20D Infrared Modification

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited May 15, 2008 in Cameras
I know there are several companies that do the mods but can someone tell me who they prefer and why?

Thanks

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    I had my Canon G6 done by LifePixel. Maxmax is another vendor that does IR modification, but they don't handle G6. Maxmax's turn-around time seems to be a lot faster than LifePixel. I'm sure you'd be happy with either vendor.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    I had my 20D modified by MaxMax and was/am quite happy with the results. Turn around was quite good - I think I got mine back from them a little over a week after I sent it to them.

They offer two different IR mods, a 715nm and 830nm.

Quoted from MaxMax.com:
    With an 830nm conversion, you will lose about 2 F-Stops or have a slower shutter speed. Notice on the examples below, holding F-Stop constant at F8.0, shutter speed went from 1/500 to 1/125 when we went from 715nm to 830nm. The advantage of a 830nm filter is that the red, green and blue channels are more evenly exposed than at 715nm. The red channel more open on a 715nm than on a 830nm conversion. When you more evenly expose the RGB channels, the camera can resolve better. Also, the infrared effect is more dramatic at 830nm versus 715nm - skies are darker and clouds whiter. The most popular conversion is the 715nm, but the 830nm conversions are increasing in popularity.
    One thing that is not immediately obvious from this is that if you want to be able to render false-colored IR photos, you must go with the 715nm modification. The 830nm, because all three channels are "more evenly exposed" means that you are going to get an image that can only be rendered in B&W (or duo-tone of course).

As to why I went with them - well, because I had an opportunity to use a MaxMax converted (715nm) camera when I was at the Glacier Shootout and I was impressed. And because I was impressed with their customer support when I called and emailed them before actually sending in the camera and again after they had received the camera - very responsive.

I got the 830nm and am quite happy with the results. Here are a couple of samples:

255474599_TV4ur-L.jpg

267443460_Eum43-L.jpg

267442991_acLca-L.jpg
  • doharadohara Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    I had my 20D converted by Lifepixel--very satisfied.
    279657094_drMH8-L.jpg
    edited May 14, 2008
    dohara wrote:
    I had my 20D converted by Lifepixel--very satisfied.
    279657094_drMH8-S.jpg
    That is an awesome photoclap.gifbow
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    excellent! thanks for all the replies. this will surely give me a direction :D
    edited May 15, 2008
    excellent! thanks for all the replies. this will surely give me a direction :D
    Well, when you decide, let us know what direction you've taken. And, even more importantly, let us know how it went!

Oh, and photos, when you get your camera back, would be nicemwink.gif
  • robscomputerrobscomputer Registered Users Posts: 326 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    How much is the average conversion? I have a 10D I would like to consider turing IR.
    Enjoying photography since 1980.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 15, 2008
    How much is the average conversion? I have a 10D I would like to consider turing IR.

I believe MaxMax conversion for most dSLRs is $450USD.

I believe Life Pixel conversion for the Canon 10D is $400USD.

Both companies may have options which would increase the price somewhat to get what you want.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums