

294823180_bGLLr-L.jpg

Original organ still sits in the church. Its a very small two pedal organ.

294826528_xELG2-L.jpg

Original Pulpit Bible. It was heavy, worn and full of photos.

294823974_wyRZV-L.jpg

Outside the church is an arrow stuck in the wall. Guess it showed up there a couple years ago. Something I'd never seen before so I had to take a photo of it.

294824551_RFzpq-L.jpg

Hope you enjoyed these. The rest are on my site if your interested in taking a peek. Again...if you have any input to help me out I will be returning here again in July.

Comments

• Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Amazing photographs !

Light is great.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    Amazing photographs !

Light is great.

Thank you Awais.....I'm glad you enjoyed them.
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Really lovely light. I like them a lot. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Reversible pews, very creative. Beautiful lighting.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2008
    Thank you all for taking a look and leaving a comment :D

I think what really helped with the lighting was the frosted windows. Not many windows...if I remember correctly there were only 4, but could of been six. And they were so narrow and small.
  • Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    I really enjoyed these.
    Jaye
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2008
    jayegirl wrote:
    I really enjoyed these.

I'm glad you enjoyed the photos.

Its a journey that was different then what is usually posted here, but I thought I would give it a try to see if people were intersted in it.
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    WOW! thumb.gif Great shots Mary, I'll be moving on to the website to view more of them tonight after work.

So, you'll have to pass on the torch for the extra light. I'll be needing it next week!
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2008
    DJT wrote:
    WOW! thumb.gif Great shots Mary, I'll be moving on to the website to view more of them tonight after work.

So, you'll have to pass on the torch for the extra light. I'll be needing it next week!

Glad you liked them :D

Are you leaving next week?
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Glad you liked them :D

Are you leaving next week?

Yep, this time next week, I'll be in LAX or somewhere over the ocean. The times have me all messed up.

Leave at 6am (Indiana) arrive at Chicago at 5:58am headscratch.gif

Leave Chicago at 8am arrive at LAX at 10am

Leave LAX at 12 or 1am arrive at HCMC, Vietnam on May 23, 10pm eek7.gif

Coming home will be the worse. Leave HCMC at 7am on the 30th - arrive Ft Wayne at 11pm on the 30th. A 30hour day. :snore
  • Options
    jsmileyjsmiley Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Mary

Amazing photographs they tell a story from the beginning to now very very nice.
    iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2008
    jsmiley wrote:
    Mary

Amazing photographs they tell a story from the beginning to now very very nice.
    iloveyou.gif

Thank you John :D

I'd always heard about the old church's with pews that turned to the back of the church. Just had never seen one till now. Kinda makes one sit and reflect on how things were back then...proper protocol and traditions. I was happy to see that the church still uses them and didn't go for new when they did some remodeling.
  • Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Dogdots wrote:
    Thank you John :D

I'd always heard about the old church's with pews that turned to the back of the church. Just had never seen one till now. Kinda makes one sit and reflect on how things were back then...proper protocol and traditions. I was happy to see that the church still uses them and didn't go for new when they did some remodeling.

Afternoon MK,
    It is nice to know that some things remain the same over the years and do not change just because the times do. A very nice retro look at years gone by. Great pics, as usual thumb.gif
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Some very nice work! I frequently shoot church photos, so I really enjoyed these. Thanks for sharing.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2008
    Redleash....I'm looking forward to seeing some of your church photos :D

And Jim...I couldn't have done this without your help clap.gif Again....many thank-you's.

Thank you both for your nice comments.
  • Options
    summerzsummerz Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2008
    Wow nice pics indeed.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2008
    summerz wrote:
    Wow nice pics indeed.thumb.gif

Thank you -- I'm glad you enjoyed them :D