Options

Tip your nick - How'd you pick?

SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
edited August 14, 2004 in The Big Picture
I'm curious about some people's nicks around here. I mean, sure, JimF is fairly easy to sort, but what about wax? Fish?

My curiosity is insatiable at times, but I'll start. My nick is the Latin/Greek meaning of my first name. It also means; mermaid, siren, and is where one parks a boat.

Who's next?
Youth and Enthusiasm
Are No Match For
Age and Treachery

Comments

• Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    A: My motorbike shakes and vibrates so when I get off of it... so do I
    B: My photography stinks so I can blame it on (A)

I still have to make my camera shake icon for my avtar.

Tim
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    well...mine's pretty boring actually. Ya see, I have ADD, and one day back in college, I was making a presentation and all of a sudden lost my train of thought, glanced over to the aquarium in the classroom and shouted "oh look...a fish!" it stuck. nod.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2004
    LOULE!! No sheet, fish.. you serious? So, you have impulse control and distractibility issues too, eh? lol3.gif

Beauty dog, Molson. Sounds like the two of you had a really good, long run at it.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    LOULE!! No sheet, fish.. you serious? So, you have impulse control and distractibility issues too, eh? lol3.gif
    No, I was lying. My username really comes from...oh look! a chicken!
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    Win38-55Win38-55 Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited March 31, 2004
    It is the caliber of the rifle that I shot my first deer with. My grandfather owned it,then my father,now I do.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2004
    Molsondog wrote:
    A tribute to my recently departed Golden Retreiver, Molson. 15+ years. The "ancient one". What a pal she was.
    Oh Molsondoggie, I'm so sorry to hear you lost your pal... believe me, I'm still battling with loss of my best friend Toby... what a little shit he was, very intelligent, thought he was a real big dog but he was a little black cockerpoo.. sigh.. what a joy to have known them tho hey?:cry
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Oh Molsondoggie, I'm so sorry to hear you lost your pal... believe me, I'm still battling with loss of my best friend Toby... what a little shit he was, very intelligent, thought he was a real big dog but he was a little black cockerpoo.. sigh.. what a joy to have known them tho hey?:cry
    Oh.. back to the thread.. my name is lynn and I'm so old and forgetful that I figured it was the only thing I'd remember and Lynn was taken so I added Ma for massachusetts. Very inspired don't ya think?:D
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2004

Lynn, I am here to tell you that it doesn't take age to be forgetful. Just ask my boyfriend.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2004
    I'm an old surfer and I came up with my own board waxing compound. I started a business. My monicker is the name of the product I invented. Unfortunately the business failed, but I keep the name alive.

Huh?

What's that?

You don't wax surfboards, you say? Oh.

Well, no wonder the business failed.

Your turn, fish.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited April 1, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I'm an old surfer and I came up with my own board waxing compound. I started a business. My monicker is the name of the product I invented. Unfortunately the business failed, but I keep the name alive.

Huh?

What's that?

You don't wax surfboards, you say? Oh.

Well, no wonder the business failed.

Your turn, fish.
    Waxy, it's called Sex Wax and it's not just surfers that buy it rolleyes1.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2004
    Hmmm....first name and area code. Not very original.

ian
  • Options
    peachmaanpeachmaan Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    Hmmm....first name and area code. Not very original.
    ian
    Last name + adding two a's subtracting an N... go figure it out... and translate it from german
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Your turn, fish.
    ok ok. first four letters of my last name. It's been my username for 16 years. Back when we could name our hosts, everybody had clever username@hostname addresses, such as hard@work, kid@heart, hutch@wabbit. I was fish@chips.
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2004
    Oh fish, you are SO (Silicon) Valley.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    Oh fish, you are SO (Silicon) Valley.
    guilty. :hang
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited April 3, 2004
    initials + 164. The reason for 164 is so old I don't remember it.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Charles do you really speak Japanese??bowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited April 3, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    I think you forgot that it's supposed to be 42. :D
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2004
    Seamaiden wrote:
    I think you forgot that it's supposed to be 42. :D

The answer to the ultimative question????????? thumb.gif

and fish. --> Fish at Chips??
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    Oh.. back to the thread.. my name is lynn and I'm so old and forgetful that I figured it was the only thing I'd remember and Lynn was taken so I added Ma for massachusetts. Very inspired don't ya think?:D

And I thought ma is for mom... headscratch.gif
    Another and.... and did your eyes always blink in your avatar?? Or did you add that feature recently?? -'cause I just noticed it....
    Little slow , ya know..
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2004
    peachmaan wrote:

and fish. --> Fish at Chips??
    ne_nau.gif

Second choice was fish@$5.99/lb but they wouldn't let me use special characters :D
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2004
    <sm thinks fish would sell himself cheap>
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited April 4, 2004
    I had a mid-life crisis, rode my motorcycle through Mexico, and shaved my head bald with a Norelco when I crossed the border. I sent my family an email from an Internet cafe Mexico City about the shaved head; my wife freaked and my kids decided I rocked.

One of my best friends christened me Baldy and it stuck.

ChrisAcapulco.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited April 4, 2004
    Back in the days of dinosaurs and Citizens Band Radios, Pathfinder was my handle because I was usually in the lead vehicle when a group of us would convoy to Colorado to go skiing or Florida to go diving. Lead, follow or get out of the way OR if you follow the southen end of a north bound cow, the view never changes.Laughing.gif

Pathfinder
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2004
    peachmaan wrote:
    The answer to the ultimative question????????? thumb.gif
    Heh.. you know it, baby! Still waiting for the story of your nick, but I'll tell you this much, it always puts that Stranglers song in my head "Peaches"

Walkin' on the beaches
    Lookin' at the PEACHES

Doo doo-doo
    doo-doo doo-doo doo
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2004
    OK, since Fish 'fessed, I shall too. No biggie. I work for an outfit that works with weather. And I write and make moving pictures about the subject. In other words, I wax about the weather. Weather abbreviated in my biz is wx. Hence wxwax. Sure, it could've been waxwx, but jeez, that's been done so often. :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited April 4, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, since Fish 'fessed, I shall too. No biggie. I work for an outfit that works with weather. And I write and make moving pictures about the subject. In other words, I wax about the weather. Weather abbreviated in my bix is wx. Hence wxwax. Sure, it could've been waxwx, but jeez, that's been done so often. :D

BTW, ol waxy produced an outstanding documentary about Alaska that we saw last year. Is it available on tape or DVD?
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2004
    fish wrote:
    BTW, ol waxy produced an outstanding documentary about Alaska that we saw last year. Is it available on tape or DVD?
    Thank you. Unfortunately, not.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2004
    Alaska! I wanna go back...looking like next year.

ian
  • Options
    edited April 5, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, since Fish 'fessed, I shall too. No biggie. I work for an outfit that works with weather. And I write and make moving pictures about the subject. In other words, I wax about the weather. Weather abbreviated in my biz is wx. Hence wxwax. Sure, it could've been waxwx, but jeez, that's been done so often. :D
    Well, that is, by my take, INFINITELY more interesting than any sticky old sufr wax.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery