A couple of shots...

shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
edited May 16, 2008 in People
A couple to share and get feedback on. Thanks for looking and commenting!

1)
295678300_5vNDr-L.jpg

2)
295678041_UK9pw-L.jpg

3)
295677805_uf4ke-L.jpg

4)
295677440_juyxE-L.jpg

5)
295680146_qTZpd-L.jpg

Comments

• SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Nicely done....nicely processed. Great variety. Nice to see you posting again. Super work.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Wonderful shots iloveyou.gif

#3 & #4 are a bit too blown out for my taste .... but I love the composition, and everybody looks to natural! Great job!clap.gif I think my favorite is #2 :D
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:
    Nicely done....nicely processed. Great variety. Nice to see you posting again. Super work.
    15524779-Ti.gif Not only blown out, but because of that nor enough contrast between the peoples white clothed bodies and the BG. Just alot of floating heads!

If shot in raw, lowering the Exposue with some Recovery and Strong Contrast should help those two.

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Very nice! I am not big on the vignette on the feet - you lose some of the toes.

I love #3, but they are all wonderful shots!

(And I can't stand taking photos of people in white - you have to work SO hard to get detail without making faces too dark. UGH!)
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Swartzy wrote:

Good to be back. Took a while to get the dust off the camera. Thanks for the kind comments.
    edited May 15, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:

#3 & #4 are a bit too blown out for my taste .... but I love the composition, and everybody looks to natural! Great job!clap.gif I think my favorite is #2 :D

Thank you for the feedback. 3&4 were my attempt to replicate Andi's PP techniques. I can't compete with her...but I like trying. #2 is one of my girls. She was swinging in a shadow which created a great catchlight in her eyes. Thanks again.
    edited May 15, 2008
    DonRicklin wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif Not only blown out, but because of that nor enough contrast between the peoples white clothed bodies and the BG. Just alot of floating heads!

If shot in raw, lowering the Exposue with some Recovery and Strong Contrast should help those two.

Don

And I thought that "floating heads" was becoming popular. :D
    The "out of camera" shots were within exposure guidelines, but my PP blew them out. See previous post of my intent.
    Thanks for the feedback.
    edited May 15, 2008
    Very nice! I am not big on the vignette on the feet - you lose some of the toes.

I love #3, but they are all wonderful shots!

(And I can't stand taking photos of people in white - you have to work SO hard to get detail without making faces too dark. UGH!)

Thanks for the comments. How are things in Crested Butte? I tried to replicate your classic PP in shots 3&4. Ok...so I didn't get it as good as you do, but hey, if I can't try, I'll never become. The day I shot the family in white was about 35 degrees F. They did a great job looking natural in an adverse temperture.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Wonderful photographs
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Agnieszka wrote:

Agnieszka spoke my thoughts.

...#2 is perfect.
    edited May 15, 2008
    Wonderful photographs

Thanks Awais. I haven't seen any of your amazing street shots lately. Is it me...have I been gone that much or have things been busy for you?
    edited May 15, 2008
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Agnieszka spoke my thoughts.

...#2 is perfect.

Thanks Jeff. BTW it has been fun to watch your work over time. You continue to get better and better; leaving the rest of us back here.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Thanks Jeff. BTW it has been fun to watch your work over time. You continue to get better and better; leaving the rest of us back here.

Hmmm I'm not so sure about that last remark....rolleyes1.gif ...but thanks.
  • BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    These are great! I love the family shot and the BW looks great!
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
    edited May 15, 2008
    BriShay wrote:
    These are great! I love the family shot and the BW looks great!

Thanks BriShay! Stopped by your site. Great work. You sure know how to make a child's face come to life and the eyes really pop! Great work!
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    talk to me about the posing on the first one. I like it. Is she leaning back just a bit?
    edited May 15, 2008
    joshhuntnm wrote:
    talk to me about the posing on the first one. I like it. Is she leaning back just a bit?

Here is her pose. The other shot (#1) is a zoomed in shot of this position with just a slight variation of face position.

295977522_6xnWb-L.jpg
  • ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    These are all great shots.

Love #2 -- I am a sucker for close-ups of little faces just can't resist!!!!

Love #3 & 4 --- Superb !!!!

Really like the feet line up just wasn't really crazy about the lighting or processing ? of that one ... just a personal thing I guess.

Great job on your photos.
    LadyTX
    edited May 15, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    These are all great shots.

Love #2 -- I am a sucker for close-ups of little faces just can't resist!!!!

Love #3 & 4 --- Superb !!!!

Really like the feet line up just wasn't really crazy about the lighting or processing ? of that one ... just a personal thing I guess.

Great job on your photos.

Thank you LadyTX for the kind comments...as well as getting specific about some of them. Thanks!
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    shatch wrote:
    Thanks for the comments. How are things in Crested Butte? I tried to replicate your classic PP in shots 3&4. Ok...so I didn't get it as good as you do, but hey, if I can't try, I'll never become. The day I shot the family in white was about 35 degrees F. They did a great job looking natural in an adverse temperture.

Things are good! We're finally melting a little... Might actually hit the 60's this weekend! Wooohooo!!!!

You're so kind! Thank you! *blush*

One thing I'll do if I run into that situation is (I think you're using LR for these) to lower the exposure until you just get the detail in the white back, bring up the fill light. And if it's still a tad dark in the faces, I'd try playing with the yellow/orange sliders for the grayscale adjustments. Just be careful because you can overly smooth faces and make them look flat if you're not careful. It's definitely hard with white, but i dont' think you're that far off!