trying to understand how to use search properly

BarryCBarryC Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited May 14, 2008 in SmugMug Support
hi all,

am new to smugmug, and may be way off base
but at this point search seems both essential and potentially very frustrating to use
perhaps i am using it incorrectly?

Scenario
1. customer visits my home page
2. customer executes a search
3. it seems that smugmug staff strongly recommend that i use image keywords, so assume i do, and assume that the search finds 100 images
4. customer clicks on the first image, is taken to the corresponding gallery

at this point, all is still well, but i anticipate either of two problems arising for this customer

problem 1 - the customer ends up browsing the entire gallery, in which case they can't easily get back to their search results...meaning they have to reexecute the search...if they reexecute it from the wrong page, they may get different results...even if they reexecute it from my home page, will they remember which images they have clicked on and which they haven't?

problem 2 - the customer clicks the back key in their browser, returning to the search results, and then clicks on the 2nd image...this gets to be a problem after a few dozen images, again because the customer must remember which images they have clicked on and which they haven't

so, am i missing something here? if so, i apologize for wasting everyone's time and humbly request that someone enlighten me, preferably using small words :)

and if i am not missing something, i'd like to propose either of two fixes, one a major software project and the other very minor

minor fix - when the customer clicks on an image in the search results, change the color of the box around that image, so that when they return to that screen vis their browser's back button, they can see which images they have clicked and which they haven't

major fix - same as above, but also keep the search results open in a separate window after the customer clicks on an image, so the results are retained until the customer closes the search results window

thanks,
barry

Comments

• SPK64SPK64 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    BarryC wrote:
    hi all,

major fix - same as above, but also keep the search results open in a separate window after the customer clicks on an image, so the results are retained until the customer closes the search results window

thanks,
    barry

General Search

Firefox-> Tabbed Browsing -> Middle Click
    Works great in these situations.

IE7 does the same thing but I prefer Firefox....

One more thought related to the search. Is it just a Keyword search or the global search?

Keyword Search
    Keyword searches take you to a Smugmug Style Layout where each photo can be viewed.