CH 36 - First Timer, Thoughts please

JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
edited April 13, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, I decided to try this one as my first DGrin Challenge, But it seems I have a problem, I went out and shot afew last night for it, but I can't decide what I like best, help me out here. For those that care the statue is the late Senetor Strom Thurmond, and the Grave Yard is the one his grave is in, in fact his grave is directly inline with the lighted stone in the first pic.

This was my first try at it, Kinda what I had in mind, light one up to show it yet still give the overall feel.
19120310-M.jpg

I like this one but the ambiant light came out more like sunset.
19120425-M.jpg

this one I wanted to draw attention to the stone in the back, but it seems to small.
19120538-M.jpg

This one I used the flashlight to get detail on his face.
19120794-M.jpg

They can all be found here.
http://pics.jamesjweg.com/gallery/471302

James.

Comments

• Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    Welcome to the Challenge James, I can't see the photos cause our web server at work blocks personal storage sites, otherwise I give you some feedback, but I'll check em later tonight at home. Just wanted to welcome you to board :D

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2005
    The second one is awesome, the color is so rich and the white light reflecting off of the grave stone actually makes it look like it's glowing because nothing else is reflecting that much light. It sets of the color of everything else even more. I really like the ambient light in it as well. Great shot thumb.gif

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • melmel Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2005
    [/QUOTE]I like this one but the ambiant light came out more like sunset.
    James.[/QUOTE]

I think the ambient light really works for this shot. I felt more "creepy cemetery at night" than "sunset".
    Good post!
    ~mel
  • aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited April 9, 2005
    Welcome to dgrin! You have some very cool posts there. I think I like the cemetery the best. The one headstone lit up surounded by darkness gives it a very mysterious feel. Keep the pics coming! thumb.gif
  • thegreeneggthegreenegg Registered Users Posts: 551 Major grins
    edited April 10, 2005
    I like the ambiant light one. I think it gives an atmosphere that is really special to the picture. I think it looks holy.
    I really like these photos. Good job.
    Ashley
    Green is the way to be!
    ashleyharding.smugmug.com
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    Well, I decided to try this one as my first DGrin Challenge, But it seems I have a problem, I went out and shot afew last night for it, but I can't decide what I like best, help me out here. For those that care the statue is the late Senetor Strom Thurmond, and the Grave Yard is the one his grave is in, in fact his grave is directly inline with the lighted stone in the first pic.

This was my first try at it, Kinda what I had in mind, light one up to show it yet still give the overall feel.
    19120310-M.jpg

I like this one but the ambiant light came out more like sunset.
    19120425-M.jpg

this one I wanted to draw attention to the stone in the back, but it seems to small.
    19120538-M.jpg

This one I used the flashlight to get detail on his face.
    19120794-M.jpg

They can all be found here.
    http://pics.jamesjweg.com/gallery/471302

James.
    Hi, james
    I like the second pic the best but the first one is good also.
    Welcome to the site and enter in all the contest you can .
    It will help you learn and become a better photographer.

Take Care,
    Chuck,
    Marshall, NC
    USA Photography: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/usa_photography
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • KimballPhotographyKimballPhotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited April 13, 2005
    I really like #2!! Agree with above poster, do as many as you can! I'm trying but not sure what in the heck I'm doing in this challengene_nau.gif
    Natalie:thumb

A single photograph can tell an entire story and bring back a multitude of memories.