Options

Gary Fong's Lightsphere Photojournalist

RayLarsonRayLarson Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
edited May 17, 2008 in People
2483341784_97a09d73e5_b.jpg

Just picked up a Clear Lightsphere after seeing one used very successfully at a wedding a few weeks ago. I am very pleased with the results. This shot was a quick test and I was very happy with the dispersion of light from my SB-600. Certainly worth the price (it was on sale) and it really works well in both landscape and portrait modes eliminating the need for a flash bracket. When you're not taking pictures you can also store your spinach salad in it..LOL :ivar
Ray Larson
Nikon D80, D300, D700 all gripped, Nikkor 50 f1.8 Nikkor 18-200 VR Nikkor 70-200 VR f2.8 Nikkor 28-300 VR, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 Sigma 80-400 OS Sigma 150-500 OS Nikon SB600

Comments

• Options
    BriShayBriShay Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    Laughing.gif, spinich salad....where did you get it on sale at?
    Shayna
    I'm a Nikon Girl:tuesday
    www.BriShayPhotography.com
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    I have been using the cloud version with great results for several months myself. It does what it is supposed to do.
  • Options
    ladytxladytx Registered Users Posts: 814 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    That lit the place up very nicely. What a wonderful looking dog!!
    LadyTX
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2008
    ladytx wrote:
    That lit the place up very nicely. What a wonderful looking dog!!

He is "Drago". We flew him to the US from outside Berlin when he was 5 months old. He is a sweetheart unless you try to harm me or my wife, then he is your worse nightmare. He is a little over a year and a half old now and is the best GS we have ever had. Here's a picture when he was younger about 10 months.

Thanks for the comments.....

MN3vsPo6P+LAB78PLvshYMn9pdB6ZyG60300.jpg
    Ray Larson
    Nikon D80, D300, D700 all gripped, Nikkor 50 f1.8 Nikkor 18-200 VR Nikkor 70-200 VR f2.8 Nikkor 28-300 VR, Sigma 50-150 f2.8 Sigma 80-400 OS Sigma 150-500 OS Nikon SB600
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    I like my clear a lot better than my cloud (for different flashes).... I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

(As a side note, I'm not very fond of my whaletail.)
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2008
    I like my clear a lot better than my cloud (for different flashes).... I'm sure you'll enjoy it!

(As a side note, I'm not very fond of my whaletail.)

So far I am very pleased. I think the clear has a lot of advantages over the cloud. In addition it is more pliable for stuffing in your photo bag
    Ray Larson
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2008
    My two-cents-- while the GF accessories do a nice job, they also waste light (and force your strobe to work harder than it needs to meaning your recycle times are longer) since they spray light in 360 degrees. This is obviously more of a concern for folks who shoot events. But for the price, I'm not convinced it's a very good product.

Anyway, I suspect the photo in the OP would look very similar if the strobe had simply been bounced off the ceiling. In a pinch (when the ceiling isn't white) I've even used a piece of white paper held to the side and pivoted my strobe to bounce the light off it.

My point is it's not the device-- it's the photographer and how they work with the light. At the very least, you should understand that the GF devices generally throw light in all kinds of places it's not needed, which will increase your recycle rate and give you less flashes off a charge.

I personally love my "fun-foam" diffusers. They cost about 99-cents to make, they pack up better than any GF device, and best of all, all the light from my strobe is directed forward where the lens is pointing rather than scattered/wasted all around the room.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2008
    You should be ashamed of yourself!!! Look at that poor little dog. He's scared to death. I hope he bites you. :D

Sam