What Nikon lenses to use in Yosemite Park?

net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
edited June 2, 2008 in Cameras
I will be there next month with my D300 and would like to rent a lens or two to cover my needs.

Of course I will need to do wide angle landscapes etc. For that I will get the 12-24mm. I have my 18-200mm lens I love, for walk around stuff. I am thinking of then getting the 70-200mm VR lens for near distance subjects or when sharpness is the highest priority. Maybe get a 1.7x teleconverter?

Of course my 18-200mm is no way near as sharp as the 70-200mm, but I am wondering if this lens is 'good' enough to cover under 70mm range? Anyway, I will be renting these two lenses will set me back at least $250.

Are the 12-24mm & 70-200mm lenses to rent good enough for the trip and cover what I will need? Can you think of anything else?
Candy For Your Eyes @ Paint By Pixels

http://www.paintbypixels.com

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 15, 2008
    net1994 wrote:
    ... Of course my 18-200mm is no way near as sharp as the 70-200mm, but I am wondering if this lens is 'good' enough to cover under 70mm range? ...

Since you own that lens just run some tests on scenery close to home that might be similar to what you will encounter at Yosemite.

If you need to shoot wide open, you might consider something else.
    net1994 wrote:
    ... Are the 12-24mm & 70-200mm lenses to rent good enough for the trip and cover what I will need? ...

I suspect you will find those lenses very appropriate to the trip. Yes I would toss in a teleconverter.
    net1994 wrote:
    ... Can you think of anything else?

I would want something with a very large aperture in a middlin focal range. The Nikkor 50mm, f1.8 AF-D at very least, but for the Nikon D300 the 35mm, f2 AF-D might be a better choice.

Either a short macro or at least a close-focus accessory lens might be good to have. A P&S with macro might be fine in a pinch.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • net1994net1994 Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:

I would want something with a very large aperture in a middlin focal range. The Nikkor 50mm, f1.8 AF-D at very least, but for the Nikon D300 the 35mm, f2 AF-D might be a better choice.

Either a short macro or at least a close-focus accessory lens might be good to have. A P&S with macro might be fine in a pinch.

I have the 50mm 1.8D lens. Why would you recommend brining this prime lens? What kind of subject matter would it be ideal for? How would such a wide apeture help with a fixed lens? No portraiture here.

• MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    net1994 wrote:
    I have the 50mm 1.8D lens. Why would you recommend brining this prime lens? What kind of subject matter would it be ideal for? How would such a wide apeture help with a fixed lens? No portraiture here.

I am with Ziggy on this one, keep the 50mm 1.8 with you. True that there isn't likely to be any portraiture on this trip, but if you want any shots with something nice and interesting up close with a good blurred background, the wider apeture on the 50mm is nice to have (think a flower with a mountain in the backgroud.) Besides, it is a pretty sharp lens, and nice and small. I shoot just about everything with it or my 18-200 VR on my D200. (Note: I have stopped bothering shooting the 50mm at f1.8. It is just a bit too soft wide open. It seems to be plenty happy once you start to get closer to f4. But this is true of most lenses; they are almost always sharper a little bit stopped down from wide open.)

I can't really think of anything much that the 12-24, the 70-200 VR, the 18-200 VR, and the 50mm couldn't handle to tell the truth. If you really wanted to save on space, you could probably ditch the 50mm first, but it is the smallest of the bunch.

Just my 2 cents. Oh, and I am very jealous that you are taking this trip! We expect to see pictures when you return! :)

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
    edited May 15, 2008
    net1994 wrote:

DOF control. Some scenics really shout for limited DOF to indicate distances.
    ziggy53
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    I'm just finishing up a week in Sedona, AZ. I took withme the D3 & D30 bodies. My lenses were the 14-24 2.8, the 28-70 2.8, the 70-200mm 2.8 VR and the 18-200mm VR.

I used the 18-200 on the D300 when I needed to travel light. The rest of the week I used the other 3 lenses while I took landscape images. I used the 14-24 for about 25% of ny captures, the 28-70 took about 70% of my images and the rest were with the 70-200.

I would recommend a good mid range zoom plus a wide angle lens for your trip.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    I heading to Yosemite myself Saturday morning for about 4 days. I have a Sigma 10-20MM, and a Nikon 80-400MM rented from Borrowlenses.com to go along with my Tamron 28-75MM and the Nikon 50MM. I'm might also pack a flash for some portraits and pics in the Maraposa Redwoods. I'll be the guy with a Smugmug camera strap and a wheel Barrow full of gear rolleyes1.gif

You might also like to know that the Ansel Adams gallery does a free photowalk on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays at 9am. Call (800) 568-7398 to sign up. Here is the gallery website as well.

I'm quite excited for my trip. I've only been to California once, and I don't often get out of Iowa now.
    edited May 15, 2008
    Shane422 wrote:
    I heading to Yosemite myself Saturday morning for about 4 days. I have a Sigma 10-20MM, and a Nikon 80-400MM rented from Borrowlenses.com to go along with my Tamron 28-75MM and the Nikon 50MM. I'm might also pack a flash for some portraits and pics in the Maraposa Redwoods. I'll be the guy with a Smugmug camera strap and a wheel Barrow full of gear rolleyes1.gif

You might also like to know that the Ansel Adams gallery does a free photowalk on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturdays at 9am. Call (800) 568-7398 to sign up. Here is the gallery website as well.

I'm quite excited for my trip. I've only been to California once, and I don't often get out of Iowa now.

Hey Shane.

Watch out my man, all week it has been in the 90's in the park. Tomorrow it will be around 95! What are you going to be walking around with, besides your gear? Get a camel pack, good hat, knife or bear repellent if possible. Plenty of sunscreen and some trailmix. I will stay @ Curry Village for 5 days in June. Hopefully not too hot out?

I am not looking to specifically shoot any wildlife. The 80-400 is a superb lens in terms of sharpness, but is slow as hell. But of course this all depends on what your taking pics of.

I am renting my lenses from the same place. Great service. A bit expensive, but still a bargain compared to buying the lens. I will be bringing my D50 body as well and I thought about getting the battery pack for my D300. But at that point, its just too much weight I'll be carrying around.

Do you have a itinerary or shots in your mind you MUST get? When you get back post a link of your shots.

• danbrewdanbrew Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2008
    The 18-200 is a very nice lens - I would never think of buying or renting the 70-200 or 80-200 in lieu of the 18-200. Yep, you bet that the other lenses are faster, consistent 2.8 throughout, etc. But... do you need that? Read this: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/70200vr.htm.

I just spend a month in Asia and I didn't bring the monster heavy lenses. I brought an 18-200, the 12-24 (very very nice), plus a fun little 10.5 dx. Nice. A teleconverter would be an easy thing to throw in your bag, but at a place like Yosemite, I'd be thinking wide wide wide before thinking about how to get the best x zoom. but that's just me.

trying to use pro lenses for those ranges would easily add another 20 lbs to your bag.
    edited May 15, 2008
    Well I don't really have an itenerary, but I did buy "PhotoSecrets Yosemite" by Andrew Hudson which pretty much covers the park "must have" shots. I also heard about a trail that was closed that is still passable that I may try which takes you to Sierra Point where you can see 4 of the 5 waterfalls.

I know I will be overwhelmed on our trip. It is an all dudes trip with my in laws and a few other friends, so I'll only have to worry about caring for myself, not the wife and two year old. We are starting with Alcatraz on Sunday, then heading to Yosemite that afternoon. Thursday we move on to Monteray Bay.

I know I'll have too much gear, but oh well. I tend to do that. I may have to pass some of it off to some of the other guys. None of them will have anything more than a point and shoot with them.
    edited May 16, 2008
    Shane422 wrote:
    Well I don't really have an itenerary, but I did buy "PhotoSecrets Yosemite" by Andrew Hudson which pretty much covers the park "must have" shots. I also heard about a trail that was closed that is still passable that I may try which takes you to Sierra Point where you can see 4 of the 5 waterfalls.

I know I will be overwhelmed on our trip. It is an all dudes trip with my in laws and a few other friends, so I'll only have to worry about caring for myself, not the wife and two year old. We are starting with Alcatraz on Sunday, then heading to Yosemite that afternoon. Thursday we move on to Monteray Bay.

I know I'll have too much gear, but oh well. I tend to do that. I may have to pass some of it off to some of the other guys. None of them will have anything more than a point and shoot with them.

Not sure if it is to late for you, but this is perhaps the MUST HAVE book for going to Yosemite, for photographers. Its a steal at less than $12. It tells you where and when you need to be in a exact spot to get the best picture for a given point in the park. See if you can snag it before you go.

The Photographer's Guide to Yosemite

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1930238002

edited May 17, 2008
    I will be taking the 18-200VR, 50mm 1.8, 12-24mm and the 70-200VR.

Now I know the 70-200 VR does not really do wide angle, but I'm taking it for its sharpness. I have used it before and the IQ is stunning. The sharpest lens I've ever used. Would the 24-70mm lens be sharper?

I'm still on the fence about a teleconverter. I'd go for the 1.7x or 1.4x if someone could give me a good reason.

Anyone?

edited May 18, 2008
    net1994 wrote:

Now I know the 70-200 VR does not really do wide angle, but I'm taking it for its sharpness. I have used it before and the IQ is stunning. The sharpest lens I've ever used. Would the 24-70mm lens be sharper?

I'm still on the fence about a teleconverter. I'd go for the 1.7x or 1.4x if someone could give me a good reason.

Anyone?

The Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm, f/2.8G ED is a very good to excellent zoom and would be a great compliment to the Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm, f/2.8 G IF-ED VR. It would indeed be sharper than the Nikkor AF-S 18-200mm, f/3.5-5.6 G IF-ED VR II DX but not nearly as convenient and does not have the VR feature.

The combination of:

Nikkor AF-S 12-24mm, f/4G IF-ED DX
    Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm, f/2.8G ED
    Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm, f/2.8 G IF-ED VR

... would take you seamlessly from 12-200mm and with pretty astonishing quality. The 50mm, f1.8 makes it a very rounded kit. What you would do with it is still very much under your control.

I still think you should test your existing AF-S 18-200mm, f/3.5-5.6 to determine if it serves portions of your needs.

The teleconverters don't take up much room or weigh too much, so you would bring one for extended reach with the 200mm end of the long zoom. Wildlife is much more attainable with a longer lens.

I believe in your previous thread I suggested the Nikkor 300mm, f4 ED-IF AF-S and TC-14E II converter. The zoom at 200mm plus converter might meet your needs. You would just have to be a little more stealthy and patient.
    ziggy53
  • rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2008
    Photosecrets Yosemite is a great guide...
    Shane422 wrote:
    Well I don't really have an itinerary, but I did buy "PhotoSecrets Yosemite" by Andrew Hudson which pretty much covers the park "must have" shots. I also heard about a trail that was closed that is still passable that I may try which takes you to Sierra Point where you can see 4 of the 5 waterfalls.

I won't comment on your choices of Nikon lenses since I am a Canon guy.

However, I will make three comments:

1. Photosecrets Yosemite by Andrew Hudson is IMO an indispensable guide to photographing that area. Unless you have all the time in the world to blunder on the appropriate areas at the appropriate time of the day for correct lighting or unless you are intimately familiar with this area as was Ansel Adams; the Photosecrets book will help you plan your excursion through that wonderful valley so you will be able to view the paramount vistas at the right time of day. And, by the way, the book also gives some pointers regarding focal length. It is available very inexpensively through Amazon.com and is small and light enough to carry in your camera bag or photo vest.
    http://www.amazon.com/PhotoSecrets-Yosemite-Photosecrets-Andrew-Hudson/dp/0965308707

2. I would definitely bring (AND USE) a tripod for most, if not all of the landscapes. It is amazing how the technical quality of imagery from virtually any lens can be improved by shooting at a couple of stops smaller than the maximum aperture of your lens while having the camera/lens solidly supported on a tripod.

3. Before you travel to Yosemite experiment with shooting panoramas. panos (especially panos shot with the camera in the portrait position) are a wonderful way to record the beautiful vistas in Yosemite and just about everywhere else.
    edited May 22, 2008
    Well I haven't returned from my trip yet, but I'm out of the park and in Monterey Bay. But now that I have had time in the park, my advice would be that the 18-135MM range would have covered 99% of everything I shot. The lady that led the Ansel Adams Photo walk used a 18-200MM for everything that she showed us.

Just a note, it does suck getting in the park right now. There are several construction delays on Hwy 140, which will cause you to sit for about 30 minutes at each. But hopefully you are staying in the park. If not get up early. Tioga Pass did open up yesterday and Olmsted Point is definitely worth the drive. There is a different view of Half Dome from there where you can see the cables up the back (see photo below), but you'll need a telephoto for that shot.

I did rent the Sigma 10-20 which was a nice perspective for the Sequoas at Muir Woods and the Giant Sequoas in the Mariposa grove.
    296913527_yMmN5-S.jpg

The 80-400 was only helpful for the Olmsted Point view of Half Dome (400MM),
    299868755_8iuzH-M.jpg and also when someone pointed out this guy hanging from near the top of Yosemite Falls. It should also be nice for tomorrows whale watching tour. Otherwise I wish I would have just rented the 70-300VR.
    299869023_t3p38-M.jpg

Please take note that these are only quick Picasa conversions of Nikon Raw files. No serious editing has occurred just yet. I used a lot of bracketing and hope to make some HDR photos from these.
  • hindsyhindsy Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited May 31, 2008
    your shots make me miss it
    I was there in 2003 and was shooting with film... Got some really nice shots with my nikkor AF 28-80 and 75-300mm. I can't wait to take my wife and daughter back there! I have family in Modesto. Hope to make the trek again soon!
    Hindsy's X-treme Photos
    http://www.pymatuningmx.com/index.html :thumb
  • jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2008
    net1994 wrote:

Anyone?

I have used the 1.7x on the 70 - 200mm VR. I was happy the day I got it and a year later, celebrated the day I got my 200 - 400mm VR as I could finally stop using the tc (...well.. besides the obvious joy of the 200-400VR!!). While I enjoyed the extra reach, it seemed to degrade after time and finally induced a bit of slop to where the lens contacts would lose contact and cause all sorts of freaky problems. (blank shots, all indicators flashing like a self distruct sequence had been selected and scaring me half to death in the process)

Of course maybe it was just my copy or more possibly I caused it from all the use. ..however, even from some comparison of the early pics using the tc, it almost felt sinful to have used it. I am happy to be using the 70 - 200 VR on it's own again.

I have heard many times that tc's are best used on a prime. I learned this the hard way. So when I need even more reach as I always seem to, I will be either saving up for the 600mm or rent one. ..but VR or non VR... hmm just not sure yet. mwink.gif
  • Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2008
    I would really love to bring my 70-200 with me to Yosemite, but ... it's not gonna fit in my camera bag. My camera bag purchases can't keep up with my lens purchases.. :cry

Since I am a Canonite, I am bringing my 50 f/1.4, 12-24, and 24-70. I'll see if I can squeeze my 70-200 into the bag for that reach! I am camping outside of Yosemite as I wasn't able to get a reservation inside the park in time. :cry
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
    edited June 2, 2008
    I finally (almost) have my travel kit:

Canon 40D
    Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 50mm, f/1.4 USM
    Tamron 1.4x teleconverter (I may be getting the Canon version as the Tamron does not work so well with the 70-200mm)
    Close focus adapter, 3.3 diopter, to fit the 50mm, f/1.4, gives about 1/2 lifesize.
    Sigma 500 DG Super flash
    Sunpak 383 Super flash
    Charger and spare battery.

It all fits in a fairly moderate older camera bag. Slight gap at 55-70mm is not (currently) a problem.
    ziggy53
    edited June 2, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I finally (almost) have my travel kit:

Canon 40D
    Sigma 10-20mm, f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
    Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM
    Canon EF 70-200mm, f/4L IS USM
    Canon EF 50mm, f/1.4 USM
    Tamron 1.4x teleconverter (I may be getting the Canon version as the Tamron does not work so well with the 70-200mm)
    Close focus adapter, 3.3 diopter, to fit the 50mm, f/1.4, gives about 1/2 lifesize.
    Sigma 500 DG Super flash
    Sunpak 383 Super flash
    Charger and spare battery.

It all fits in a fairly moderate older camera bag. Slight gap at 55-70mm is not (currently) a problem.

How much does your bag weigh???

edited June 2, 2008
    net1994 wrote:
    How much does your bag weigh???

14 lbs - 6.35 kg (digital scales)
    ziggy53