Woohoo! Right click protection for Power users!

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited May 17, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Thanks smugmug!
I was customizing a gallery and noticed the option to turn on right-click protection...and I'm 'just' a Power user!
Greatly appreciate you adding this to non-Pro accounts.
Thanks again,
E

Comments

• BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 14, 2008
    eoren1 wrote:
    Thanks smugmug!
    I was customizing a gallery and noticed the option to turn on right-click protection...and I'm 'just' a Power user!
    Greatly appreciate you adding this to non-Pro accounts.
    Thanks again,
    E

Hi :)

Glad you noticed, and you're welcome :D

You can always check out new stuff by keeping an eye on our release notes here:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/release-notes/2008/04/25/april-25-2008-better-embeddable-video/
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    And I sure do hate to rain on your parade, but right-click protection really doesn't "protect" anything. You're better off (in my experience anyway) using a watermark. People will still grab your pics-- "protected" or not-- and at least with a watermark you're getting some credit. And done properly, a watermark can take hours and substantial skill to remove. Right-click "protection" takes, oh, less than a second to bypass.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 15, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    And I sure do hate to rain on your parade, but right-click protection really doesn't "protect" anything. You're better off (in my experience anyway) using a watermark. People will still grab your pics-- "protected" or not-- and at least with a watermark you're getting some credit. And done properly, a watermark can take hours and substantial skill to remove. Right-click "protection" takes, oh, less than a second to bypass.

+100000000000000 thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    dogwood wrote:

Weyll...

I still think there's some value in right-click protection, since it takes more than a few seconds to bypass in Internet Explorer and for better or worse, IE still holds anywhere from 60-90% browser share, depending on who you ask:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers

For all of us geeks using Firefox or other browsers, sure, right-click is no barrier. But to the vast majority of the photo browsing public, I suspect it's enough to stop, or at least curb the casual image-stealer.
  • devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 15, 2008
    darryl wrote:
    since it takes more than a few seconds to bypass in Internet Explore

umm, you sure about that ?

javascript:void(document.oncontextmenu=null)
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
    edited May 16, 2008
    devbobo wrote:
    umm, you sure about that ?

javascript:void(document.oncontextmenu=null)

Or-- hit the print screen button then ctrl-v in ps. You could also simply shoot a photo of the screen.

• SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 16, 2008
    dogwood wrote:

This isn't quite true. While it is indeed quite easy to bypass for some people, I would bet that it foils the majority of internet users. You might be surprised by how few people know what the print screen button does.
    SmugMug Product Manager
    edited May 16, 2008
    Sheaf wrote:
    You might be surprised by how few people know what the print screen button does.

I respectfully disagree. Show me someone under 30 who doesn't know how to bypass a right-click "protection" feature and you might be able to convince me. But I see it all the time-- my latest portfolio is flash based and I recently sent a link to a 20-year-old model and within two or three minutes she had grabbed one of the images and had it posted on her MM site.

Most of my clients are in their teens or 20's and it's rare I find someone who doesn't know how to grab any image-- no matter the "protection"-- off the web to use on their myspace or MM site.

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    -- no matter the "protection"--
    full-x watermark, Doggie thumb.gif
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 16, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    I respectfully disagree. Show me someone under 30 who doesn't know how to bypass a right-click "protection" feature and you might be able to convince me. But I see it all the time-- my latest portfolio is flash based and I recently sent a link to a 20-year-old model and within two or three minutes she had grabbed one of the images and had it posted on her MM site.

Most of my clients are in their teens or 20's and it's rare I find someone who doesn't know how to grab any image-- no matter the "protection"-- off the web to use on their myspace or MM site.

Perhaps not specifically your clients, but we hear quite frequently from people who don't know how to do it. Believe it or not, we receive many emails from people complaining that they can't right-click to save a photo on SmugMug and want to know how to get rid around it.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • stuartbstuartb Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    In Firefox . . right click on page - 'view page info' - media tab - voila! Images all nicely listed complete with previews and direct urls.
    Right click protection is like sticking a dummy security alarm box on your gable. Its not 'protection' in any real sense.
  • TxTortoiseTxTortoise Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    robot/hack.msg links?
    But even with a watermark I'm seeing these,

http://www.ralphmawyerphotography.com/hack/feed.mg?Type=nicknameRecentPhotos&Data=RalphMawyer&format=rss200

but I guess the robot is just grabbing the thumbnails, which I don't watermark, right?
    edited May 16, 2008
    Sheaf wrote:
    Perhaps not specifically your clients, but we hear quite frequently from people who don't know how to do it. Believe it or not, we receive many emails from people complaining that they can't right-click to save a photo on SmugMug and want to know how to get rid around it.

Okay, that makes sense. I've gotten those emails too-- but I swear it's always from clients older than about 30 years old. The younger folks seem to already know all the work arounds.

• darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    stuartb wrote:
    In Firefox . . right click on page - 'view page info' - media tab - voila! Images all nicely listed complete with previews and direct urls.
    Right click protection is like sticking a dummy security alarm box on your gable. Its not 'protection' in any real sense.

Hey thanks. I'm over 30 and now I know how to steal images! Woot! :-}

(Seriously, after I posted, I spent all of 3 minutes in Firefox trying to figure out how to get the image and FAILed. Of course there's always the brute-force screencap method, but that's such a hack. :-)

--Darryl
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    Thanks, smugmug, for doing this as well as the custom domain names!

A question on right-click protection. I can't right click even when logged in. Any way for me to bypass it while logged in but still have it turned on?
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    JenW wrote:
    Thanks, smugmug, for doing this as well as the custom domain names!

A question on right-click protection. I can't right click even when logged in. Any way for me to bypass it while logged in but still have it turned on?
    No, I'm sorry about that :(