WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
edited May 17, 2008 in Sports
294323188_zxSao-L.jpg
294317452_6eHsv-L.jpg
283110253_uxw94-L.jpg
283110430_XVZsY-L.jpg
294210007_TBPzu-L.jpg
294220343_xsTqp-L.jpg

This girl is 6'1" tall and throws as fast as college girls !!!!

294221396_uQQGF-L.jpg

294220627_W6tfz-L.jpg

294210264_GPr3b-L.jpg

All shot with D300 , 70-200/2.8vr or 300/2.8vr .

Any comments/suggestions welcome !!!

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    really nice shots Wally.thumb.gif I like them all, except for maybe #5 where the focus caught the ump and not the base runner or base(wo)man. As good as the action is, I would have left that one on the proverbial floor of the editing room ne_nau.gif

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Nice ball on bat on the first one.
  • WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2008
    Laughing.gif ..
    That was the idea , waiting for the call from the ump !!!!mwink.gifmwink.gif
    Frog Lady wrote:
    really nice shots Wally.thumb.gif I like them all, except for maybe #5 where the focus caught the ump and not the base runner or base(wo)man. As good as the action is, I would have left that one on the proverbial floor of the editing room ne_nau.gif

cheers,

C.
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    WildWally wrote:
    Laughing.gif ..

looks to me like I can see the ball in the baseman's glove, so what was the ump waiting for? :D

but again, I do really like the others!
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • RaceJunkieRaceJunkie Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 15, 2008
    Great shots thumb.gif
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    WildWally wrote:
    Laughing.gif ..
    Out of focus photos are tough like that, you really need to have impact on the image for it to work. In this case because of the distraction in the background, the ump sort of involved in the action, it really just looks like an Out of focus photo to me. I hate that when its peak action and you have to leave it on the cutting room floor.

Otherwise great captures. You got peak action, great colors, most of them dont have distracting backgrounds (minus the out of focus photo and the last one with the chair in the background).

My favorites are the first one (bat on ball) and the one with the play at the bag (the fourth one).

I will share one of my favorite places to shoot softball with you (shhh dont tell the others) if you can get right behind home plate. Usually if its chain link fencing you can shoot between the holes ( I get right on the fence) with no problems, then you get great action shots with the pitcher throwing right at you, and you can get some interesting out of focus photos too.
    102756383_9JKnR-M-1.jpg

102832898_Nq7YA-M-1.jpg
    Danielle Henderson (and her retired number out of fouce behind her)
    21675538_qvQXK-M-2.jpg
    The reason this one isnt super sharp, is UMass has plexi right behind the pitcher, and it was dirty. The next season they removed it, but if you shoot the same perspective from through a fence, the pitcher would be nice and sharp (which now that I had to hunt for this photo I remeber why it isnt in my portfolio...sometimes it is hard to let certain photos go).

Hope this was helpful!
  • WildWallyWildWally Registered Users Posts: 494 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    Thanks for your comments / suggestions .
    I do shoot behind the backstop , but it is harder to follow the action without your camera focusing on the links of the fence .
    The focus was on the ump/pitcher on the photo you stated was OOF , so focus was correct . Was trying my hand on a different approach , and personally , I like it , and so do the parents mwink.gif
    I really like your third shot you posted , and if the balkl was in focus also , it would have been perfect !!!!!!

Until I get the chance to shoot College , I will have to find ways of eliminating the distracting BG's !!!!!

It is a long season , and 1 in which I am learnig what works best , and hearing comments from others is part of that learning experience .
    winger wrote:
    Out of focus photos are tough like that, you really need to have impact on the image for it to work. In this case because of the distraction in the background, the ump sort of involved in the action, it really just looks like an Out of focus photo to me. I hate that when its peak action and you have to leave it on the cutting room floor.

Otherwise great captures. You got peak action, great colors, most of them dont have distracting backgrounds (minus the out of focus photo and the last one with the chair in the background).

My favorites are the first one (bat on ball) and the one with the play at the bag (the fourth one).

I will share one of my favorite places to shoot softball with you (shhh dont tell the others) if you can get right behind home plate. Usually if its chain link fencing you can shoot between the holes ( I get right on the fence) with no problems, then you get great action shots with the pitcher throwing right at you, and you can get some interesting out of focus photos too.
    102756383_9JKnR-M-1.jpg

102832898_Nq7YA-M-1.jpg
    Danielle Henderson (and her retired number out of fouce behind her)
    21675538_qvQXK-M-2.jpg
    The reason this one isnt super sharp, is UMass has plexi right behind the pitcher, and it was dirty. The next season they removed it, but if you shoot the same perspective from through a fence, the pitcher would be nice and sharp (which now that I had to hunt for this photo I remeber why it isnt in my portfolio...sometimes it is hard to let certain photos go).

Hope this was helpful!
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    lots more competition in these shots thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/