Which lens? Canon 35mm 1.4L or 70-200 2.8L??

NewCreation517NewCreation517 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited May 16, 2008 in Cameras
Hello all!

So I'm at the point where I'm ready to drop some serious pretty cash on glass ...

90% of the time I shoot indoor rock n roll photos, but I'm interested in getting into portraits and what not as well. I'll also be picking up a few wedding this summer. Currently I'm shooting with a 40D.

So now comes a question ... which lens will give me more bang for my buck? Obvious the 70-200 is more versatile and comes sweetened with IS, but the 35mm has that nice bigger ap for really low light, not to mention about ~$500 cheaper...

Any recommendations?
Not there yet, but I've passed the start ...

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 13, 2008
    You mentioned that you will be shooting weddings, I presume for pay. Neither of these lenses are primary choices for wedding venues. Do you already have lenses for that purpose?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2008
    the choices seem odd: like a carpenter asking, "should I buy a hammer or saw?" Well, all depends on whether you need to cut something or hit something.

I have another thread going with some really good advice on wedding glass. you might look at that. One medium lense that percolates to the top is the 24 - 105 f/4 IS. or, 25 - 70 f/2.8
  • NewCreation517NewCreation517 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    hmm strange, I guess I assumed the lenses were similar in the fact that they are both great for close-up low-light situations. It would seem I am barking up the wrong tree, however!

And sadly, no the weddings are just for friends and family. Eventually I'd like to do weddings for pay, but would like to be sharpened on my capabilities and equipment before I feel justified in doing so.
    Not there yet, but I've passed the start ...
    hmm strange, I guess I assumed the lenses were similar in the fact that they are both great for close-up low-light situations. It would seem I am barking up the wrong tree, however!

And sadly, no the weddings are just for friends and family. Eventually I'd like to do weddings for pay, but would like to be sharpened on my capabilities and equipment before I feel justified in doing so.

No, they are not very similar at all.

For your indoor rock-and-roll venues, if you are close to the stage and the band, the 35mm might be very nice but the perspective might be a little odd.

Many people would choose something a bit more towards a moderate telephoto to get more intimate with the individuals. Check out Andy's "Sting" and "Joss Stone" images:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=11413

For wedding stuff I really think the Canon 17-55mm, f2.8 IS USM is just about ideal on a crop 1.6x camera and most situations. Lighting is just as important for much of a wedding except the ceremony itself where you need to locate yourself for both ambient light and composition.

For portraiture you might want the moderate telephoto again for head shots and head-and-shoulders. For 3/4 and full length I suggest the EF 50mm, f1.4 and a little more distance. The EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM (with or without IS) can often do pretty well if you have the room to shoot, and that includes space behind the subject(s) to allow the shadows to drop and the background to soften.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • LovesongLovesong Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    For portraiture you might want the moderate telephoto again for head shots and head-and-shoulders. For 3/4 and full length I suggest the EF 50mm, f1.4 and a little more distance. The EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM (with or without IS) can often do pretty well if you have the room to shoot, and that includes space behind the subject(s) to allow the shadows to drop and the background to soften.
    15524779-Ti.gif

The 50 f/1.4 on a cropped sensor is about 80mm on a 35mm, which means that it's a great portrait lens.

The 70-200 is a bit long to be of any use for what your needs are (it's the equivalent of 112-320mm in 35mm terms (which translates to a long portrait lens to a good sporting/wildlife lens).

Ziggy suggested the 17-55 f/2.8, which is an excellent lens on a 40D, giving you the option to go from wide to just beyond normal. I would try renting that and see whether it fits your needs.

My most used lens is the 24-70L on a 5D, but as of recently I have become somewhat of a prime snob, so I'll be spending dough on a 24L, 35L, 50L (if and when they come out with the MkII- I already have the 1.4, as well as a Sigma macro) and an 85L. :hang
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Maybe you should read this guide to concert photography: (includes lens choices)
    http://photo.net/learn/concerts/mirarchi/concer_i

Sooner or later you will end up with f2.8 zooms 24-70mm,70-200 and
    some fast primes (50mm, 100mm) for backup and ultra low light
    concerts. I think you can use any lens to also shoot portraits.

When I started shooing concerts I only had a Tamron 28-75mm/2.8 and I am
    convinced that the versatility of a fast zoom cannot be beat in a concert
    where the crowd will be dancing (behind you) and all kinds of things will
    stand in your way. Sometimes I'm close sometimes not. I now own
    the 70-200mm/2.8 L and it is too long for the concerts I shoot and 2nd it
    is too slow without IS because one still needs to compensate the camera
    shake.

My advice to you is to buy a short zoom + two primes over a 70-200 2.8
    or buy two (24/1.4 or 35/1.4 + 100/2.0 or 135/2.0L) or three primes if
    you need the extra speed. (like the 28/1.8, 50/1.4 and 100/2.0). Any
    combination will give you lenses that are superb for phortraits and available
    light events or weddings.

Good luck finding your setup thumb.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston