Moving Forward....

JetJet Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
edited May 18, 2008 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hello Dgrinners..
Had a thought about 'moving forward' and came up with the idea of getting a shot of the front wheel of a bike whilst moving, to get some nice motion blur. What do you think of the concept?
I've put up these two images just as a basic idea, I would use a shorter focal length (I just had my 50mm available) to include more of the bike and maybe a horizon. What do you think?

295608363_3xwiG-L.jpg

295608355_F3t2C-L.jpg
Jethro :D
My Blog
Jethro Kingston Photography
Use this coupon code to get $5 off when joining smugmug: eO3NU7AM85scE

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    It's a good idea, but i would work on the execution. Ideally you want the camera mounted on the bike. That way you can get a good shot of the frame while the wheel and the ground are moving.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    It's a good idea, but i would work on the execution. Ideally you want the camera mounted on the bike. That way you can get a good shot of the frame while the wheel and the ground are moving.

15524779-Ti.gif There needs to be at least some part of the bike in focus which defines what I'm looking at...

Winston
  • jzieglerjziegler Registered Users Posts: 420 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    The idea looks good. But I agree, something in the frame needs to be in better focus.
  • mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    I like the second one, but the angle confuses me a bit. I don't agree that you need it in focus, although I think it's (probably) in focusand that we're seeing all motion blur. I do feel the frame of the bike attached to the wheel subtracts from the picture--it's so large compared to the wheel that I had to look at it a moment to figure out what it was.
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    This was similar to my concept for one of my LPS entries, Man or Machine I think it was.

I do think that, unless you're going for a totally abstract image, you need to have some part of the image in focus. In this case you could try having someone drive a car beside the bike, you in the back seat shooting out the window, to get a steady shot. That way you wouldn't have to rig up a contraption to mount a camera on the bike...
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..